Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - RICHKID - the Fugees

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
richkid polycounter lvl 13
and from one of her 6 mouths she shall sing the song that ends the world!
CthulaSmall.jpg

just a place holder, i think im gonna do a child that has grown up on the battlefield, scavenging for food and supplies from the bodies rotting in the streets of polycount teritories.

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    eyyy, lookin forward to seeing what you crank out smile.gif your last entry was pretty inventive
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so here is my first doodle for this mother. just a quickie. still not sure what i want yet, so im just gonna do a couple things that are in my head and see what comes out. for this one there are like 15 pages of others i wasnt diggin. this doesnt go with the refugee idea i had, and that one is still getting kicked around, but i like where this one is headed.
    HealerWeb.jpg
    he is a healer style guy, thinkin maybe have a large tablet on his back or some sort of banner. something people would gather around in order to revitalize thier green blood
    enjoy
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, i ran with this little man for a while, and this is kind of what i came up with
    gnomish.jpg

i would still want tons of shit hanging off of him, but this is the rough idea.

now im thinking about something like this, having some sort of warlock or wizard, and do him for the concept piece, and do his 2 familiars for the 3d entry. here is the first pass for a body type for one of the familiars, i think im gonna go with the ever proven perfect 10 for the pair

familiarone.jpg

show me some love, give me a pounding or a hug
  • Chernobyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo, I'm glad you posted this one. As much as I liked your refugee idea, I think this one is going somewhere good. I like the idea of a tablet, having him bent over with his burden. You could probably get some good texture out of the tablet with all sorts of old runes and the like.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    wow rich i could learn a thing or two from ur paints... very animated facial expressions and visual weights.. great stuff.. cant wait to see more progress
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very expressive! Its nice to see some stylistic veriety in the comp so far!

I am enjoying the dwarf-like character the best. His expressive features have purpose, yet are playful as well. It could be fun to give him some cool trinkets in his pack. Fantastic work so far!
  • boomz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boomz polycounter lvl 9
    Digging the style. Agreed with Arix, the dwarf character is looking pretty fun so far. Furry-old-man eyebrows ftw! That would be a lot of accessory work but well worth the detail. I really like the dwarf's staff(s). For general awesomeness purposes I admire the 2nd one the most, almost anything is cool looking when you drape a tattered cloth from it, but the shape is really nice to boot.

I can't help but love that tub of goo Warlock too though. Something about his current posture labels him as being innocent, but given the right armor and weapons he could be a fierce opponent--or maybe he could still be innocent if he were a couple of hundred feet tall and commanded by someone atop his shoulder to sit on the approaching enemies. Just be sure to armor his ass a lot. Keep 'em coming!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    love the concepts!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here is the basic proportions im thinkin for this guy. his power comes from his experience, not his physical self. im gonna use this pick to do paint overs and figure out the rest of him. i like the idea of a huge jacket that makes him look big, but when he opens it there is a feeble old saggy boobed body in there.

skinnybodyWeb.jpg

he is gonna be a man of magic, but im still figuring out where that power is gonna come from.
  • KPtoons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good bra. I really like the third drawing in the thread, he has fun features and a great bod haha
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the experience idea. Like a yoda invoker, way cool! Can't wait to see some paint-overs
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man i love your style man!!! love it!!
    ah ha and the singing little fish girl...
    just love it!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here is where he is at for the moment. i am having a hard time figuring out what elemental gifts he may posess.
    Marlow.jpg

he is a healer, i am thinking if i go void, he could bamf out to the battlefield to the wounded and either bring them back or operate there. then use the void idea to reach into people to operate on him

other than that i am kind of at a loss, it will be kind of hard to show that in one pose. i guess he would be like the twins in the matrix....hehe only not stupid

bring on the crits mother fuckers, i feel like im on DA im seeing so many hugs floating around these threads. last year i spent half the battle crying in a corner cutting myself because of the things said. AND WHERE THE HELL IS GAUSS...i need my muse laugh.gif
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, would this work, a summoner, like felix the cat. summons a portal in the bottom of his bag that he can pull what ever out of. have a shot of him pulling a demon out of his little man purse laugh.gif

just kickin out the idea, summon demons and also objects for healing, reach in and pull out some first aid junk.

swish that around your cute little heads and get back to me
  • Massius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st thought in my head:
    Oh, a six-demon bag!
    Terrific, a six-demon bag. Sensational. What's in it?
    Wind, fire, all that kind of thing!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to tell a better story with your concept. Think visual storytelling. If you have to type anything up to explain what does what, then youre doing something wrong. The judges certainly wont be reading a summary of your character, they'll just look at the pictures.

When I look at your concept, I see an old homeless gnome beggar.

If you want him to be a medic (which is kinda going against the brief since it said you were an artifact user sent to "destroy" the threat."), then you need some sort of medical symbols, or tools, or gloves with blood on them, or a mask, or bandages, or ANYTHING.

I like this concept a bit better btw: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c37/hakysakninja/gnomish.jpg

I think I like the teeth, the arms, and the flag a lot in that concept.

EDIT: kickass art btw.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you boys, this is why i look forward to this every year, feedback.

MASSIUS: i assume you are referencing something with "six demon bag" not catching the reference though. and im not looking to summon creatures as much out of it, more along the lines of magic items.
    AESIR: i understand your concern about the lack of story telling. its just not how i work though, i tend to start with a naked guy and as i dress him i tell the story. thinking of what tools and things he puts on as he gets ready for the day. but before i understand what he does...i need to focus on where he is. so first i start with this hobo because i think of the brief as a post apocalyptic world first and foremost, with a fantasy undertone. so the homeless beggar comment is right on. and my last 3 posts have been asking what other people think would work, does someone who summons objects still meet this worlds idea of a summoner. that level of identity hasnt been mixed in to him yet. this is just a first pass on the final idea.

anyway, im ranting. the core of what im saying is that im tossed up between void, vegetation and summoning. it does fit the brief, he is mostly support, read the clericon or what ever it is called.

i too like the guy with the flag, but he doesnt represent what i want this character to be.

so until i nail down what i want it to be, i am going to have a description next to it, so people can see whats going on in my head, and tell me whats reading right and whats reading wrong, this is a learning thing for me.

so, more crits like that please, thank you sir and keep them coming
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what about putting some potions on a leather utility belt.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    enough talk! more work!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENGE: i was rolling that around in my head, might be in the next post

ERIC: haha, go clean off the driveway
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here is a bit closer to what im thinking,
    Marlow-1.jpg

hit it like it owes you money!
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    I think purple, orange or even just white would contrast the dirty green clothing better.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Holy crap thats awesome. That face is frigin fantastic. I don't know if i like the 3 fingers. It's a maybe right now. But i like the idea of four, or else one with four and the other with 3 (1 finger having been lost do to science!).
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NARU: white sounds rad, ill play with the sliders, its on its own layer still
    DUR: thanks much, a couple friends have wanted a full hand as well, so i guess some extra fingers might end up in there. guess i am the only disney fan.

dont know if this is an urban legend type thing or not, but in japan it used to be an insult to hold up a hand with 3 fingers, kind of like the opposite of out flipping off. it was like calling someone low class, lower levels in society had to do a lot of the meat cutting jobs and ran a high risk of losing fingers from it. i believe oddworld had to change the finger count in the first game due to an issue like that when porting to japan. it always made me wonder why disney got away with it, besides sliding a butt load of money across the table.

anyway, more updates soon
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    This is really cool - great to see a more stylized approach to this comp.

I say keep the 3 fingers - it hightens the stylization and is a cartoon mainstay- its become tradition for a reason!

I heard that the three finger thing not being accepted in Japan was something to do with the Yakuza and that entrants into teh gang had to have a finger cut off/ cut a finger off - maybe just urban myth though. Apparently the UKs most famous mail delivery guy - Postman Pat was banned from Japan fo rthis very reason!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks fats, the yakuza sounds a lot cooler. we will see how the fingers feel deeper into...the contest.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig that little guy, tons of character in him. Coming along well mate, can't wait to see it in 3D.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarlowNew.jpg

here is a new costume design, i wasnt liking the poncho together with bag, so here is like a thermal, and some netting.

i like the bag slung over the back more, and the little ones are like holsters, for quick draw magic styles
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really dig where you're taking this idea. I'm not too sure about the humpback - any particular reason why? I'm even thinking that the humpback itself might be a reason why he can harness magic? just a thought... but great work nevertheless!
  • Supervlieg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supervlieg polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, I like the different approach. I would like to see this happen.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he needs a familiar. An adorable little squirrel or kiwi bird or 'something' sitting on that hump.
  • Massius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heheh it was the 6 demon bag quote big trouble in little china, its a bag little old chinese dude has that he pulls random crystal things that he tends to throw at people and they blow up
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohhhhh wow, how did i miss a quote from that, i suck. thats it, im scrapping it and making jack burton, cause when the machines are risin and demon forums are plowing through the portals...you just remember what jack burton says...

oh yeah, narusol, yes, currently i am planning on having it a comic duo, so there will be some sort of familiar or imp.
  • Massius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

ahaha gold! so many one liners to choose from!

its lookin good richkid (forgot to mention this last post) your little dude had tons of character, i especially like the green potions and glows he has goin on
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Huge improvement over your last year's entry, mate. A whole lot more style, great concept and now I'm looking forward to seeing the model.
    Keep it up, mate.

-caseyjones
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here are some different magic effect colors,
    colors.jpg

hes bags are kind of like felix the cat's bag.(dont walk away just yet) so he reaches in and can summon what ever is needed from them. but since the opening of a bag is only so big he pulls out this ashy substance that he can draw a quick portal with that the object can come out of or him possibly step through. the ashes are the remains of his first born after sacrificing it to the giant polycount artifact (see gauss' first post for ritual).

maybe this would be void, but he is summoning things from it...so i am calling it summoning laugh.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i would say.. green

and nice sketch smile.gif
  • KPtoons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seeing that your on polycount i would say green too. i would say do like an orange-ish yellow, but then that could be mistaken for fire or something. go green.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I gota go against the grain and say the bottom right. That silver blue is badass and a nice boost to the color palet with out going over the top neon. Also since you have to represent the "team" and all that jazz, dont fall into the whole, it must be green vibe. his sidekick familiar can be what links him to the team? who knows, you can get really creative with that part rather than just being up in your face green galor.

I really like the new outfit! i was diggn the pancho, but after seeing this, I think the new outfit gives more room to add accessories and such taht will make him more interesting to look at. That seems to be the down side to a pancho, it covers alota area on the figure with 1 big shape. And finnaly....those glasses....oh my....genious =D

so onto the REAL question.....wheres the model block in? cmon, dont lie. i know you bound to be ancy and started workn on atleast a perportion block in?
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man I like the idea so far. Bottom right color is my favorite as well though green wouldn't be bad either. +1 to the idea of him having a little critter sidekick of some sort. Looking forward to your progress.
    -Art
  • EnErgEstEr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you went green he might be interpreted as a druid. Id say white for healing or blue or blueish whitish like a light saber. But all of those colors look pretty good.
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the orange and the white-blue best. Perhaps you could do a combination, The orange with bits of purple in it, or the white-blue with bits of red?
  • BlackB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the green and the light blue the best!!
    same as what naruSol says if u mix the colours would be interesting!!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so im going with the light one, as for his familiar, im thinking something along the lines of a tarsier
    http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/583/2500/f/7969-Philippine-Tarsier-0.jpg

maybe make it a bit more fantasy looking, but imagine something like that perched on his hump, possibly handing him stuff

hahahha, i laugh just describing it
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a quicky block out i started. maybe get around to the head tonight...maybe not, you never know
    wires.jpg
  • KPtoons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the body looks really solid, but are you going to keep the clothing part of the same mesh as his body? seems like it would be easier to zbrush that if it was seperate but thats just me. and i know this is early on so things change and whatnot. polyhugs.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    screeny.jpg
    here is another progress of the poly pushin
    kurt:yeah, you can see in this one where the attachments are broken off, then once i like where it is at, i will detach the body apart and detail everyhting on its own.

damn hugs
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah
    check this out mr Rich
    dramatic lemur crazy.gif
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, awesome. Loads of character keep it up.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, just to show i am still crackin on this dude, here is a shot of the start of his bag.
    bag.jpg
    i am doing each material as a procedural, then when i bake the info over, i can get the gloss, spec, normal, ao, bump, and base color laugh.gif

the belt is done like this too, as will most things

crits, comments, whatever you got