Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - dr_wagner - Clericon

Here are some thumbs. I'm aiming for some sort of old grizzled warrior-monk guy with lots of heavy leather armor, buckles, etc. Thinking about assymetrical arms, one with a big oven-mit glove to carry the glowing hot artifact.

clericon01_sm.jpg

clericon02_sm.jpg

clericon03_sm.jpg

Replies

• zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    i like 13 and 18 smile.gif
  • dr_wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a first pass. needs more work.

clericon04_sm.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Great style, 12 and 18 stand out most for me.
  • NuclearWarrior
    Liking this guys proportions/shapes. I was gonna say about the earlier sketches that some of the guys were looking gears of war-ish, but you've ended up with something different in the end. There's not a lot of crap sticking off of him, yet he still has a pretty distinct silhouette. All the details are real nice too and should come out great when translated to 3D. The head is cool and the artifact is awesome. The only thing I would crit, and it's not even a crit, more like a warning, is to make sure to have some color variation on his limbs otherwise it'll be kinda boring. I'm sure your keeping that kind of stuff in mind though. This is already one of my fav concepts on Polycount.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That's cool, I groove on the big El Hefe mustache of the most recent concept.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I like his look, but he does have a bit of that standard space marine shape, especially around the head area. How about pulling his 'collar' area back a bit to the straps and chest/mask

Something more like this:

wagedit.jpg
  • Michael Dashow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael Dashow polycounter lvl 16
    Hey, Alex, looking cool so far! My favorite part are the wrought-iron torches on the shoulders: They really add to the silhouette and the spiky shape is very classic/gothic, and very unique. More touches in other areas with some similar shapes might be nice to see too. Maybe some spikes sticking out of the gloves or boots?

I also agree with NuclearWarrior's comments about color variation - what if you brought some of the green from the belly-plate into a few other spots in small doses, like the gantlets or the shoulder-blade area?

Anyhow, great work, looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for teeling me about this!

-mike
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    18 is amazing if you ask me.. but still just awesome work! keep it up!

www.viacaedo.com
  • dr_wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits so far - keep 'em coming. Here's another stab at this thing. Same guy, little buffer - I'm trying to think more about the post-apoc. mad max gear.

clericon05_sm.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    That's really kicked it up a gear, and works the post apocalyptic angle. Instead of standard buckles, you could try those click belt things.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer the previous version's build. The 'superhero proportions' are kind of screwing up the feel he had there for me.
  • dr_wagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'm gonna get this thing finished! Here's another concept and the first pass at sculpting the torso. I'm trying to get up to speed with ZB3, so there's a lot of hack n slash sculpting going on.

clericon07_sm.jpg

clericon_sculpt1.jpg

any advice appreciated - especially tips on the hi-res sculpting.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    get some reference on all the parts you want to sculpt - leather, cloth, metal etc.

that the minute it still reads as a subdivided model with surface noise, you want to push a lot more depth with your high poly model. Don't be afraid to model some of the higher res parts and pull them into your sculpting package to complement what it already there.