Homeโ€บ Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - JeremyGritton - Lord Gregor

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    much much much better man, as ged said a bit too contrasty, but looking awesome nonetheless
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa, what happened to all the nice colours around his legs?
    The whole thing's gone a bit noisy. The diffuse looks too dark and desaturated, and the specular seems like it's all white lines... do you have any colour in your specular map?

I much preferred the more saturated flesh from the earlier one too.

You did remove more of the painted "light and shade" from the earlier diffuse, but it looks like you took most of the large contrasting values and saturations from it too, which I think has hurt the piece overall.

Maybe overlay the old map at 50% on top of this one and then it'll be ok ;)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    That's like a million percent better.

If you could let us know what you did different that would be great, because to me its like night and day. You can still push it further though, I think it could use a little more color.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with mop. At least put it on a bit of a lighter background so you can see some more details. A lot is getting lost right now because it blends in to the background.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe just pop in another fill light?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Whats up guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I think, my monitors brightness might be set too high. I tested the image on a couple other screens and it does look really dark on them. I'll try to fix what I can today. I will try bumping up the ambient
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    give him some slight colors back (just a bit)

and the overall scratch stuff has to be less attractiv as the main-shapes.. atm both are at the same level

finishiiiiing :)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I really can see the improvement here, man ! It's really less cartoon this way. You could try to detach the character a bit more from the Background though (by making the BG brighter). I've to agree with MoP on some points here. I'd try to come back with some colors here and there (if you don't want to add them in the diffuse, try with colored key,fill and back light, instead ), right now, the black shadows and the white highlights is making the whole piece a bit too desaturated. Also, try to fix the aliasing. I know, aliasing = game art, but in your case it doesn't really help to read the piece.
    As a final point (and if you have energy/time of course ;) ), I'd try to work a bit more on the specular map. Like MoP said, adding some color information to it would definitely help. Also, I can see some dirt on the metal, but the amount of specularity is the same everywhere (it's maybe due to the lighting, don't know).

Anyways, keep up the good work and all the best for the final tweaking day ! ;)
  • NuclearWarrior
    I think there's a bit too much noise/gook/splatter texture in certain parts. As people have said it's kind of distracting from the form. In general it's an awesome job getting that greasy/worn metal look - really excellent especially on the upper thigh armor near the hips where the black metal is scratched away. As for the skin, I prefer it like you have it now, so I think that's a preference thing - not one is better than the other, so it's really up to you decide. I think it would be interesting to try what Mop said and mix the old texture in at 50%, although I do prefer this direction in general more. As for the darkness thing, I think it just needs more of a noticeable fill light. Although, my monitor is on the darker side. Good luck finishing him up.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Thanks, I'm still working on it..

I have two n00bish questions. Maybe I'm just tired. But I can't even find the link to submit my images. And, I don't know how to change my thumbnail on the Dom War site. Anyone willing to help a brother out?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    go domwarpage -> login -> klick polysmilie -> join war -> 3d entry (left)
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Impressive work man, lookin powerful really!
  • Vanessa Mull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really cool
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I love the newest render. I really like the contrast in, feels a bit 300-ish. Great style

Though after seeing the comments I checked it on my second monitor (CRT that's not nearly as bright as my main LCD), and it's definitely a bit dark.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    sheeeeit! Congrats on a fine entry
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is insane. Looks really good. I think the green glow from the mask is a little messed up though. I think it would look better if it was confined to staying inside the mask and not outside.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Too Much BLACK!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, I survived my first (and only) dominance war! Wow, it was way harder and more time consuming than I thought it would be coming into it. I tip my hat to all the people who entered last year and came back for this year's war too. You guys are hardcore!

Here's my final submissions, I just finished uploading a few minutes ago

gregor_winning.jpg

gregor_beauty.jpg

gregor_construction.jpg

gregor_textures.jpg

gregor_concept.jpg

Plenty of flaws, but oh well :) Just plain ran out of time. Best of luck to the rest of the polycounters, there's a lot of strong competition out there but I think we will end up with a pretty solid lineup as a team, so you never know

To everyone who provided me with feedback, crits or encouragement, thank you!

Now I can finally have my free time (and sleep time) back

Peace!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You did a good job man, be proud.

Now go do something relaxing :)
  • shinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man awesome ! u rawk for sure your in the top 10 ! good luk man
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    It turned out great :)
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just have to say again that this is freakin insane!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    that's awesome man :)
  • Monstagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FE!

It's spectacular, man. Just so impressive and, in this brother's opinion, among the top two or three entries I've found. I really do think you could win! After a nap, I hope you change you mind and participate again next year -- this is the kind of work that makes the War worth watching!

M
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the awesome peice man, really well thought out and completed. One of my favorite pieces of the war, looking forward to what you do next.

Spark
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, just wow. Great job. This is all yours. I just love the concept and you nailed it on with the texture repaint.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    realy cool entry.. and i think i have forgotten how damn timeconsuming this thing is.. ;)
  • corrosion
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    creapy but great!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats, many will die painful deaths under this badass' blade!
    The detail work is amazing.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, one of my fave 3d entries, looks really cool. Congrats :)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ehehe, Pretty Cool final, You did good, I realy love the normal map, render fcking well, Goodjob!
  • Red Republik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet! i really like the changes you did to the color scheme. it's still polycount, but not as crazy green as before. very strong finish! i'm sure you'll get into the top 10
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff! Congrats to finishing! Good luck! Your concept is awesome btw, and you have the modeling skills to accurately portray your art, that is something you dont see very often!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great job man! I think you were able to get the same kind of quality in your diffuse as your normal map, which says a lot. I can't wait to see what place they give you. You would have my vote for 1st on poly count.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, i hope this places really well too! Definately one of my favorites all boards combined, the idea of having two bodies merged into one is just priceless to me. And like the others have said, the idea is rendered very well :) . Best of luck on the judging.
  • dem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dem
    Beautiful Work! Love it all.
    Wish you the best on this entry!
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. Good luck with the contest.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Great model, really fun Design. One of the best normal maps I have ever seen! Holy Crap what did you bake your normals in?? Your stuff always inspires me man.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hot damn thats all kinds of awesome.

Good luck with the contest. This piece surely deserves something.
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump for the sake of awesomeness. This is my favorite entry.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'll pile on like everyone else and say you did one hell of a job on this. Concept to execution, this is top notch work.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the long break, been taking some time off from the computer :P

Asmuel,
    Thanks! I have been :D

Shinja,
    Thanks man! Even top 50 would be a great accomplishment

kary,
    Thanks!

jeramy79,
    Thanks I appreciate it :) Maybe more that I am insane for biting off more than I could chew

vahl,
    Thanks yours is one of my favs - great work!

Monstagon,
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it! As for next year, it is a year away after all, so who knows maybe by then I will forget the hard aspects of the comp and only remember the good stuff :)

Spark,
    Thanks man, your work turned out great, I have all your highpoly sculpting saved to my HD now :)

jbrophy,
    Thanks man, was fun keeping up with you throughout the comp

rollin,
    Thanks.. Your work had some of the best polish to it of all the entries I've seen definitely the quality I want to strive toward for a finished product. Awesome stuff!

corrosion,
    Thanks!

Japhir,
    Thanks

Bal,
    Thanks man! I don't know - it's a pretty flimsy blade, I think I knocked it together in a couple hours on the second to last day

fightpunch,
    Thanks man

b1ll,
    Unfortunately I think the plain normal mapped version was the highpoint of the process, from there things went downhill a bit. Learned something along the way though. Thanks :)

RedRepublik,
    Thanks man, I also really liked your piece. Great work. I think I've learned I need to figure out my colors beforehand, instead of doing a monochromatic concept cause I'm too lazy to figure it out early on. :)

Firecracker197,
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it, it was my first drawing in about 4 years. I never really do 2d work so it was challenging for me

BradMyers82,
    Thanks man, but I think there are many other more deserving entries

wizo,
    Thanks I'm glad you like the idea

dem,
    Thanks! Appreciate it

georgemancer,
    Thanks man

Josh_Singh,
    Thanks I baked in 3dsmax 9. The shots were normal map + ambient occlusion. Great work on your entry, one of my favorites for sure

JesseMoody,
    Thanks!

mvelasquez,
    Thank you!

I also just wanted to add that the winning pose shot I posted on the previous page is not the one getting judged in the contest. I like that one more and it's the one I'm going to keep on my website (color corrections and whatnot), but the contest submission winning pose is a straight screengrab including alpha'd out planes for the text and BG

gregorWinningPose1.jpg

And a video of that shot in the viewport if anyone wants to check it out. You will probably need the latest Quicktime though

http://www.jeremygritton.com/wip/gregorViewportVid.zip

I have a full resolution available on request if anyone wants it. its about 90 megs though D:

Last thing,

Some people had asked if I could type some stuff up after the contest. What specifically would you like? How to set up a normal + ambient occlusion bake?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great man! congrats on making the top 50!
  • LampRabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What specifically would you like? How to set up a normal + ambient occlusion bake?

I think that was what people wanted to see (I know I would).. and maybe talk about your lighting setup to display your normal map ... as that could be one of the major reasons it looked really good (among the bake etc)

thx
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with LampRabbit. But most importantly to me, I wanted to see how you set up your shader so you could see the ambient occlusion, normals ect. and the lights affecting it real time.