Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - auburenite - Undine

Hello everyone!

I'm currently a student at San Jose State. I'm scared sh*tless but extremely excited to be participating.

Now to business.. My artifact user is a humanoid Clericon named Undine. Her magical Element is Water and her Artifact is a Guilded Conch Shell. Using sacred incantations the shell becomes a weapon of asphyxiation and degeneration. Mass populations can suddenly suffocate in their own bodily fluids and immaculate rains cause rapid rust and short circuting. When the bloated bodies and rusted metal pile up the Conch can invoke typoons of Biblical proportions, flooding entire nations, disintegrating cities and it's inhabitants.

Below are some very rough orthographic concept sketches of her. I'm definately going to revise, but for now this is what I have.

Some inspirations come from Arthur Rackham, sea shells, sea creatures (mainly the tremoctopus) and Zena Holloway.

2281317612_4b04b90293_b.jpg

Replies

• Vanessa Mull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your water based Character. I feel that most people are unwilling to go this way. This piece looks like it will be fun to do and very graceful
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back to the drawing board. I was able to take some time over the weekend to draw and flesh out more costume ideas. I know silhouette is important but she's not going to be in the "T" pose for her beauty shot, so I'm exploring silhouettes in a potential "winning pose." I'm still working on the weapon but it's represented by the scribbled stick in her left hand (which is too short blush.gif). I'm kinda partial to number 5's head dress. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

dwconceptcopyum2.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    yea, i agree...i think 5 is looking the most promising...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    they look realy hot.. but i like 6 the most, bc she´s looking like a cool and tough woman and not like a pls-fuck-me-woman
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the shoulder area in 1, but think the cape too big and chaotic, maybe do those shoulders leading into a more graceful design of the cape. I also like the lower body of 3. 5 feels like the most complete character design. looking good.
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rollin, she's suppose to be a Clericon so I definately agree that she should be a bit more covered up. I'm glad she looks stronger in number 6. I guess I had to get number 3 out of my system to see how far I could push the costume design. shocked.gif

Thank you Kaej, the collar in number 1 looks like a bowl which could help emphasize the water element. It was also part of my original design. I'm definately going to try some mixing and matching between the stronger designs. Hopefully I'll have some new stuff up later today. Thanks again! grin.gif
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New sketches. I know I should have the concepting phase mostly done by now but new ideas keep popping in to my head, plus I like doing revisions. Number 1 is inspired by polynesian head dresses, number 3 is a straight up nun, since my character is suppose to be a clericon and all.. The rest all have minor adjustments done to them I think I know what I want but all suggestions are welcome! Thanks smile.gif

dwconcept2copypa7.jpg
  • Supervlieg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supervlieg polycounter lvl 17
    I have to say number 4 looks the most "watery" to me. Good luck!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks supervlieg and rollin! Now I'm starting to second guess myself.. hahah, hmm...

Supervlieg: What is it about number 4 that makes it more watery? Is it the sleeves?

Rollin: What do you like most about number 6? Is it her cloak? the Collar?

Apologize if this is getting annoying but I want to find the most appealing bits of each and try to encorporate them all together. Thanks a bunch for your critiques smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    everything

esp. the hat, but also the rest.. the legs from the old version but also the legs from the new (depends a bit of the direction)
    she´s way cooler than the others tongue.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice smile.gif
    Am i correct in my assumption that you took the name "Undine" from the Lithuanian word for "Mermaid"?
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lithuanian for mermaid?! Sweet! I had no idea. wink.gif
    I picked that name based off a literary character illustrated by Arthur Rackham. (i heart his illustrations) In the story Undines are water nymphs and are born without souls. One of the nymphs falls in love, marries a human, has a child, and gains a soul. But by having a soul she can now feel human pain and suffering. kinda sad. The name is also derived from the latin word "unda" which means wave. Quite the watery name!

http://www.artpassions.net/cgi-bin/rackh...t_in_danube.jpg smile.gif
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely, definitely the number 5 I like the most. Hat looks just right and suit well to dress.
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, started to model. Just blocking in the basics right now. she has no arms yet because I've still got some decision making to do with her costume. I'm going to combine the headdresses from number 5 and 6. we'll see how that goes... smirk.gif

wip01ye3.jpg

wip03pp9.jpg
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing extraordinary, just more WIP pics. Made her cape and dress shorter- easier to work with that way. I scrapped the 5 and 6 headdress combo and Im going for the 4 and 5 combo.. If all else fails I'll just stick to 5. her arms are in but just barely. Much more work needed on everything. If anything at this point jumps out and looks odd or bad, please speak up! laugh.gif

wip04hu2.jpg
    wip05yz3.jpg
    wip06ir1.jpg
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait to see her curves wink.gif
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last two weeks have been super busy and I haven't been able to work on her, so I'm falling behind. frown.gif I knocked out her hands and refined her legs a bit. I'm probably going to have to reloop her hips because they're not doing what I want..

wip07jl3.jpg

wip08vb4.jpg