Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Clint - Stronus

Clint
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Clint polycounter lvl 18
Was thinking about joining Game Artisans this year but i just couldnt leave my roots so im stickin with you guys again. Heres some doodles. Take yer pick.
confused.gif
thumbs1pg4.jpg

***Update
Near final concept.
donewr5.jpg

Replies

• Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Clint, dude i'm really digging 4 and 6. 4 especially because he looks so gleeful to posses so much power...MWHAHAHAHAHA! Awesome stuff, can't wait to see what you do man!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    3!!!

8 is also cool, but a little less formal design

number 3!!! do it!!!!!
    its like Vega (sf2) matador samurai bushido warrior
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 5 and 8 beg to be done... they're yelling it out man!

"do me do me do me!!!"

DO THEM!

haha no kidin

cant wait to see ur awesomeness this year. hope u can finish.

good luck!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    2 & 3 are doing it for me.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    3, 6, or 8 for the win.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    1 actually seems the most innovative to me. that being said, i like 4!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Jeez so many differnet opinions. Well at least i can probably rule out 1 5 7 and 9 cool.gif. As many of you guys are, im kinda diggin on 3 and i would also like to play with 2 a bit more; maybe try implementing some of the artifacts and elemental powers into the arms. Anyways, just to make things a little more difficult, ill try and have a whole new set of doodles tomorrow! confused.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    2, 3 or 8 with 2's additional hands smile.gif
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Really like nr 8, its not always bad to do a archetype. Nr 3 Looks very nice indeed, it got something fresh to it.
  • gZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like the first one, mixed with che big arms of the second.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    oh shit 10... awesome

go!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    2 is amazing, 10 is cool too.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a little late to the debate here, but I think 2, 3 and 5 were your strongest. 1 is the most unusual form, but doesn't have much else going for it. 3 is the most dynamic, though you'll want to guard against resembling the warhammer 40k eldar. I love 5 because it defies most conventions for fantasy badass dudes-- its akin to what would happen if Atlas got reeeaally pissed off. I have to say tho, I think 2 is far and above your best. Normally people just make *power gauntlets*, but this way its as if the armature is acting independently but in unison with the wearer. Strong pose too.

Not to knock 10, 11 and 12, but I don't think they're as strong as your best from the first set. 10's pretty good, but on all three you're losing the originality that you were approaching earlier.

Just my opinion tho, and regardless you're putting some good work in.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    3 , 10 and 12

very cool thumbs smile.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
  • Kalvin Lyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 from your original thumbs totaly jumped out at me. Great pose! On the second sheet put me down for 10 (which looks like an evolution of 2 kinda). I love the arm feather things and I'm a sucker for kirby dots wink.gif
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. With yalls help, ive narrowed my choices down to 2,3, and 10. Either tonight or tomorrow ill try to get around to messing around with the ideas and refining the concepts for those three.

wake: Thanks for the input. Yea when i concept i usually start out strong with fresh ideas then i tend to pucker out after 2 to 4 decent concepts haha. But i totally agree with you for the most part. I really liked the shape of #1 but he was to plain. Yesterday i tried creating some sort of attire for him but i gave up when i couldnt really produce anything that complimented his uniqe shape. Ive always liked 2 and 3. I never really though of 5 as unconventional in the way that you did. It kind of inspired me and i think ill also give that one some much needed attention. Ill also agree that my second set was weaker in origionality than my first but i did like 10 alot after i finished and it seems that it has attracted a bit of a following.

Stay tuned...
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    I would go with a bulked up version of 10. Give me legs/claws or a weapon that would allow him to crash down on top of an enemy. Good luck.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i love 3, but 10 and 12 are awesome as well
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    I like 3 and 8 (with jus a little bigger foots:) )
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Clint, looking forward to what you're going to put up next. If you're still thumbnailing, Gauss posted an extremely helpful quick guide to different ways of thumbnailing. I think it'll help if you're still trying to flesh out new ideas-- it certainly helped me. Its about halfway down the first page.

wake
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    6, 8 & 3 in order of awesomeness
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
  • lorddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorddon polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen a lot of the "hulking brute" lately so I would go with 10 to be different.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Bleh. Fuckin school and work taking up all my Dom War time. Anyway i messed around with #2 some more. Its not my final descision i just havent had time to mess with 3 and 10 yet frown.gif

bigarmsbr9.jpg
  • Smooth_Criminal
    I love it, he looks bad ass.. I am not sure abut 3 but 10 definitely has a nice silhouette .
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yes! That's looking superb!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin good so far Clint. I know that this was just a quick post of #2, but I think you're too quickly moving into the standard fantasy-artifact jargon and not giving your concept enough credit. The spiked hair is what everyone puts on their badass, just as making an artifact float or glow is the most accepted language for something that's 'powerful'. It's like how Gauss ranted during the first dom war about people putting 'glowy bits' on their armor and machines to make them look 'futuristic'. I think you should try to move beyond those and find your own way visually to express power and the arcane. And if you put glowing runes on it I'm going to slap you laugh.gif

Whether by accident or intent, the way that armor went together worked very well, and the helmet was quite appealing. Try and interpret the little details of the thumb on a larger scale. It doesn't always work, but sometimes you can get some results that a far better than what you might otherwise have come up with.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. For shits I did a quick paintover so that some of what I said makes sense. I really love this concept, and I think if you treat it nice and take it out to dinner every once in a while you might just get lucky smile.gif

Keep it up.

bigarmspaintover.jpg
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Wake- my thanks for you taking my concept to dinner. I didnt get to play with it nearly as much as i wanted but yea i wasnt crazy about what i had, i was just posting some new material. I had the arms floating because i was trying to attatch them like you did but i was having trouble getting it to balance out and look practical. One thing i was thinking was to have the arms floating but have some sort of tenticles coming out of the shoulder area and impaling the character or maybe connect them to the chest armor. And the head was just me messin around before i went tosleep :P. Thanks tons though for taking the time to do this paintover man. It has really helped me to visualize the direction that i want to take this guy now. I hadnt really gotten to the legs yet but i really like the shapes that you have going on in the paintover so i might stealz them ahah. Ill definately do some more variations on this guy and i still wanna mess with those other two.

Thanks!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Well i finally got around to messing with this stuff some more today. I played with the 4 arm guys some more. I like the positioning of the arms now thanks to Wake but im completely unhappy with their shape. Im going to do another pass. I want the arms to look really alien and more organic than the techy look i currently have. I also worked a little on detailing out the featherd guy. Expect more tomorrow as i have quite a bit of time at the moment.Gotta get crackin on this, pick a concept and start a model.

bigarmsom2.jpg
    thebirdqh7.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey!
    like both.. but the featherguy is my fav! smile.gif

realy cool stuff
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Non feather guy!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    oh man, number 10 has so much more character and is far more unique... everyone (myself included) is doing burly multi-armed characters... big strong monster dudes with broad shoulders. Feathers guy would stand out so wonderfully against the backdrop of all those characters... the proportions and great and he just feels like a really solid design. DO 10. NOW. GET BACK TO THE CHOPPA.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    featherguy, definitely
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    I have to say that I want to cheer on what I helped paint-over, but you're really pulling something together with so-called featherguy. He just has a fun vibe to him, and while you're having success with Doc-quatro I think you'll *soar* (pardon me laugh.gif) with your other design. Slap on some WWI aviator goggles or somethin'-- that'll have some great reference for you. Although then again, that does tend to be overdone... But yeah, awesome.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    well here i go again. I played with the ninja guy and came up what i think is one of my better human costume designs, i just still dont think he can stand up to the origionality of the other two. I also tried the dual arms guy again and i am much happier with the results. I sort of went backwards in terms of concept completeness but i am happy with the weight and proportions and can see the fine details in my mind. I would go for a sort of organic, sinewy feel on the arms with a sort of exoskeleton around the elbows shoulders and hands. Then the skin around the humanoid's chest and shoulders would have an almost burned ashy look to it. Anyways, my goal is to have complete and colored concepts of the two most popular of these three.
    C&C!

ninjats4.jpg
    bigarms2iw2.jpg
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    quad arms for sure.. I am diggin that right up
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    the last ninja is much more original and got a strong character!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The feather guy and the quad arm guy are my favourite.
    If you do go with the quad arm, careful with how you do the top set of arms. The earlier post makes them look very machinical/robotic which is obviously a big no-no.
    Keep it up, mate.

-caseyjones
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    So im a huge slacker. Copletely wasted spring break on drunkeness. I did finally pick a concept tho and get a solid direction going. Now i just have to double time it and build a base and start sculpting. Ill also probly throw a few more concepts in because i am not happy with the gauntlet and leg armor on the guy.

donewr5.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    magic-arms-shoulderpads.. how awesome is this!!??

and get in gears.. NOW ksch-ksch-ksch smile.gif
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    The updated concept looks great. I hope you have a start on your model, otherwise time could become a factor.

Good luck!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Absolutely fantastic Clint. I think you've resolved nearly all of the outstanding issues that hampered this concept. The arms are clearly non-mechanical now, so that's now longer a problem, and congratulations he looks like a badass :D I think the leather banding that you have going on around the arms and legs works well, and maybe you might just be able to apple that more liberally along the lower legs to solve that issue. Just a thought. Regardless, the expression and overall posture are both great. Just get your ass in gear so this baby can have its day in the sun!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks wake. While he may not be finished for this comp as i have been busy as shit with school, he will indeed see the sun one day for a personal portfolio piece. I cant put such work into a concept and then just toss it away so as long as it takes, ill finish it.