Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - UniqueSnowFlake - Saverian

UniqueSnowFlake
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
UniqueSnowFlake polycounter lvl 12
Oringinal post.

Good to be back on the forum! Been looking on now and then over the year and you guys and girls have been doing some fantastic art work.

I didn't pick any class when I started drawing, I just started drawing what ever came to my head. I finally got something I'm at least a little bit happy with >_< If enough people like him I'll draw up a detailed version before I start modelling.

Its rough as so far but C&C are very welcome.

Latest update:

beautykl4.jpg

Replies

• pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    hey snowflake, that's some interesting thumbs.

1st off,to make imageshack work (it's a pain) use the 'direct link' underneath your image (there's a bunch of links there). Remove everything that might be behind the .jpg and then it'll show up nice and neat in the post.

To be a nice guy I'll link them here or you.
    usfthumbsiu0.jpg

usffinalthumb01bq6.jpg

Ummm, alright what I like. That really big guy on the right, with the hammer. I like himmore as thumbnail then the worked out version on his left. But yeah i think withthe proper love that guy could be really interesting.

Then I love that creature in the second image. Could be something huge, towering over the battlefield.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big thanks first off to Pestibug for the help and feed back hopefully my image works this time >_<

I'm no concept artist so I've been battling all night to do a 3 quarter view of the thumb I liked. So after almost giving up about 15 times and again spending all night on it. Here is the 3 quarter view:

usffinalthumb3qviewjj2.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It's a cool concept. His leg configuration interesting, though it might be a little off balance. I'd point the back legs somewhat more to the back, because it's easy to imagine him falling over when leaning less to the front for whatever reason.

His artifact (I assume the backpack is that) does look very technological though, which is forbidden by the brief. You'll either have to make it more magically looking somehow, or place another creature with the tubes inserted into it onto his back.

Good luck!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jup.. could be critical.. i for my part don´t realy see a problem with the rules.. but other people seem to have problems to seperate between a electronic looking and a real electronic device
    it could also fall under "metal constructs" but i have no clear idear whats the meaning of that.
    ask fredH to be sure
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know what Fred would say about it. I'm not to sure the power source your characters uses to create fire would pass the Rules and Regs... I does seem to depend on the mechanical device strapped to it's back to create it's weapon... Looks cool but questionable if it would qualify. Just change the way it produces fire like having it come out its eyes or hands... something like that. Hope I helped (:
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    looks very techy to me. Maybe it's not supposed to, but that's how it reads. You may need to rework to qualify.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with the very tech feel, but it may just be the concept because it hasn't been detailed/refined as of yet. But it will be something to keep any eye on when building your final piece.
    You're off to a great start, mate and its good to see you on the Polycount side again this year. Good luck.

-caseyjones
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha ha thanks for all the feedback smile.gif

I knew he was going to be way to techy but got to a point where I couldn't be assed changing him so just put some rough shading in and posted >_<

So over the last few days I've been reworking a few areas. Trying to remove a few more of the human elements and also remove all the tech stuff.

The idea I wanted to rework into him was to have a military base on his back. So I've done a thumb of the shape I might go for and a few random details.

Along with that idea was the idea of having creatures of the same race or different (haven't decided). Doing random jobs on his back. A commander on the top right desk. The Driver below that. priests praying at the crystal. As well as Snipers to attack threats from the sky.

Anyways thats where my ideas are going and where I'm up to.
    usfreworkingconceptmp4.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Thats definitely working better than the cannon-ish thing. I winder whether, now that he's got an entire building complex sitting on his back, whether he should have bit more of a beast of burden feel. Might be worth experimenting with bulking up the back, neck and limbs so that he doesn't look quite as speedy. I imagine if I was going to build my house on a giant monster, I wouldn't want it to be one that had any likelyhood of tearing off at 100 miles an hour, throwing around everything and everyone inside said house in a devastating fashion.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.

2 of the characters that will be seen the top of the model.
    usfsmallcharactershe1.jpg
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its about that time of the week for an update.

I started modeling the top part of my character and when I was trying to add the legs but nothing was working out at all. So I went back to the drawing board to rework a few design areas. In doing so I've been adding a lot of viking themes into the design.

The big one I guess is the artifact. I found a story about a girl named Brynhild. Which goes something like this:

[ QUOTE ]
    She would not allow ODIN to have his willful way with her. So in a fit of pique he put her asleep in a ring of fire on top of a mountain

[/ QUOTE ]

So my artifact is now a ring of fire that will be sitting on top of a dish of rocks and dirt taken from the mountain so the vikings can transport it.

Anyways to much writing tongue.gif

My latest update:
    usfconceptrework01wp0.jpg
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    A lot better than the 3 quarter view smile.gif

I think Jackablade made a good point with the town beeing harmed by the creatures movements.

So maybe add another chain between the head and the creatures chest, so he is unable to lean backwards? Some sort of hindering construction around the spine might work too.

Great idea can't wait to see this finished.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Audi: His got kinda a big metal support hammered into his back that the buildings are built on. So they shouldn't get going anywhere smile.gif

Been blocking out the legs and lower body today so here is a first look at my low poly. should have it finished by tomorrow.
    usfrender01ko7.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good so far. Im not sure if its just me but having the creatures neck extended like that and its slouched back body form doesnt make me think its very strong, more like a "s" shaped worm. A shorter broader neck and more powerful chest/arms section would make this creature more imposing in my opinion.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment Ged no update at the moment but I have been bulking up those areas. Since a few people have commented on it.

As for stuff to show right now. I just did a quick concept to add in the logo element. Since the creature is so big this is pretty much what you would see as a tiny person tongue.gif
    kinda..

usflogoideafd8.jpg

Not final by a long shot but something like that >_<
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another day, another update

Still not happy with a number of areas but the bulk of the model is done.

usfmodelalmostye1.jpg

C&C please if you get the time.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Logo looks sweet snowflake, just needs a massive wang coming out the mouth, that would scare those robots away!

Keep up the good work smile.gif
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of my high Rez mesh. Still allloot to go but being optimistic and hoping to get it done by the weekend.

Jumping around different parts of the mesh at the moment but will be moving onto the building on his back next.

render26xk8.jpg
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while but! here is another update..

This is the pose and a quick lighting rig I was thinking of using.

I've rendered out my normal maps and an AO map for the render.

usfposelightingoa9.jpg

On 8,834 Tris at the moment. but that should be used up by FX and some other details I wanted to add.
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thought my monitor had blown up... but its working again...

Update..

usfsometexturesfz7.jpg

Still much texturing and lighting to work out.. but I might get the base worked out first.

C&C please. (I know the alpha is stuffed on the smoke :icon60: )
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love he sense of scale now, plus it's one of the first I've seen that actually screams out it's elemental aspects.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice work! I am impressed!
  • UniqueSnowFlake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude yours is looking awesome as well!!

Awesome work from all the Polycount guys/guls as well.

Big thanks to all those who helped me out on the way. Wouldn't of finished with out you all.

beautykl4.jpg

winningposeef2.jpg

Best of luck to all!!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the base is realy cool.. !!

cool how this turned out!