Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - Stubob - Warlord

Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum stuff, so please be kind...

Anyhoo, I've been badgered into entering this years DW by some workmates who are having a go at the 3D side. I kinda suck a 3D, (tho was employed as an environment artist for a while, but could never really get into it) and was keen to find out there's a 2D side to the comp this year.

So here's a few roughs...

dwiii2dstubobwarlord001ax3.jpg

Not entierly sure where I'm going with this yet, Male? Female? The Big Burd thing as a Steed/Guardian/Buddy. I like the sword shape.

dwiii2dstubobwarlord002sv8.jpg

A slight step on from before, but with a more organic/bone construct armour feel too it. Should she even have wings?

dwiii2dstubobwarlord003bm3.jpg

The Steed? could It be a Warlord in it's own right?

As for the artifact? I'm sure I'll work them out as I go along.

It's a start... I suppose.

Replies

• pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Hi and welcome stubob. That's a fine start man.

Hard to pick, there's plenty cool stuff happening here. I reallylike the 1st image a lot, the pose, arm, sword. and that huge beast in the background,inded it could be a warlord on its own.

The armor in the third image rocks, not too sure about the long snout tho', but the arm/blades is a really nice idea.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    sweet concepts man. your second set is pretty similar to what i'm doing:

http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=270555&an=0&page=1#Post270555

no worries, the principles are inherintly different enough. the third bone thing is way awesome...and not just saying that to deter you from your second images! i love the way you have the wings hinging forward with the sharp blades at the end...nice!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    they are all nice.. but the 1. is superb aktion and love the claws!
  • Vidar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vidar polycounter lvl 17
    I'd go for number 1, really feeling that one. That left arm with the claws kicks ass! smile.gif
  • Hildor_muthafo
    one is really cool, and i really like the pose, but it seems almost too tech for the restrictions; since its supposed to be the opposite of tech. I would go with 2, its a really cool concept, i like the armor style, and it really fits the subject matter of magic users.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really liking this, I prefer the newer mask, but liked the older wings better.
  • Stubob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the initial feed back guys. All helpful.

I know what you mean about the Techy stuff on sheet 1, Hildor. I guess it's just years of doogling SciFi images over Fantasy, that makes most of my initial sketches turn out that way.

I'm thinking some kind of magic crystal powered, arm claw doohickey, to counter balance the sword. Will get some tweeks and updates as soon as I can.
  • Kalvin Lyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the hunched over bone image. The face looks like a mask being worn by a girl. I think it would be really cool if there was someone inside it kind of half riding, half wearing it like armour. Yeah and wings would be cool.
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I'm leaning toward the third one. I'm really digging the designwork, by the way.

It would be cool if there was some retractable limbs to go with it...maybe "wings" or some other appendages that prove useful to the species?
  • Stubob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the pose of the first one, so recon I'll press forward with that. Need to work out details, but there's a fair bit of time for that.

Was playing about with the 3rd. Still thinking of incorporating it as a mount or summoned creature. still dunno yet...
    dwiii2dstubobwarlord004zb0.jpg

... tho, was thinking, "how the hell d'you learn to ride one of those?". A: from a very early age I guess.
    dwiii2dstubobwarlord005yg0.jpg

also there's a varient of the 3rd character, and some doodles of how the big arm thingy works.
  • Stubob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some additional tweeks and doodles based on the initial pose. the horns were an accident, which I thought kinda worked. Will leave them in for now. I may return to the helmet of earlier sketches.

dwiii2dstubobwarlord006pm8.jpg

dwiii2dstubobwarlord007ih6.jpg

Still working out clothing and whatnot, so keeping it a bit vague just now.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ha every second i´m awaiting her head falling the the side.. and look how she is clenching her teeth to hold it up wink.gif

besides of that.. realy like it smile.gif
  • Stubob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin: I know what you mean. But it's made out of polystyrene. If she dares move, it'll wobble. Ha.
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    Ithis stuff is realy top notch very nice work i particualy like the last one the lass with the horn n claw very cool
  • Stubob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recon this is the last batch of action doodles before I get onto detailing the costume. The handy thing about these is, they've given me a chance to see where certain elements would cut through each other, and could make the resulting model and animations look weak.

dwiii2dstubobwarlord008xz7.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions for the characters/weapons power, feel free to chuck them in. cheers.