Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Riad Raid WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
hey my first post in ages and ages,
sommit ive been working on for a while, even though im in crunch at mo, i had a day with no girlfreind, and therefore no distractions to work on it, so i thought id post where id got to.

last autumn i went for a little wander down through Granada (southern spain) over the sea and down through Morroco (by train) to Marrakesh, I really enjoyed the architecture there and wanted to do something with all the photos i took( you cant take an env. artist on holiday without a few, "hang on im just waiting for some cloud so i can take a photo of that brick wall").

i decided on making a small map based around a Morrocan Riad (a small hotel like establishment based around courtyard) although the design was also strongly inspired by the Alhambra (massive Moorish palace\fort in Granada) in particular the longer central courtyard that I have nearly completed, as traditional Riads are generally based around a square courtyard.

any way enough gab heres some piccys

1.jpg

this shows the courtyard that ive nearly =D finished ( not all normal or spec maps are made, needs some dirt layers in the main plaster material, oh and the other side. dup and rotate)

wires.jpg

heres the level as a whole, it has one main route through the main courtyard, and two sub-routes, 1 down the side of the courtyard, and 2 crossing under it (clostrophobic back route), the top level leads to two sniper towers facing each other and covering the other teams route (NOT SHOWN IN THIS dAMN IT).

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e4rr

Riyadh maybe?

nice work man love the pillars especially!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riad from memory and from a few quick interweb searches for "marrakech hotels", where does Riyadh come from? maybe different localistion?

just reallised the roof in renders is just the interior beamed ceiling backfaces, doh, need to re-render with propper roof tiles in =D
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh!! Marrakech. kk. i thought it was to do with Riyadh of Saudi Arabia. Apologies!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i geuss theres some language cross-over there =)

well i un-hid the roof then imediatly realised that changes need to be made doubled the size of the map(less tiling) unfortunatly i run out of time tonight, i need to go to bed the decemberists are giving me a head ache( never a good thing)

anyway heres what i got so far, need some more work on sorting the tiling out, yay i love spending polys

7.jpg

8.jpg

yawn bed time, why is it the later i get home from work the longer i stay awake?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the fecking awfull renders those terracotta tiles are way too blue, im not used to max going back onto it after a year away =(
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Looks promising Shepeiro.
    Imho textures need some more touchy touchy. If U will say on what platform/game u are aiming it will be easier to give u feedback. For sure its too empty now, texture are not lit, U have some areas with fine detail( roof top) and some almost without ( walls). Texture of walls should be imho more detailed, some decals will help a lot. Some of the areas U can add on alpha(pic belove) Red area is alpha, u can use different color map there, marble or wood will be nice touch. And U are not using so much polies and door area won't look so weird. U can also add some vertex color in darker areas ( like bottom of the column, make it a bit darker).
    Its all from me for now. Hope it helps.
    Keep it up mate wink.gif
    doorqf5.th.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atm its aimed at a amx render, usng techniques that i know work in games, ill probably get it running with works engine, buti wont be able to publish that so im not sure yet, i really wanted to be able to just export it out from maya/max, rather than rebuild it in bsp,

anyway yeah i forgot to say that all the doors and arches are built with a ring of polys round them to enable some material blends around them later on, greasd up finger patches, water damage and the like

also will be filled up with hanging lanterns, pot plants etc, also decided to add an interior window above the doors on the lower level.