Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - JFF - Zar-Rath

JFF
JFF
Latest and LAST pic! (See full post lower down.)

winningpose.jpg

beautyshot.jpg

hp_render03.jpg

rath_reworked_feet.jpg

This one is a bit redundant now, above image is the latest.

invoker_colour.jpg

Hey all smile.gif

Thought it time I start my post. Still very early days for my entry but I'm probably going with an invoker using earth magic.

Below are some getting started sketches. The character sticks his feet into the ground when channelling magic through his body.

First sketch was to just get an idea of what the char is like without it's clothing! lol.....second is a first go at adding some clothing (which I'm not keen on btw), then some head ideas. Lots there i dont like but the bottom middle tattoo one caught my interest.

The colour one is a test of my scar/tattoo idea. The chararcter has these grooves cut into it's skin. When calling on magic the magic runs into these, creating a glowing tattoo kinda thang. The char doesnt have eyes but the tattoo's suggest eyes, ears.

Hmm......dunno yet. We'll see! lol

des1.jpg

des2.jpg

des3.jpg

des4.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Well, the design has changed a bit over the last couple of days. It is now a she and her race is amphibian.

I worked this sketch up a bit further than originally planned. But it was good to start messing with colour. That said the sketch went very cartoony. So there is a lot of detail that still needs figuring. Also her armour needs personalising, just not sure how yet! She's not quite there and I'm also unsure how her artifact will fit in to this design.

Comments and crits welcome. smile.gif

invoker_colour.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. Cartoony as you say, but full of life, dynamic, etc.

The red might be pushing it though, for some reason that colour reads as cuts in the figure when I look at the lower leg/arms -- instead of as decoration. Not sure why, so it might just be a quirk of how I see, but it might be worth going through a few secondary colours.
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Thanks for the feedback kary. smile.gifI've subtled the red off in this latest pic. Hopefully doing a less cartoony pic will also help the issue.

Okay, here is where I'm now at!
    zar_rath_jpg2.jpg

It's changed a bit over the last week and I'm starting to get happier with it now. I moved away from armour as she wouldn't really need it. This invoker stands at the back of the army casting spells into the battlefield. Kinda a magic form of artillery!

Moving away from armour freed me up a bit and I'm pretty pleased with the clothing now. I've also got my artifact figured (although it's not represented here), it's essentially a large sphere made from planks!

One of the main crits I'm now getting is to do with the feet, that they are too heavy / oversized for the rest of her. I'm also not sure about the claws as opposed to toes. Anyway time for this is really running out now, I need to get modelling. That said I swore to myself I wouldn't begin 3d until I was happy with it on paper. So I need to get these last bits figured out asap.

Coz of this, any feedback you guys could give would be really useful at this point. Welcome and needed! So please feel free to reply with some feedback.

Cant wait to get this locked down and get onto the 3d.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    The more subtle palette does fix that. I would definitely change the feet, as you say they don't fit. If you're looking at claws (which might work, and would firm up the 'not human') take a look at something like ostrich's feet: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3477888/2/istockphoto_3477888_ostrich_feet.jpg They're still designed to run, so they'd have the feeling of flexibility and speed that would fit.

Very nice painting, have you taken a look at deep brown, instead of black, for the costume?
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Thanks for that Kary, I'm checkin out ostrich feet now smile.gif

Did try brown / leather, a friend at work is also keen on the brown leather thang.....I'm not sure though. Hmmmmm.... smile.gif
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Right, done some lower leg reworking.

rath_reworked_feet.jpg
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    A quick update. Getting the body blocked out in zbrush before starting clothing.

body_blocking.jpg
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Latest update. I've blocked out the mesh now (mostly using silo). So this weekend is about adding the detail (mostly in zb3)! Gotta knuckle down over the weekend coz next week is scheduled for materials. Here are some max renders of the blocked out mesh. Hope everyone's is going well. smile.gif

zar_group_01.jpg

zar_group_02.jpg

zar_group_03.jpg

zar_group_04.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! She looks unbalanced, though, and she'd probably fall on her face with the lower legs that far back.
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Reckon you're right Comrade. That side on in the first image shows that the weighting is off. I'll def fix ready for the final pose. I think the feeling of imbalance might come from the banners being twisted whilst her body is neutral. The 2 kinda clash. The banners will need to be reset for detailing and texturing. Hopefully when she's in her more dynamic final pose and the fabric matches her movement better the prob will be fixed smile.gif
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    New update!. This is the high poly mesh. There are still a couple of bits I want to tweak. But tomorrow is all about getting the low poly sorted! :)

hp_render03.jpg

hp_render02.jpg

hp_render01.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've not been lazy then! It's looking great.

I'd like to see some sculpted stretchmarks on the hood where those ribbons are connecting. Or is it rubber?
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Heh! Ta Rick.

Dunno about stretchmarks. I've been umming and arring about that for a little while. Don't want to disrupt the cleaness of the shapes. It might end up being a firmer material.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    So nice and clean!
    I want to see something in the middle of here face, maybe a piercing would fill that emptyness. ;)
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Looking nice! I like It:)
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Well I just final submitted! Cant believe i made it! lol

Can we put our submissions up here? I thought I'd ask before getting in trouble. ;)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jep why not.. everyone do it
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    Cool...thx rollin (thought yours was v cool btw).....right heres mine then.... :)

winningpose.jpg

beautyshot.jpg

constructionshot.jpg

conceptsheet.jpg

texturesheet.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Top job - lovely glow effects there.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Nice model, cool concept, good job, those emissive things are stunnig!
    I see one thing bad: the simple colors without any hue, saturation and intensity tweaks. Any coloring details. I know you following by the concept sketch but the some additional detail on diffuse colorization will make your model more interesting and eyecandy.

Good job!
  • JFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFF
    thanks for the feedback guys :)

Levus I do know what you mean. I had intended to put a subtle pattern into the blue and also some embroidery around the jewel holders on the 'flags'. But must admit in the chaotic rush to finish and enter these got forgotten :(

Oh well.......next year! lmao