Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Blackheart - Nreka

Hey All,

Im Martin, im totally new here, and i decided to side with the polycount team cause ive been following this forum for a couple of days now, and theres tones of competition here thats almost scary, this wars gonna rock.
This my first dominance war so i just wanted to start of by saying hi to all and I wish everyone the best of luck..

Cheers

pics are comming up soon.

Replies

• Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i got a few pics up and scaned, just a note though...
    they were all done in pen, and a shit jotter pad, so the quality is abit meh... (perfect bloody time for my cheap ass to run out of sketchboks)
    so yeah, please feel free any critiques on them

0.jpg

1-7.jpg

2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4.jpg

5-2.jpg

For these upcomming concepts i sort of tried to refine my idea for a mutated demonic look (more like posseded by the artifact), since the artifact would be imbued somewhere either on the characters armour or body, or just floating around them.

6.jpg

7.jpg

abit more of armor ideas,

8.jpg

9-1.jpg

11.jpg

and so far this is my first pass,

10.jpg

again excuse the bloody quality, ill try to take a snapshot of it.

Cheers
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    good luck fellow newbie ..
    see ya on the battle field ..
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Impressive amount of concepts but the one that really catch my eye was the top-middle, two pictures up. Really stunning.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive amount of stuff here, plenty of strong elements too.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks the comments guys, last night i thought i was finished with my concept stuff, but this morning, as soon as i made up my mind on one idea, i regret not using another.
    hehe thats the pain of doing so alot of them for me, trying to choose only one style at the end.

ill have some colored ones up soon too.
    and a much cleaner version of the last pic, edited digitally

Cheers
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10acopy.jpg

just started to color so far, going with human flesh, probably going to transform its into a purple-ish ebony colour where the horns come out, and yeah not much of an update, just all i can put out atm since im busy at work again. unlike prior with all the concepts i did on work hours lol.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far man, you've put in a lot of solid ground-work. Keep up the momentum!
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comment white eagle.
    i sorta hit the shits atm cause i've gotten way too busy to actually work on this dom war.

i hope the momentum sticks lol, but until then back to animating, ill put up some updates on the weekend.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    awesome stuff man. i do think some of it tends to get a little crazy busy but the color piece u got going looks great. hope u get more time cuz i wanna see more!
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Slosh,
    i usually tend to go ape shit when i draw. just popping ideas of how i want the shape to look, and that way i can sorta see more than just one way of creating the armor on him? if that makes sense.
    I refine everything in the paint overs, its a pretty bad practice which im working on but yeah atm im just going nuts with what i know for this war till next time. lol
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update, yeah still cant decide whether i should the torso keep full demon or half in armor,

10ccopy.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    The last one looks really awesome.
    It would be more reasonable if he was coevered entirely in armor but then his cool body wouldn't be visible. Perhaps if he had an overall lighter aromor on him not covering too much perhaps that would solve your dilemma.

Keep it up! I'll be watching. smile.gif
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Looking cool man. This could be a very strong design.

I think your main challenge will be to balance all that detail with the overall shape so that it's not so busy that you lose the character.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ AimBiz

cheers mate, im gonna go with him covered up probably abit more than half, all i know is his not staying topless

@ ChaosEidolon

Yeah i started to get carried away lol, when his covered in some slightly simplified armor i think that will bring back the focus to the silhouette and main outer shape, hopefully anyway lol

cheers for the comments guys, heres my latest update, i added the polycount logo in there abit more... crazed though , i hope it can stay in as being recognizable enough, also tried playing around with some hair aswell, signifying abit of humanity left in him, don't know, looked cool though, i sort of tried to go with the style from the conan the barbarian movie, when he pushes the giant grinder, as its shown when his grown into a man.
    anyway, enough of my blabbing lol

10ecopy.jpg

also i just got told of for not concentrating hard enough on work, lol so i gotta lay of the concepts for a while lol, bloody frustrating i tell ya, but alls fair heh
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Wow man, nice sketching, i like it really!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This really coming together, Martin. A lot of form and no shortage of detailing. I personally like the full demon, just to show the raw power of the artifact taking over the whole body.
    I know you've done a few weapon sketches at the start, but any ideas on what you're going to give this guy?
    Will probably hound you some more at our next sketch group session wink.gif

-caseyjones
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @levus, cheers mate

@ Casey Jones
    Cheers, im looking forward to figuring out how to bloody normal map things at the next session, and as for this guys weapon, yeah, still not to sure, im thinking like those huge double sided battle axes that are like uneven, but shaped as a katar, cause his hands are to big he can use two of those axe katars,
    the hairs abit cheesy i gotta admit, but its like to retain that he is human still somehow, raw demon does sound cooler though, well see.

thanks for the crits

new update,

10gcaopy.jpg

didn't do much this weekend, got busy, i decided to muck around with the hair again, sort of like the whole white look now, and im making the amor more yellowy, there too much blue or black armor around, ill go with something abit diff, like oblivion elven armor colors.

added some history aswell at the start
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this is getting realy hot!! smile.gif
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Indeed it is. I like the armor. What kind of artifact will he have?
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys, they all keep the motivation.

@AimBiZ
    ahh yeah, sorry i didn't make it clear, mate
    im giving him the darkness/void artifact, but i just called it the heart of Lilith in the history
  • Massius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing concepts martin laugh.gif Have been a big fan of your concepting style for a while now
    the demon armor looks brutal as all hell
    i dont mind the hair but i rekon u can make it really mangey and ragged, make it really look like the last traces of his humanity are so broken and downtrodden that he has to rely on his demon side,things like little battle charms and fetishes tied into bits of his hair, wicked stuff like that

i love it mate! keep up the stellar work!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    That looks extremely cool. Seems to be getting a touch wide around mid thigh, but that could just be the body posture for ease of concepting (seems a touch slouched too?).

It's communicating your idea very effectively and looks extremely cool, look forward to watching it come together smile.gif.
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Massius, cheers mate, i thought about the hair, but i didn't want to give him the dead feeling, his still very much alive, but the battle charms sound good, i might sneak them in as i model.

@kary
    thanks for the comment, his abit of a sloucher, cause his arms are to big for him, not enough to look monstrous just cool and stuck in a tensed pose (if that makes sense)lol, yeah, i was contemplating on fixing the armor, i think ill give it a few tests as i model.
    cheers

update
    othog completed, its pretty rough but i think its enough to start modeling now, im pretty sick of drawing and my desk at home sucks, cant concentrate on drawing with the damn wacom as much as i did at work. lol

othogonalcopy.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    sweeeeeeeeet! If you manage to make this into 3d with the same style it has now, then you are my new hero tongue.gif
    keep it up!
  • Blackheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    i just wanted to let you all know this i have to drop out of the dom war, my fiance' and her family is coming down and i wont really have anymore time to work on the side on this.

I will however be working on this character on my own time so ill be bringing some highpoly screenshots in here or my sketch book for those of you who were/are interested to see how it ends up.

I hope next year will be much more breezy schedule for me, but know ill be back again in year again to hopefully redeem myself.

Good luck everyone else.