Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - JBurley0879 - untitled

Concept phase Round 1 of 3...Humanoid Earth Invoker.

My idea is to make the character with as few accessories/weapons as possible before going into the details, so to speak. Any thoughts, anybody? concepts1.jpg

Replies

• Hildor_muthafo
    i like the guy on the right. maybe if hes going to have few accessories, make him a character that uses earth element in his artifact? give him sorta like a caveman outfit? maybe check out the movie 'clan of the cave bear' haha.
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more sketches I've done last night in pen...this was right before I saw Hildor's response. sketch002.jpg

sketch003.jpg

I'll explore the "clan of the cave bear" idea further. I just feel I needed to flesh out a little for this one 1st.
    Any thoughts?
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a rather quick and crude color study on one of those pen images. more thumbs to come before painting. 002vqcs.jpg
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some silhouettes for possible characters.
    sils1.jpg
    I'm still leaning towards #3, being that I have a sorta big idea with him. However #4 is a close second. As for the other two, I'm not counting them out by any means, but I'm not really feeling them as invokers of earth and rock...but, I may use them in the not too distant future.
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok...Long post, I know. but I've gotten quite a bit done in the past hours. So without further babble, here goes...

Here's some artifact weapon sketches (Regardless, I want to keep the "stone limb" artifact...so much potential.)
    artifactsketch01.jpg

Here, I have some hair styles I was juggling (Along with the standard BALD look.)
    hairref3.jpg

And last, but not least, the major muscle reference and a size comparison to an average person... give or take.

muscle_n_sizechart001.jpg

As far as that creature on his shoulder, I haven't fleshed that idea just yet, being that it's a separate creature, I think I'll want to cross that bridge when I come to it. For right now, I kinda like the "armored salamander" I've got going.

Any thoughts? I'm always up for them...even if I seem to be under some perpetual motion kick...because perpetual motion and the perfection of my pencil has become my way of life.
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, since time is not on my side, I think that things should at least start coming together now. So here's a front view. (I plan on doing quite a bit of views, actually. You kinda sorta have to, y'know?)

frontweb.jpg

Now, by all means it's not done. I must render the image further to get the textures of the different types of stone, not to mention the skin, bone, and muscle.

Any comments or suggestions, anybody?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i´m not sure if you intended that, but the bone-arme looks too damm funny

and where is this little thing on his shoulder

apart of that it has a solid-comic-villain feel to it
    so keep it going smile.gif
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was arguing with myself whether or not the bone arm should stay. I'm playing with the idea of whether or not to keep it (as if the flesh and muscle have been completely dissolved there) or just amputate the damn thing. smile.gif

As for the creature, No, I haven't forgot about him. I actually want the creature to be modeled separately. Besides, it may get in the way of the modeling sheet. Therefore I'll do another "Mini-turnaround" on the same sheet. Soon as that's done, as well as the side view, on to the victory pose.
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update as of right now...

views_new.jpg

So here, we have a front and two side views with a bit of highlight. I didn't hit the shadows yet, I just want the forms to pop before I tone it back down...for my workflow demands it. As you can tell on the far left, I went for a tied back dread mullet of sorts. Not sure if I want to keep it that way, but for now, I dig it. I probably will after a bit of tweaking. (and another post)

Ok back to work.

By the way, I know I haven't posted his story yet, because it's so embedded in my head and evolving as he does...very weird but I'm not complaining. I'll post that eventually for those of you that are interested.

Till next time.