Offline / Send Message
Irreal polycounter lvl 10
First post, first contest. Will try and post some concepts tonight. ooo.gif

Replies

• Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, quick update just to get things started. Knocked up some weapon concepts last night. Would really like to go for the antler style hilt although i'm not too sure how the low-poly would work out. The idea for most of the weapons is that some kind of magical orb is embedded in the blade. Or something..

2277135433_4e18e77893_o.jpg
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Some nice silhouettes, I think G works best.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's the first batch of thumbnails. Probably gonna have to do a few more until something really jumps out at me. Playing with the idea of a stone-armour with glowing runic elements (those little squiggles).

2277789681_36af300113_o.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Reall great thumbs mang!!!

I love your character thumbs! My favorite is the one with the very organic flowing weapon on the bottom left.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount, mate. And off to a great start already.
    The weapon designs are pretty sweet, with C and F being my favourite.
    With the character silhouettes, the weapon seems to be taking all the focus with their high detail where the characters a plain. Keeping things consistent with shape/form and design will help push your character in the right direction.
    For example the second character on the top is holding the swirly sword, yet it has sharp swooping shoulder armour which is consistent with the sharp swooping hilts on some of your sword designs. Maybe putting those swirls in somewhere instead of the sharp swoops will help sell the culture and design of your character.
    Keep plugging away dude and good luck.

-caseyjones
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to Polycount, a great start

You've got a style that reminds me of someone I used to work with a few years ago.
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great...i like the H sword, very simple but nice form!keep them coming and good luck !
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Yea nice to see ya mate. smile.gif I like the top right dude. And a mix between E F G.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    ho yeah I love that 3rd dude on the first row !! crazy.gifcrazy.gif
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More concepts. i really need to start nailing down an idea. will start refining the designs soon if i can just get over this hangover. confused.gif

2285466393_9db208606b_o.jpg

2286254844_62c00a75aa_o.jpg
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, im gonna go with this guy although he needs a ton more refining. basically, if you can interpret my squiggles he's wearing some kind of bone armour so im looking at having a bright sort of colour scheme. I think im gonna switch to using pencils now because my lack of photoshop painting skills is producing a not so lovely grey blob. ooo.gif

<font color="red">WARNING: Pencil skills not much better </font>

2291834157_70db36790e_o.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah go for the pencils! I did, I find it helps just to get away from the computer some times, its almost restful just scribbling away with a pencil and paper. the bone armour looks interesting but it confuses me as the concept is a bit flat and doesnt show much curvature or depth. Would the bone be curving around the character like a rib cage or is it flat like a giant bow tie?
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really good point about the curvature. i need to figure out how he appears in profile. i'd imagine they curve back slightly.

where's my pencil? I know i left one on my desk about 7 years ago.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i ditched photoshop for the sketches as my lack of skill was really holding me back. Learning how to paint in photshop and trying to be creative at the same time just wasn't working for me. Sooo, here's a badly taken photo of my new design (iphone camera sucks). I would have scanned it but my mates scanner wasn't compatible with Vista 64. Brill!

Gonna refine the concept over the weekend and then im into the zbrush because i'll be able to nail down the form more easily in 3d i think. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated of course.

2299295157_673f422e66_o.jpg
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    Hay man ,,,

Don’t worry about being at the concept phasre I still am trying to find a concept ..

Did one last night thought may have potenctal .. posted it .. every one thinks it`s shit lol

Your`s however looks cool .. I defo like it more than the last ..

Although I think it needs a lot more concepting to refine it / dress it before you start modelling it ..

Keep it going dude ..
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, some zbrush updates. His horns are based on the african buffalo but they are looking a little goldilocks on him. Not too sure about the his feet. Would they support his weight? He's meant to be light and agile so i kind of want a springiness to him. A kind of pent up tension in his legs as though he could leap into action at any time. I'll put the armour on once the body is properly fleshed out.
    2313649327_f5f5d166ec_o.jpg

2314462320_7a9f2c9598_o.jpg
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Yeah the horns really look like hair, i would try to make them more like bull horns.
    Hard to imagine how this legs move, it also looks like he fall to the front.
    I like his face a lot but he looks very stupid with the open mouth, you could make some teeth sticking out of his mouth.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, been a while since an update. It seems my beasty is a constantly evolving thing. Wasn't happy with his proportions so i've been messing around in zbrush pushing, pulling, scaling etc. The horns are a quick mockup after numerous other attempts failed. Still needs work on the feet and i've adjusted his balance so he doesn't look like he's going to fall over as much. Will probably need to retopologise him in zbrush.

2329371201_a0735d5838_o.jpg

2330196102_4c3b7edf81_o.jpg
  • Poly-Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poly-Jon polycounter lvl 16
    Looking good keep it up smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! I like the soft feel of your sculpting, if you gave the horns,claws and spine some very sharp edges it would look cool, the whole contrast thing.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, got i got in a bit of a mess with this. Decided to retopologise in zbrush which turned into a monumental pain in the arse. frown.gif.

So, i'm calling this sculpt pretty much final and im gonna move onto the armour tomorrow. (fingers crossed).

2352848268_df3b56085a_o.jpg

2352020539_1c1ba7d614_o.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    nice update.. like the head a lot more now!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, nice style!
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this, keep it up.