Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Kwakkie - Bishan

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
This is not a final sketch, just messing around with one of the designs I had. The basic idea is like this:
DW_01.jpg
On one of the 'fallen' planets controlled by a race of small, weak creatures, one of them found a mysterieus artifact that might just be their winning weapon for the war. This artifact can be used to drain or push darkness into living organisms, and can also be used to control organisms with it. The little buggers captured some of the biggest, baddest and wildest creatures of the planet and after several experiments managed to control them.

Unfortunately the creature was so wild that it's rage could not be controlled by a single artifact, so the artifact is split in 3: One for a little guy, so he can absorb the darkness out of the beast when it needs to be controlled, and another one for a little guy so he can control the beast when it is 'calm'. The biggest piece goes to the beast itself, so the link is complete and it can be controlled.

Im going to work out the background a bit better when I have more time. I also havent decided on the looks of the little guys, what the beast is going to look like, or what the artifact(s) are going to be, so suggestions are more than welcome!

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    well, if u havent decided on a shape, do a bunch of silhouettes and post em...you'll get great feedback on what people feel is the strongest one!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, I made some silhouettes last night but they are all kind of 'mwoa'. Im probably going for something like the 3rd. Ive been thinking about some cool insectlike designs in my head, but cant seem to get it right on 'paper'. frown.gif

DW_02.jpg
    The bottom row are just random doodles by the way.
    Going back to the drawing board tonight wink.gif
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I changed my entry completely, it will no longer be like my previous concepts/story. Here's the result of a quick strip model session to test some forms:
    DW_03.jpg
    Yeah, its a pretty standard badguy sofar I know. Just have a little patience, his artifact will make him more 'special', I promise wink.gif

1 Month left!!!!!! shocked.gif
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright, did some more work on it in between homework smile.gif
    So the new idea is as follows: A magical artifact has been found in the ruins of the Wuha tribe. It is a glove that allows the wearer to have complete control over water. The artifact is so powerfull that it can control even the atoms of water molecules, making it possible to extract or add water from any (in)organic object. Here are a few examples of what the wearer would be capable of:
    DW_05.jpg
    1: The wearer can use water to form an almost inpenetratable shield around itself.
    2: The wearer can contruct and manipulate water in any form or direction as they wish, within the range of approximately 100 meters
    3: The wearer can control the water in any object, and extract water from it if needed

Of course theres a lot of other cool stuff possible with this weapon(exploding enemies from inside out etc.), but for now these are the basics. My character is called Bishan and carries a giant waterjug on its back, so he's never out of 'ammo'. Concepts will follow soon, for now heres some more progress on the 'naked' model:

DW_04.jpg
    The hands are crap and the elbow area is still kind of messy, but let me know what you think(of the model and the idea!)!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudboxin'!!!
    DW_06.jpg
    Since I didnt get any usefull tips here anyway I stopped posting updates for a while, but now Im back on track! Unfortunately I had to split the model into several pieces because my computer cant handle mudbox humping with the memory(Im using a laptop with only 1GB RAM confused.gif !!!)

Next up: The Pelvis

PS: only two weeks left!!! shocked.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like the dinosaur like design

but he´s missing some more mid-level details.. atm it looks more like a basic definition (low-level) with noise all over

And the jaw is looking kind of weak.. like it´s breaking if he want´s to bite something wink.gif

and jep.. time is running.. so gogogogogo smile.gif
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin: Thanks for the tips, I added more details and fixed the jaw. Its pretty weird how you cant notice things like that when you are working on something laugh.gif You can see the changes in the next update wink.gif

I FINALLY decided a FINAL design. I didnt like the old proportions, they were too standard so I sketched around a little and ended up with this:
    DW_07.jpg
    Tommorow Im going to do a hell of a lot of modelling so let me know if you have any tips/suggestions before I start busting my ass off laugh.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this armor looks cool!

like the idear with the chains , but i would make them hang a bit.. (or how does he move his head?)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great! love the weight and design!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks guys, I'll play around with the chains when I get there to see what works best smile.gif I kind of like the idea that his helmet would be strapped onto his head very tight.

Here's some progress on the lower body:
    DW_08.jpg Its still far from finished but unfortunately time is running out so im going to move on with the upperbody. After the torso Im going to make arm 1 and 2(theyre different) and hope I have some more time after that to fix things :P
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting there....
    DW_09.jpg
    Shoulders arent done yet, Ill do those when I make the arms, which is the next step on my list ;)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks good! chest looks very long though, compared to your last 2d image.. in there he seemed a bit hunched over which added to his coolness :D.
    might just be the angle though..
    keep it up! (Y)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    looks good! chest looks very long though, compared to your last 2d image.. in there he seemed a bit hunched over which added to his coolness :D.
    might just be the angle though..
    keep it up! (Y)
    I agree, having him hunched over looks much cooler, I will try to pose him more hunched once I finish the model, thanks for the tip! :D

I never expected making normalmaps for a model with a texture of 2048x2048 was going to be such a GIGANTIC *UCKING PAIN IN THE ASS!!! The last 3 days ive been working on baking/fixing the UV's Normal maps, but the result is pretty cool!:
    DW_10.jpg
    As you can see I havent normal mapped the arms yet, leaving those as a surprise hehe. What you see in the screenshot is the normal mapped lowpoly mesh(without the arms/artifact), at 4000 tris and about half of the texture space used(1024x2048). Im not sure if I can finish because I am going on a survival trip with some friends the next 2 days. *SIGH* I wish they extended the deadline to sunday, why did they choose to extend it to saturday??? :(
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, if anybody has some more tips/ideas they should post it NOW.
    DW_12.jpg
    Im going to drink some beers with my mates(WHY is the deadline on a saturday night! AAARGH!), and when I get back Im going to make the final renders. Hope Im not too drunk when I get back haha :D
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    not so cracy colors :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I actually WAS too messed up last night haha(I got back 1 hour before the deadline). I hope I submitted my entry in time, I honestly wouldnt know haha!

Anywaaaay, I'd just like to say thanks to FredH, Polycount and Rollin(for giving me lots of usefull tips!). I know I dont sand a chance at winning any prizes, but this contest has really learned me a ton of new tricks! I never normal mapped anything before, let alone sculpt something! Im really glad I managed to finish my entry, even though I know it sucks balls haha. So, this was basically my practice run, so you'd better be prepared for next year ;)

Heres what I submitted:
    dw_pose.jpg
    dw_beauty.jpg
    dw_construction.jpg
    dw_textures.jpg
    dw_concepts.jpg
    Damn now that I look at it again it really sucks haha! The backgrounds/font makes it look really cheezy, WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?!? hahaha :D