Home Technical Talk

MentalRay ambient occlusion script 3DS MAX 7,8,9

diZzyWalnut
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
Hi ;
I've found this script by hasard and
I hope that this script You will find useful ,cause it's very easy to use with a cool result.

link : MentalRay ambient occlusion 1.0.0

Here's my "ao rendering tets" :

aomaxscript.jpg

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Why do you need a script for that?

1 ) Set Mental Ray as renderer
    2 ) In "Environment", set background color to white, global lighting from 1 to 0.
    3 ) Set material to white, put Ambient Occlusion in the Self-Illum map slot, play with settings.
    4 ) Bake away.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a nice script. I remember using it a while back. smile.gif

Makes it a little quicker when you're just wanting to test it.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    scuse the noobness of the question, but what's the use of baking the AO map? to make a quick and dirty shadow map to paint the texture with?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    An AO map also helps point out where the grooves and that are, make a great overlay on low poly meshes to make the whole thing pop in a game engine that doesn't have any AO type thing, and any number of uses.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep.

Even in CryEngine 2/Crysis, according to Crytek you should still bake a little ambient occlusion into the model (varies with what type of model), but even their characters use a little baked in ambient occlusion, and it just accompanies the simulated real-time ambient occlusion, while also maintaining some of the visuals for those who can't run the game with such shadow quality. smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why do you need a script for that?

2 ) In "Environment", set background color to white, global lighting from 1 to 0.
    3 ) Set material to white, put Ambient Occlusion in the Self-Illum map slot, play with settings.
    4 ) Bake away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask anything, I've just found this script and I share out , that's all.
    Somebody can like it and find it useful.

To answer Your question :

Well , how I've sad before - the script is easy and fast to use with a cool result. It reduce Your 4 steps in a only one = Render AO.
    SO YOU DON'T NEED
    4 ) Bake away

wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I'm going to see if I can incorporate this script into my "make template" script and save me even more time. That is if I can get it to render out a texture instead of a render preview.

Thanks for the link =)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks a ton Dizzy! Very handy and it comes just at the right time also :P