Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - corrosion - untitled

KARI

One of the few remaining members of the Polycount tribe... Her people had long kept the power of the phantom urns a secret, and they remained a peaceful agricultural society. But as the machines ravage the planet, the phantom urns need to be called into battle once again.

Type: Invoker
Power: Air/Electricity

KARI_BEA.jpg
KARI_WIN.jpg
KARI_CON.jpg
KARI_TEX.jpg
KARI_EPT.jpg

Replies

• clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome aboard comrade. good luck to you too man.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Name: Kari
    Magic: Nerve Phantom (electric/air; the term 'nerve' comes from the fact that the magical equipment connects directly to energy points in the user's body - linking to the electric impulses of the nerves)
    Class: Invoker
    Tribe: Polycount

domwar_wip_01_corrosion.gif

2d is sort of giving me a hard time! i might actually do a rough 3d 'zbrush sketch' to figure out where i'm going in some of my ideas....

anyway

here's a very rough sketch of what i'm thinking about... the shapes and design on the suit are not fleshed out yet; i'm just exploring the character's feel...

the phantom is supposed to be 'housed' within the container she carries - the phantom can 'travel' thru parts of her armor which in turn provides information that the phantom can use to manipulate it's limbs to create weapon-like appendages she can use.

note the polycount logo on her chest. note that it might not be the final placement... wink.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Umm, I don't see Greentooth on her chest anywhere...
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slightly above her chest... under her neck to be precise... is it supposed to be huge? as i said before... not final placement. greentooth.. is he a vegetarian?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Nay, he's a mutant vegetable that craves flesh!
    Would be great to see u pull off an ethereal creature like that.
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kool start man. Be kool if you can show the whole figure. my crit so far is that the gear looks a bit mechanical.. but cant wait till you finish the final concept.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree clee101, i'm just unsuccesful at representing what's actually on my mind, which is a gear that has a more baroque ornamental feel to it. therefore that's why i'm going to make a quick and dirty zbrush sketch cause i'm actually faster and better at nailing my ideas down in 3d at this point... didnt read anywhere that 3d-sketching wasn't allowed.. smile.gif
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    3d sketching is fine but you do have to have a concept sheet in your final submission which i'm pretty sure has to be 2d...
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Construction Shot reqs: "Any preliminary sketches, concepts, paintings, or photo references that helped you create your 3d character can be shown on this single sheet."

yeah... you're right.. but what I plan to do with my 3d sketch is just to flesh out the shapes... (no fancy detail or anything) and then I'll paint over it... at the end it'll be basically a painting that used a rough 3d model as a base... once i'm done with that I'll do a clean, better model with my final concept in mind (the rough one I wont even care about topology or anything) i'll post my progress as i go... any other comments much welcome....
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first time i sketch something out in z... made this quick spline and extruded it. The only thing i tweaked was the bottom leg to make it face forward.
    domwar_wip_02_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think that this worked out pretty well! still needs more work for the paint over... check out the low poly version its pretty hilarious!
    domwar_wip_04_corrosion.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty kool man. Hey, why dont you start using subtools for the armor and stuff? Keep at it.
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    You guys who are already modeling.. make me feel behind!!
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the reply!
    clee: it might be too soon to do that, but it's certainly in mind!
    3dLam: it's sort of a throw away model; the topology is stretched all over the place... i dont know when i'll start the 'real model :P soon hopefully!
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP - concept almost done!
    domwar_wip_05_corrosion.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kool man. I think it be kool to have a strap across her chest armor to her thigh armor to break up the shapes more. Something different to give more contrast.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moving on... I'm pretty satisfied with this concept. I think that'll be enough for me to start modelling with a clear idea. I ended up trying to stay away from the idea that the 'phantom' companion is animal-like. I am leaning more towards making it somewhat amorphous - only slightly hinting at a familiar shape. We'll see how it goes.
    domwar_wip_06_corrosion.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you said you are done with the concept, I think your armor is a bit too symetrical and not enough variations at the moment. I tought you would have added alot more elements to it other than a medival looking silver armor all over. I would try varying it a bit like maybe getting rid of those upper armor parts that look very much the same as the forearm ones and instead going with a different shape shoulderpad gear. I would also think about the feet. Right now they look normal and not interesting. Also as I have mentioned before about the mid-section. I would add some sort of strap that crosses between them to break up the repetition and link the armor parts togther. Think about details like how the armor parts are strapped on. Anyways, I look forward to your progression. Keep at it!
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    domwar_wip_07_corrosion.gif

I'm starting with the head... it gives me a sense of what to do with the rest of the model... The base model was a really low poly shape with turbosmooth.

keeping on... here's my base model. I'm going to start adding elements of the armor but I'll keep most of the joint structure.

domwar_wip_08_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm finally feeling like my low poly mesh is solid... but it still has a lot of holes and problems that I'd rather not think about at the moment... The crits for this model could be endless, but I gotta get moving and get this thing into zbrush!! I have been having a hard time modeling the hair, and I'm debating if I'll have her free flowing hair or a battle helmet/mask of some sort. I'm leaning towards the battle helmet, since it could potentially look really badass!!!

comments and crits welcome...
    domwar_wip_09_corrosion.gif

EDIT: anyway, after much thought, I think I want to keep the hair. that will be the ideal... but for now I'm taking a break from that part and foucusing on getting the most solid hairless model into zbrush....
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to work out your porportions better before u take it into zbrush. Her upper body seems too bulky and elongated compared to the rest. She doesnt seem to have much volume in her hips.. but hurry, get it into zbrush and go go go!
  • Khunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head and upper torso are on the large side...needs more feminine ques. also i think investigating the above comments on the armor need to be addressed before you do a lot of work. plan out..then roll out.
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the crit. I agree 100%, the torso is a little weird and long. Not a hard fix, and I'm looking into it. And YES, she also needs to look much more girly - she is kinda genderless at the moment. But just give me some time, I have very little patience modelling in 3d max at this point, moving verts kills me! So a lot of that I plan to address directly in zbrush (since I can 'model/sculpt' so much freely!).
    This is my current plan of attack, and I feel confident it will work out ok:

I broke my model in pieces, brought into zbrush as subtool, I even downloaded the new plugin, Subtool master. It has some nifty features! At the moment I'm working 100% symmetrically - but I plan on doing something different for the left arm and adding other things that will break the symmetry; now, if time doesnt allow, I will at least finish a symmetrical looking model. At this point, 'blue-sky' features will be addressed once I get to a good place with the model in general. So here's a little preview of how things are going to look pretty soon. Thanks again for your comments.

domwar_wip_11_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I crashed zbrush and lost some work I had done finessing the chest armor! Bummer! at least there's progress done and its becoming clearer what this will look like. at least I got rid of her android looking face for the moment...
    at this point is not so clear what the armor is made up of, but I want to get the basic shapes done. Later on I will come back and finesse the edges and such, to make it look more carved and stone-like. (cause its made up of some kind of super hard stone.)

domwar_wip_12_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still zbrushing... I gotta hurry, but I'm confident I can make it! (not whimsically confident - I do know it's going to be tough!) 12 days left!!!! YIKES!!! shocked.gif
    domwar_wip_13_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest And Greatest:

my hands hurt :) ... but things are looking good. Yet the time is so tight for me... As long as I input at least a solid, good 3-4 hours a night this week (after work of course) everything will be cool. I'm posting the torso area and the legs - both of which I'm done zbrushing!!!! I won't put the whole thing together until everything is done... and I hope my computer can handle that too. I think that the whole model put together will be around 13-15 million polys or more, so I don't know if my PC will be able to handle all of it together at once. Tough days ahead, but I'm not giving up!!!!!! Geronimooooo!

small note: the torso still seems a bit long, but that will be a quick fix once the LowPoly mesh is all attached together... too clunky a fix to do in zbrush with this amount of time left...

wish me luck if you'd like to see this piece finished :)

domwar_wip_15_corrosion.gifdomwar_wip_15b_corrosion.gif
    domwar_wip_16_corrosion.gifdomwar_wip_16b_corrosion.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the middle boddy part looks good..

but the rest is very blobby.. maybe try some other material.. the red wax thing is over"blobbing" everthing ;)

so maybe its better after its baked

and the big scratch in the middle of the breasts looks too unrealistic.. it looks like a screatch into wax and not into the body-armor

but the middle part looks realy promising
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin - i see where you're going. yeah, the red cap might have something to do with it. or maybe i'm still not skilled enough to create believable lookin stone carved armor! :) so let's take a look at this:
    domwar_wip_17_corrosion.gif
    I used a zbrush material that resembles what I want to use for the actual material of my final piece - I will use a real-time Unreal shader for it (hopefully). hmmm I guess The middle part seems the most realistic since it has cloth and leather elements that we are all familiar with... I hope it doesn't attract too much attention since it's just under-garment... Anyway, much thanks for the crit !!
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    You've got some interesting things going on Corrosion, but I agree with rollin in that the gouges on the breast plate aren't working. You're overall wear and tear isn't bad-- the overall smoothing that you've got going on definitely lends the armor a sense of age. However, your gouges are in illogical places. Look up some ancient sculptures of any sort-- what's broken and what's not? Your chipping and most extreme cases of breakage are going to come predominantly in locations that are exposed and pull away from the frame. Just look at the Sphinx or any statue from antiquity that's seen better days.

As for the gouge between the breasts, it just doesn't make sense. In order to create a mark like that on stone, you'd need a really strong slashing hit. However, the breasts lie on both ends of the mark and yet aren't marred themselves. The only way you'd get chipping in a recessed location like that is from a piercing hit, and that would cause more of a round mark. Anyway, you get the point.

Lastly, I dug around and found a website that hopefully might help you out: http://www.motive-art.org/artists-area/current-artists/blake

This guy is a sculptor who, to create awareness about and raise money for victims of explosives, blew up statues using various landmines and antipersonnel mines. I've included a few samples of his work.

Anyway, I hope this helps out. You've got some sweet stuff, and not much further to go.

hornet-m93-for-web-8.jpgputkimiina-m-68-for-web-1.jpgbutterfly-pfm-1.jpg
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YO YO YO

hey Wake..
    dude, thanx for looking that up! rock blown apart by anti personnel mines is exactly the reference I needed, since that damage is supposed to be cause by battle with machines....

That actual first 'slash' at the breast plate was actually my very first try... I did over-do it huh..
    My idea is that the armor has been damaged, not really chipped away from old age. So I figured her enemies sort of cracked the armor in the right places and 'chunks' fell apart? obviously I don't know the exact physics behind this event, and it shows.

Do you think that some of the other gouges; like the ones on the legs, are better? I feel that as I move along I keep figuring out better ways to do, and the first tries are usually not the best ones.

Obviously with this new excellent reference I got no excuses!!!

Time is my enemy but I will definetely re-do the damages done to the breast plate and research the sculptures from the links you sent me (shouldn't be a biggie since I have my 'pretty and brand new' version and doing the damage is actually not that time-consuming). I'll do my best!
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update!
    Arms...
    domwar_wip_18_corrosion.gif
    Her artifact... the phantom will flow through it and connect to her arm's armor... more of that yet to come!
    domwar_wip_19_corrosion.gif
    It's kinda unfortunate (in a weird way) that I keep flowing better and better... I might have to go back and tweak some of the other armor elements to keep the eye interested in everything as a whole and not just certain better looking areas... Still, I do want to keep the shapes on her armor simple and elegant, and not load it with detail...

The next update should be an improved face, hair, and damage on the artifact as well as whatever tweaks need to be done to the rest of her armor. After that, it'll be time to unwrap and bake!!!!

crits welcome!

haha the time on my post says 10:22 am?? it's actually 3:23 AM! time to get some sleep! :)
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm officially 99.9% done zbrushing... all that's needed left is a bit of scar action on her face and some damage on the urn... that shouldn't take long and it's scheduled for tomorrow...err.. tonight !

The hair is not the prettiest hair you've ever seen but I just wanted to throw shape there since most likely the fine strands will come out through the texture itself... (besides.. time... )

I did re-do damage on the armor based on people's recommendation and also added a bit more sharpness to it's overall pattern. At this point further improvs on that end will have to wait until after the competition... NOT to say that this is perfect... it has been a humbling learning experience for me... and shouldn't end here.

Face:

domwar_wip_20_corrosion.gif

Armor update:

domwar_wip_21_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update...
    zbrush done, and normal map baked...

Next steps:

-Weld all the subtools together and then tweak some of the proportion/anatomical issues still present.

-VERY IMPORTANT: Create body for the phantom... Some may wonder why there's not an update on that yet, well it's not even started! But I have a pretty good idea of what it'll be like and why it won't be much of a problem with so little time left (hint: it's mostly a texture job).

-Create diffuse, color maps...

-UE3 Shader research to create volcanic rock-like material for her armor and ethereal like energy for the phantom.

-Pedestal, renders...

-SLEEEEEEP!!!!!!!

domwar_wip_22_corrosion.gif
    domwar_wip_24_corrosion.gif
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KARI

One of the few remaining members of the Polycount tribe... Her people had long kept the power of the phantom urns a secret, and they remained a peaceful agricultural society. But as the machines ravage the planet, the phantom urns need to be called into battle once again.

Type: Invoker
    Power: Air/Electricity

KARI_BEA.jpg
    KARI_WIN.jpg
    KARI_CON.jpg
    KARI_TEX.jpg
    KARI_EPT.jpg

personal post mortem:

-The biggest problem with my entry aside from the obvious visual ones, was the fact that I didn't manage my time properly. Having finished uploading my last image 20 minutes before the deadline (7:40pm California time) was not a very good thing!! I overlooked how important it is to be able to play with your 'final'... Doing renders, changing colors, etc. This time, as I made something, I had to move on to the next thing without really playing with it or fixing anything that came up.

-Things that were not done properly due to time: Stiff pose, (still) odd anatomical problems, hair is only one color (how did I miss this one!), rendering is 'meh', and countless more. I expect people to have even more crits but it's just there are so many things I couldn't spend time polishing at the end. Again, bad time usage... I think I spent too much time fooling around at the beginning, with no clear plan.

Anyway, I hope that the concept itself is original enough and that at least it has pleasing visual impact. After all, this is all meant to be enjoyed! :)
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it's very easy to underestimate lighting, posing and fixing and leave them 'til the last moment. Nevertheless, you've finished a Dominance War, which is admirable in its own right. Congratulations on the good work!
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man congrats on finishing! I know you are still gonna go in and need to fix alot of things on your model. But still, congrats for making it into the finishline!
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Congrats to finishing, just be glad for this competition to have pushed you to get this far, and now you can finish in your own time for your own benefit, and all in all you learn from the experience!