Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Supercop - Amy

supercop
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
supercop polycounter lvl 14
Still working out what I want to do for a character. Here I just drew abunch of different ideas. I'll probably keep concepting for a few days before I settle on something.

img076.jpg
page1.png

large version

I can't decide what is dumb or what isn't. I might end up doing a few of these up to rough base models until I figure out what I want to run with...

I really like the witch...and the ant....and the....circle with a cone head....AND the zombie still looks stupid lookin to me....hmmmm

Replies

• pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    The moth/mantis thing is what jumped right at me. Most interesting thing you have at the moment I think.

I would definately explore concepts more with that creature as a base in mind.
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went with the ant for now I guess...
    img077-1.jpg

First time actually going and committing to "finishing" a character drawing on a tablet.
    Baravauhs.png

Not sure where I'm gonna stick the logo yet.

Okay I'm just making this up as I type it so here we go!

It's race is the Baravauhs. Kind of some ant/scorpion/whatever hybrid creature that is about 6 or 7 feet tall when hunched over like that and about 10 or 11 from head to tail. It has little feet running down it's tail that allow it to keep it's balance and move (Also the tail can extend and be used as an attack to cut up dudes by swinging it arround), also it has one claw and one arm that it uses to wield the staff relic. It's an Invoker and I guess it's got earth/rock element to it. This specific breed of the Baravauhs are almost shaman in appearance, being incredibly wise and powerful, acting as the leaders of their hive like tribes. They have no names or actual written language and they live in the deep mountains and come out to hunt for food or defend their territory or wage war with other creatures. I'm guessing that I'll stick some cloth or something draped around his neck or waist or something that displays the polycount logo.

Edit: I might just change this up and instead have this be a summoned creature from a human summoner invoker that I just started sketching. I'll upload scans and shit when I get it done. I think I'll drop the wings but mess arround with other areas. I kinda like the idea of it looking like a sluglike queen ant with giant claw hands and no legs.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to scale it back a bit towards the original sketch. That had much stronger shapes IMO. Keep some elements perhaps, like the glowing 'bubbles' in the carapace and the feathery things off the back of the head, but the new legs and head and overall build just seem like a step back. I also think the wings are an unnecessary distraction. Make him aquatic or floating maybe, rather than putting on wings that are too small to be functional, but too big and 'normal' to look like they're there for any other reason. I really liked that original thumbnail but this just isn't doing it for me.

Congrats on your first tablet drawing though!
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the staff was just sort of the last thing I drew because I couldn't figure out exactly what to do with the other arm at the time. I was thinking of giving him some clothing, but not as a coverage so much as just a trophy or symbol of stature or something. Also I was thinking that it'd be able to fire eggs that immediately hatch into soldiers from it's bumhole at the end of the sack (Don't like the stinger anymore)

And I dunno about the wings. I should probably make them bigger at least and see how that works (Really want him...actually her since it has a pregnant bug butt....to be able to fly). I imagine it being able to fly across mountain cliffs, living in cliff edge canyons...Or I might just change his backstory at the last minute to match whatever I come up with. I also realized I might be edging abit too close to the Vortigaunts with the design there...I am liking the general idea of the larger body, I just need to figure out if I can make it work or not...I'll probably study some insects this weekend to help me concept him out some more. I think it might be cool to give him something he can fire out of a chest cavity, kinda like the zombie but more making sense in some way. I think he could really show people what a bug with a cannon in it's chest can do!

Anyways here's some sketches I drew of the emo witch girl thing. I kind of like the idea of it being a summoned creature behind a summoner, but I need to figure out a cool design for her if I'm gonna do that. (I think I can handle 2 creatures as one model, as long as I pace myself right, I've got a pretty open schedule for the next several weeks)

She'd be invoker summoner I guess. Not sure if I want her human or not. Maybe the gems on the straps and stuff all amplify the relic? (Making them all glow at once?)

img078.jpg
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went in a completely different direction with this one and I think I like it. I'm not sure if I prefer sleeves or sleeveless and if I want the scarves or not....I like the weapon alot though.

img083.gif

Okay finally figured out what I'm gonna do. Amy will be some treasure hunter who braved the dangers of a Baravauhs settlement (Pronounced Bah-rah-vahs) and managed to swipe the Ancient Artifacts (The bracers) without getting killed by those creatures. After she'd gotten them, however, she was met with praise as being the chosen one to wield the weapon and best their trials that it lay hidden behind. The Tribe Elders then decided one of thier great and noble warriors of the tribe would protect her as her bodyguard and companion until the prophecy could be fullfilled! She calls him "Vauhs" for short, since he has no name. I'm going to model the two of them together as one entry. Now all I gotta do is finalize his design, draw up some model sheets, do some color comps, and I'll be ready for modeling. laugh.gif

Also I guess a good reason for her to be missing an eye other than "cuz it looks cool"....she got caught once and only once in her life while stealing some treasure and basically that's what ended up being her "punishment".
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I've more or less finalized my designs for the "Baravauhs" and Amy. (Went back to the older more awesome face for the bug) I also created little Larvae that are a totally awesome "attack". Still working on some poses but there's a few ideas in here.

Oh yeah about Vauhs....let's see....oh this is good. He's the designated protector of the artifacts that Amy "stole" from the Baravauhs colony. By making it through their traps and guards while proving her ability to use the weapons she has proven herself worth of their power and thus one of the tribe's warriors was assigned to follow Amy and protect her so that the "prophecy" could be fulfilled. I imagine that this would be a very big inconvenience to someone who isn't too keen on fulfilling prophecies, and in fact would be kind of annoying, having a big 12 foot bug yelling at you about your destiny constantly.

img084.jpg
    img085-1.jpg

So that's 3 models although the third one isn't that big but I think I can get them all under 9000. I'm wondering how I'm going to do the effects on her blades and the bug's arms though. (I want an attack that shows off both, also I want the larvae to glow too)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    img087-1.jpg
    Model sheet

img086.jpg
    Drawing drawing.

Not sure about the heels on the boots, the bags on her hips, or the pigtails commin outta her hair. Should I keep them or not have them?

I should do some color comps.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the idear with the blades is cool

maybe find some more interesting trousers
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's more interesting trousers you want then I shall deviler!

Here's what I got outfitwise. Took a while but I think I'm finally satisfied with it. Now to do a final model sheet and the ant warrior.
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
    Untitled-2-2.jpg
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had alot of time for modeling recently so I'm finally getting started on her. Here's what I got from today's work (inbetween matches of smash bros)
    amy02.png

688 tri's so far, this is the low poly one so far, still workin on it.
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amy04.png
    Second iteration using the low poly as a guide.
  • supercop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amy_Render.png

Now to do the coat and bracers and textures and ant and god I don't think I'll finish in time frown.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The face is looking cool, she looks stoned smile.gif