Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII-3D-CyberMoose-Skrapp

Hello everyone,

Glad to join the ranks of you all here at Polycount.

This is my first post on this site, and I am throwing in my two cents into the Dominance War. I was envisioning a resourceful mystical eco-warrior and this is what I came up with.

Name: Skrapp

Class: Clericon

Race: Mutant Animal (Rackens)

Skrapp is the spiritual leader of the Rackens. The Rackens are an evolved race of bipedal raccoons who worship the power of mother nature and are masterful scroungers.

Skrapp dwells with his people in the a vast debris field that they have picked clean of "junk" Some of these surviving historical items have been imbued with the mystical forces of the planet itself. One such item is his magical bowling ball named "Striker", and he wields a staff that for all appearances is just a shoveling spade.

Known Artifact: "Striker"
Sphere of Control: Earth

Has tectonic powers which when employed can cause knock opponents down or keep them off balance. It has been known to cause massive tremors in the past upon the command of its wielder.

Skrapp_of_Racken.jpg

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting character, though I'm not sure about his artifact, looks like a bowling ball. Would be cool though fi it is but I don't know if that will last in the long run. Perhaps some more details on it or deformation?
    Otherwise I think the thumb with the shotgun looks very interesting as well.
    Keep us updated. ^^
  • CyberMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah It is a bowling ball actually...I should have said. The idea being that it is made of enchanted stone. I was also thinking of putting the polycount symbol either on the bowling ball or on the bottle cap on his plastic bottle that he wears on his belt.

I also had the idea that the most holy place for his race is the ruins of a long forgotten museum. Because that is where they would get the most interesting relics and trinkets.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this is great!!
  • VanArts_John_Laakso
    Here is an update of where the progress of "Skrapp" is going. Colours choice is still in flux as are possible extra attire.

Skrapp_Progress_02.jpg
  • VanArts_John_Laakso
    I have been working out some design issues that became apparent in 3D. Looking at raccoon reference I have been trying to differentiate the head from that of a dog or cat.

Also I have noticed that many raccoons are quite fat so I am putting some weight on him. I modeled him without rage and craziness, which I will punch up as I get deeper in the process.

Also I am planning to once him over again for good places to collapse edges.

Anyways here is where I am now.

Skrapp_Early_Modeling.jpg
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Hey John,

Great execution on the concept. Only suggestion i'd have is watch how the tail appears from the front. As in the first front cap, it doesn't look like a tail laugh.gif I'm not crazy on the bowling ball idea as I don't see the relationship between bowling and racoons. Perhaps a garbage can lid for a shield? Cat pelts for dress?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    looks very promissing to me
    like the plate-armor *G*
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHA! Awesome!

-caseyjones
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    lol, awesome! please finish. I like the ear tags.
  • CyberMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, thanks for the comments.

I have made some changes.

-First off instead of a bowling ball with tectonic powers, it is now a huge magial frying pan called "Sizz-lar".
    When held high it can cause opponents in it's area of effect to overheat. While it is activated the edges of the pan's metal glow a super-heated orange colour.

-The shovel has become a rake-type gardening tool.

- I am toying with the idea of a shower curtain cloak or cape but am thinking of not doing that now do to polygon count and how it may effect his sillhouette which I am happy with right now.

-The hubcap was replaced by three hanging CD/DVD discs. Each CD representing a rank level in his culture.

-am think of adding a "shamanistic" pouch on his other hip. Not sure about doing it yet though, given polycount.

-I will likely texture in some bandage wrap onto his other forearm (not the tin can clad one).

- I will also introduce some bad hair day and random greasiness when I get to the texture stage.

I also want to add in the background that the "Racken" (his people) are known to raid the time-capsules that people of the 20-21st century were known to place in underground vaults only to be rediscovered in later ages.

In terms of design. I know I am getting tight on polygons so I am hoping I can make aenough alpha planes to be alright with the tufts of fur. I also hope to be able to go into Zbrush this week.

Skrapp_Progress_04.jpg
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Oh man this is badass

So much fun in this character, thanks for making me laugh.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    i love the pan artifact!!!

made me lol myself ... death my frying pan to the dome ... bad way to go.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Nice proportions smile.gif
    Didn't know racoons could read english.. laugh.gif
  • CyberMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks,

Well, its been awhile since my last post, and seeing as we are nearing the finish line I figured I should update with where I was a week ago.

If Skrapp isn't finished to my satisfaction by the 11th, I am still going to see him through until I am hapy with it and post him on Polycount when done. I am having alot of fun with this model, and wouldn't mind following up on building up more backstory and additonal characters in his neck of the woods.

Anyways, as for where this update is at, he was given an overall textue in preparation for further Zbrush work.

Currently I am have converted the colour texture to polypaint in Zbrush. Ths has the advantage of allowing me to sculpt using the colour as guides, which is especially important for the fur.

I will also be refining the overall details in Zbrush using Polypaint, ZApplink, and Photoshop.
    Thereafter, I plan on doing some additional maps for specular and pehaps glow as well.

Finally, I wil light him and render him off.

Additionally, after the deadline I will also make him a decent looking base to stand upon. Most likely strewn with cans, shredded plastic bags, tire fragments and styrofoam, on an uneven base.

Thats it for now, I better get back to it then.

Skrapp_Update_6.jpg
    [