Offline / Send Message
c023dev polycounter lvl 8
=== LATEST IMAGE ===
strang2.jpg
======

Here is just a quick idea of what I got in mind:

mydude01.jpg

Summin' MadMax/VooDoo/Rugged/Brutal

Oh yeah: human warlord, not too sure about the artefact yet.

Hope I find the time... crunch time here @work and I am moving into a new flat atm...

Greets

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the character that Gauss concepted for me during Dominance War 1 that I never got anywhere with. Perhaps it'll be of some use to you.
    http://www.gausswerks.com/war/jackabladevulture.jpg
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, nice to see. Always nice to get some inspirations, thanks.
    I think I need some more breaking of the default human sillhouette, might try with some horns or some more massive shoulder pads. Hope I can come up with a detailed concept soon or I'll just start modeling into the blue and see where it takes me...
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started making a base to sculpt on...

Poly-Boxmodeling, checking the topology with subdivisions, trying to keep quads and a nice edgeflow, not too concerned with proportions or anatomy yet...

dw3-meshin1.jpg

I'll be going to refine it a bit further and hopefully start sculpting soon...
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I am offline @ Home (because I moved into a new flat) until friday next Week, so I can just tell that I am working on him, he's looking awsome and has been given a little helper, a small pet, more on that soon.

I have finished sculpting the ruff version of the torso,head and hands. I am now adding clothing and armor.

This dude will be fighting a couple of competitors soon.
    I think I might change his class but not to sure yet...

Thank you for reading!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now, getting a bit more serious, I have been sculpting and modeling in every spare time I get. Didn't get my Web Access @ home yet...

Nevertheles here a W.I.P. update:

dude_05.jpg

More Armor comming up soon, hope this gives you a good idea of where I am going, for my first pics beeing crap =)

Greetings
    James
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update...

strang02.jpg

strang01.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the mask/armor etc.

THX !
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the anatomy and structure looks good, the mask doesnt seem like its on the face, it looks more like the guys has a mask instead of a face? the armour plates around his hips and in front of his crotch are a bit boring and just look like the same shape duplicated with very little connection to the rest of the characters clothing but more modelling may be coming later that could make these look more appropriate?
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mask is still missing its back (was thinking about a samurai neck protection of some sort, simular to the pelvis plates) and with some buckles and belts I might get it to be more obvious as armor. His face will stay for a beauty shot or so because I liked it, but I thougt he needed something more nasty. (Because I get F**** scared when I look at some faces walking about in this war smile.gif

And, yes, I wanted to sculpt over all armor parts next and force everything into this post-apocalyptic style of self made armor built from scrap but with style and taste.

Glad that you like the proportion/anatomy - meens a lot to me, thx =)

Greets
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good!
    The kneepads, imo, don't fit it in. They look like something that belongs on a SWAT dude.
    A more interesting shape, or a horn coming out of the pad, or even something like the cross in your concept might fix this.
    The mask looks cool, but I don't like the slanted eyes, I don't know if you were going for a frown but it looks strange, maybe try something like this for the eyes.

Keep it up!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS! (means a lot to me =)

As saidI hope to get more suitable knee pads after oversculpting them...

To the eyes: Might play about a bit with the expression but the frown was intended... *edit*(and the eye sockets will be cut out later so tht you see his real eyes through the mask)*edit*

I will keep it all in mind...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update:
    strang03_persp.jpg

strang03_360.jpg

Going to Start on the Ingame Model now allthough I will still be refining ans sculpting a bit on the way.

So got a lot to do, be happy to hear what you think...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i think the boots are too big..

like the mask!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I have been working late hours and early mornings to get this dude normalmaped and textured. Made a simple rig to pose him.

Tell me what you think about it.

Sorry that I wasn't online to often, the telecommunication companies here were able to keep me offline sinse I moved and during the whole War, shame on them.

dw3-strang-pre-final.jpg

Greets
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good, the metal is cool, the textures on his body and clothes could be more saturated or have more colour variation to make this piece stronger.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good!
    Agreed with Ged though, you need some color variation. Something as simple as overlaying an image with an interesting texture or color variation could do the trick.
    Congrats on getting this far!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

Yeah, that was exactly the thing I was going to do tonight, bringing in some more color variation. (Maybe some desert camouflage for the pants or so and some more details here and there)

Thanks to all at this point who gave me feedback, you really helped me!

It was damin tuff to do this in my spare time, I still get threats from my Work because I only woked off my minimum time last month and my girlfreind hasn't seen much of me the last weeks. Did think about quitting at some ponit 4 o'clock in the morning. But I decided to take him to the end, allthough he is by far not the most impressive Unit but he's stable and shows off some of my skill and I'm sure he will kick somebodys ass for PC in this contest =)

So I am happy with where he came to.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Pre Final Pics, please state ya crits!

strang-beta_persp.jpg

Winning Pose:
    strang-beta_pose.jpg

And here a shot without the Mask, I don't think I'll include it enywhere though.
    strang-beta_front.jpg

=edit=

I need some more variation on the skin, but I'm afraid that a scar might show weakness, maybe a tatoo or something.
    Think he could do with a little more spec on the skin too, allthough I don't want him to get too wet...

Opinions, anyone?
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, that was the story of how you make a game character with hardly any concept plus using a crapy basemesh for sculpting... =)

Im still fiddling around a bit here and there so if someone is there right about soonish ... -now- ... I'd be happy for critique!
    Cheers!
  • KICKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work finishing up! I think his left eye may be a little offset. I think it would also be really cool if you made the green glow coming from his glove more of a gradation of intensity and color to make it pop and more visually interesting. His body also looks really clean, make him look more brutal!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I'll give him sum scars then ... damn, he cut himself cus he was bored that noone else could touch him and leave a scar... ok!

And I'll see to the glow, but it is actualy painted color and intensity graidients...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i´m not a fan of this green glowing hand

and if you realy realy want this glow than make it quite white in the middle and than green and than fade out

still a big fan of the mask!
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx rollin, ok I went for the white-green-out version...

Not the coolest artifact around, I know, but it did the job, concept + time were my weakness here... Nevertheless I'm quite happy with the result.

Be posting final picz tonight.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dw3-strang-beaut.jpg
    dw3-strang-pose.jpg
    dw3-strang-constr.jpg
    dw3-strang-text.jpg
    dw3-strang-concep.jpg

Submitted *phew*
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    That rocks! Cool Rhino mask!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really like how it turned out. In the begining it looked a little shaky, but with all the textures it looks great, good job.
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Welcome SimonT =)