Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Ryanimo - Untitled

Another first poster. OK...Here's a quick sketch of an idea. This is a little too busy, but basically its a dude with a infant/fetus skeleton attached to his arm that is the source of his powers. When activated it just pulls him around and he hangs lifeless. Might end up going in another direction, but just wanted to flesh this out a bit.

idea1.jpg

Replies

• Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New concept above
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    now thats a damn cool idea! creepy as hell smile.gif
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Tubuloso
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I guess I'll just go with a little devilish kind of guy.

dw1.jpg

And he's either going to be a fire/lava or darkness/void invoker (at least if I continue on this path...)
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A close up on potential devilish guy.

bonescopy-1.jpg

Any C&C appreciated! Thanks peeps.
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update above...
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Tubuloso, I have to say that I find this concept to be one of the more interesting ideas for the contest. Kinda turns the whole knightly badass thing on its head.
    I just have a couple of things to suggest: First, you have the effect of the dangling down for the body, but its not working for the arm. I definitely think you can do more with it. I would either straighten it out, or shift the position in which your little devil dude rests in the hand. I mean, if that guy's been hanging from his harm for a while, it would probably be grotesquely dislocated and broken, which could look cool.
    I also feel that having the devil bound to the hand diminishes how truly powerful it is, despite the size. What if the hand was actually broken and distorted into a kind of throne that the devil rested on, with a hand as a chair and the rest of the arm imploded around it. Or something.
    Keep it up man, you've got some cool ideas.
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! I agree with you about the arm. Right now, it looks like the muscles in his arm/shoulder are doing too much of the work, and I do want the guy to look pretty much lifeless, so I'm thinking it will end up straightened out. As far as your other suggestion of a hand/throne--that could be damn cool, but I'm concerned that would make the devil guy look like he's alive. That might be OK, too, but it my head I was picturing him as more of the artifact/tool than a character.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    If that's the case tho, is there any *alive* component to this dude? As in whats controlling it? Or is it like a sentient artifact type thing? Just wondering. You definitely have a cool idea tho.
  • laTarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laTarm polycounter lvl 9
    nice concept. Love the other hand that sticks up over the shield. The undead will walk the dominance...
  • jlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is such a badass idea for a character.

i totally agree with wake about the arm. it definitely needs to be pulled and worn out of its socket. and i wouldn't really stop there. try thinking about what else would happen to the legs. if this thing is floating around, but mainly in the demon's control, then he's not going to know/care/realize if he bangs his feet or shins on the ground or rocks or whatever. i would really put some heavy wear and tear on his dogs... maybe even almost to the point of stubs.

keep up the awesome work.
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Doin' nice thus far, can't say much that hasn't been said. I'd say the relationship between the fetus skeleton (skelefetus?) and the arm could stand to be reworked. Right now it looks like he's gripping that sucker, which makes it more look like he's just holding onto it and walking funny. Set the hand so it appears more like he's being forced into it or just barely attached. Speaking of which, I'd also say you could explore different means of attaching the one to the other. The straps make it look a bit 'taped' on. Chains? Thorny vines? Hell, it could be crawling out of his skin, the two gradually melding with time, or the knight's fingers could be intwined in skelefetus' ribcage. Just a few ideas.

Don't mean to talk too much. Interesting, original idea, love to see more of it.
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I was thinking perhaps the little guy would emanate a magical force, which I was going to have shooting out of the skull, and maybe also visibly holding up protective swords around the hanging guy. So I guess in a sense he's alive, but just as a protective spirit. Something kind of like this...

magicIdeas.jpg

I just like the idea of a character appearing so vulnerable. I'm seeing alot of super powerful looking beefy dudes and ladies (and all the aliens in between), so I think it's a nice contrast and sort of leaves a little room for interpretation. The swords also make for a more interesting silhouette. Oh, and I agree about finding a more interesting method of attachment; I'm just trying to iron out the larger kinks in the general idea right now.
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I guess it actually is a good idea to make sure that part of this charcter looks alive, so I mixed things up a bit. I also made the little guy live inside of the hand.

newGuy.jpg

Again, C&C is gratly appreciated!
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I guess I'm diving in...

littleGuyMB.jpg
  • Tubuloso
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea.
    Very nifty. Takes the imposing figure of a dark knight and kind of messes with it.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Oh good lord Tubuloso, the things you've done in my absence! I'm floored by your new concept-- the little guy in a skin blanket is beyond creepy. I also think your take on the demon is unique too; pretty much everyone goes for snarling bamf with huge jaws and slanted angry eyes. At this point I don't really have much critique to offer, only encouragement. Just make sure you keep those crazy eyes from the sketch. Awesome man, looking forward to your next update.
  • Tubuloso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've decided to switch gears a bit with the main character. I'm going with less knight and more apocalyptic creepy weirdo. I'm thinking he might not be completely lifeless, either. That way I can acutally have him holding his weapon, which I'm thinking will be based off the aztec macuahuitl. (Just saw Apocalypto...I know, they're Mayan, but the weapon was in there!) He will probably still have zombie-ish posture, with buckled knees and tilted head. I'm leaving the little guy alone for now, thinking about shortening his horns. He's not in this new concept, but he's still planned.

mainGuy1.jpg

Oh, and everything from the knees down I don't like here, so they're getting redesigned.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Not to poopoo your new idea Tubuloso, but I think your first one was a stronger, more original concept. Mr. macuahuitl does have potential, I just think that with a little more work the little demon could really pop as a concept, like exploding the head and using it as a throne instead of the hand, or something... Up to you obviously, I'm just trying to give some feedback. Whichever way to go, keep pounding away as time's starting to run out ooo.gif