Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Helixx - untiltled

Helixx
polygon
Offline / Send Message
Helixx polygon
Hey folks, just got back from GDC and figured I'd post some of the ideas that were stewing around in the brainbucket for the last couple days.
So far I've come up with a 20-30 old male humanoid, lives in the slums, poor, skinny due to lack of real nourishment. Lost his family to the machines.
Dark, not depressed but vengeful.
His artifact will be an amplifier of his rage and hate.
So far for his clothing i've got him wearing a robe of some kind stitched together from stuff he's found being a scavenger. Any accessories on him will be scavenged stuff as well.
Being from the slums he's had to turn to stealing food to stay alive. One day he and his buddies decide to steal from a curio vendor in town and he nabs a few things. One of the things he grabbed was a strange looking bracelet. He put the bracelet on and immediately felt the power coursing through his veins. The bracelet changed shape and turned into a strange dark gauntlet and he found that he could at first use it to move things. Being fueled by his rage and hate the more engaged in combat he becomes the stronger he gets.

So far as the drawings go I'm having some troubles getting down what i see in my head but i'll post some stuff as soon as i get something worthwhile on paper.

I at first had an idea of making the same type of character but instead of the gauntlet he has a claw with a puppet attached which would be used to control other beings... still deciding.

Replies

• Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Initial sketches.. heads are just placeholders and i'll be doing some thumbnails for it separately.
    dw3_sketch01.jpg
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Well I've done a bit of a redesign having thought a bit more. I'm now leaning towards a female character. Same story, basically poor, parentless, however her artifact and her body now work as one. Her one arm was hurt during the attacks and now she keeps her mutilated arm hidden away from view under her robe. In her good hand she has (the artifact)a glove/gauntlet that is attached to a puppet on strings. The glove gives her the power to control the minds of people and the puppet represents her wishes of them. ie. if she makes the puppet walk, the mindless person walks.

dw3_sketch02.jpg
    Here's the latest sketch.. she'll be a woman pleasant to look at with a little touch of hobo and trauma center patient to her.
    I'll post some idea of how i'm envisioning the glove/puppet when i get it down.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda reminds me of Oro from Street Fighter (with the wrapped up arm wearing rags and all).

Being that the dominance war is all about wild, exciting characters, picking what is basically a hobo does put you in a tough spot as far as cool, menacing and exciting, but that doesn't have to hold you back.

Take for example, Strangefate's recent posts to the WAYWO?TR thread. Simply a woman in cloth, but it's still beautiful and amazing
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/wvwip007.jpg

Additionally, if you were to take some time to visualize her powers and presence you could get a lot of payoff.

Here's a quick example of what I mean: Here I illustrated here energy prowess by extending and floating her garb (squid effect), while adding a glowing, blue energy effect to simulate the thrust of energy with some bits of earth coming up to better sell the final effect.
    heligirlvk0.jpg
    but if that's not what you're going for, no big deal.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Thanks for the quick reply, I agree that it is gonna put me in a tough spot but i think i'll be able to make her interesting enough with the glove, the puppet and whatever other accessories i add in afterwards. My final pose i see her kinda looking upwards eyes aglow, arm out, glove glowing and the puppet in some strange contorted position. Which to me will be a fairly interesting subject. I think the problem is i'm not that great at concepting stuff. Gonna try to do some sketches of the final general shape and pose to give you a better idea of what i mean. Appreciate the paintover and i'll keep it in mind, specially the squid thing, pretty cool. Sidenote, i'd never heard of Oro haha, haven't played a Street Fighter game since the SNES.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Here's an update on the last concept.
    The glove and puppet are just holding place for something better.
    dw3_sketch03.jpg
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Well I'm back at tackling this. My mind went on a tangent and churned out something a bit different then what i had before. I think the coolness factor is up so that's a plus. Totally different story but i'm gonna worry about that later at this point.
    Advice encouraged.
    dw_sketch04.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    That is very strange but kinda cool, squids are so disgusting to me. smile.gif I would make the squid head at the back of her head, like its sucking her brain or something, of course the squid head needs to be smaller for that. I like the idea of the tentacles as legs a lot, maybe incorporate them more into her body.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Did some practicing and testing of techniques on a test octopus. Here's where it ended up.

octoSketch01.jpg