Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Kaej - Clericon or Warlord

Kaej
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kaej polycounter lvl 12
***Latest***
kaej_model_wip9.jpg
opening my account... some thumbs for either a clericon or warlord, not sure yet. looking forward to working the concept further and really getting into this competition!
kaej_thumbs.jpg

Replies

• ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Sick dude!! haha!

Welcome to the black and green. I think 2nd row first one is the strongest, the extended weapon shaft makes for an interesting design.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe add the banner from first row, first one?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    thumbs are lookin good! keep poppin the silhouettes, looks like ur gettin some good results. i actually like the 3rd one on the 2nd row...maybe iterate and exaggerate his weapons and his chest/shoulder piece?
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    picked a few of the elements I liked. shaping up to be a giant hammer/mace wielding Dark Cleric
    kaej_sketch.jpg
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    OH OH ME LIKEY!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like it smile.gif

maybe some realy cracy helmet?
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    ortho... will be modeling like mad this weekend. thx for the feedback guys, any further crits would be great, I want to get his design as tight as possible going into modeling.
    kaej_ortho.jpg
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    looks tiiiieeeght to me dude. I think the model is gonna look really nice, but the face doesnt have much character to it. Maybe think that section out a bit better..looks kinda like charlie sheen right now.

dave
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    a few shots of the base meshes for zbrush. I agree about the face. I'm going to try and give him a more demented/evil look.
    kaej_model_wip1.jpgkaej_model_wip2.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice ortho.. this is going to be nice smile.gif
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest, I'm not too sure yet. I like the idea, I like the execution in the ortho, really nicely drawn. And once its modeled it'll probably be an amazingly detailed and technically well executed piece.

But there's nothing in the concept that jumps at me as 'wow, my god, this character is amazing!'.

Right now it's kind of last samurai meets... Generic guy.
    Yes, even with the banners and cool fire spear thing. I'd say, try to explore a bit more, do something that will attract attention. Browse the entries and find inspiration.

Your basemesh looks very nice btw. smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hmm.. but IF, i would try to find a cool body-design.. bc I love the armor .. so if cool-body(demon, ghost, goul, whatever) + this armor design = kill

IMO -- !!
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    pestibug - thank you for the excellent feedback. i am not the best at faces/ heads and initial sketch was going for a grizzled middle aged tough looking guy, but i agree he is looking way too generic. tired of modeling, going to do some more concept work for the head...
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rollin' I didn't mean that the armor is bad, but as a whole, character, armor etc etc. it just needs some thinking and loving.

Kaej, if you have trouble, I wouldn't mind sketching some ideas for ya, sort off to help you on your way. Just let me know smile.gif (pm about it)
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, not the best executed idea ever here, but maybe it sparks your imagination. With the fiery staff I was thinking fire warlord. So fire and smoke coming from his open head, fire raging in his body, there could've been some more open patches on the body, oh well.

Anyway, just sparkign imagination so you might take it in a bit more interesting direction smile.gif

kaejcb5.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow that is too nice for a base mesh! well are you going to reuse it and retopologise it after the sculpt is done and save lots more work? or do you create a new low poly completely once the sculpt is done?

I tend to make very simple basemeshes and then when everythings done I take my time to try and get nice edge flow like this model shows. is this a good way of doing things?
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    pestibug, thanks for the paintover man. I really like the corrupted edges of skin and extruding veins, etc. I think he's going to be a dark cleric / necromancer, like a warhammer 40k priest, a healer but still demented and evil. I've done a few more thumbs for the face, tell me what you guys think is the best. also started a quick zbrush wip.

as for my process, I took the base mesh to that level of completion partly b/c i haven't been using zbrush too long and like getting the forms as accurate as possible going in. also, as far as my experience with zbrush has been, clean topology and detail where it needs to be is still nice while sculpting in zbrush. just saves you from dividing a bajillion times. and yeah, when it comes time to make the final game model, collapse a bunch of edges and bingo. as i use zbrush more I will probably start to use more and more simple base meshes because zomg is it fast to sculpt in there.

kaej_model_wip3.jpgkaej_thumbs_faces.jpg
  • auburenite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really digging the direction you're heading in Kaej! Right now it's hard to pick a hair style because I can't tell how old the character is. If he's an old warrior, has he been pulled out of retirement? If he's young how much experience does he have prior to this war? Will he have old scars or battle wounds? I'm probably getting waaay to deep in to this and I apologize for going overboard. confused.gifFor me keeping stuff like that in mind often helps with the decision making.

So if the guy is young E or B, If he's old I like D or H. grin.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A and G are doing it for me. they're nice to play with.

Glad you found some interesting parts in the sketch man smile.gif
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    hi-res modeling wips... hard surface stuff
    kaej_model_wip4.jpg
    kaej_model_wip5.jpg
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that front guard is looking awesome Kaej!!!! I'm actually a big fan of keeping the gear consistent by repeated patterns and such - and what you have going on there is right up my alley. when you start embellishing and polishing - i think it would be cool to see some of those sections fallen off or really damaged - I think that'd add a level of realism. great start!!!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Show me the new shit!!!
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    out of maya finally, woot! I'm planning to give him some crazy scraggly hair with alphas on the game model and of course going to severely beat him up in zbrush to give him a nice war-torn, battered look.
    kaej_model_wip6.jpgkaej_model_wip7.jpgkaej_model_wip8.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Man...that's a lot of greebles. I don't think it's working how clean it is from the waist up, and turns to noise waist down. Very stressful on the eye frown.gif I do like the blockiness and clear motif, just give it some more clean areas for the eye to rest.

Also his forearms may be too short, his legs look like they'd be extremely frail underneath those bulky boots, and he generally doesn't have the proportions of your concept, which I think looks more massive and regal.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya. It seems a little too clunky around the hips. Other than that it is a bad ass design. I especially dig the chest piece.
  • Smooth_Criminal
    I totally dig the armor, it might help if u smooth out some muscle form in the back area, give more fat that is and I agree...u can beef up the legs more.. Great stuff mate smile.gif
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this is great! Nice work keep it up. The serratus muscle seems as if it could be tweaked a bit though. But nice overall smile.gif
  • Kaej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaej polycounter lvl 12
    more zbrush... also changed the overall proportions of some the gear so that it fits him better.

kaej_model_wip9.jpg
    kaej_model_wip10.jpg
    kaej_model_wip11.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    model looks great! His serratus muscle looks alot better now. Oh, I noticed that his belly button is in the wrong area right now.. it should be lower. Slow down man wait for me too..
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    His arms still seem a little short - though it'd be easy enough to fix that in the low poly.