Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project wip asset pieces.

Alright, Im finally gettin time to work more on my 3D stuff, so I decided itd be a good idea to work on some props. What originally was going to be a detectives office if going to be a sort of south western Old gas station line of fictional products (a scene will be soon to follow). Unfortunatly, Im not sure how high in terms of poly count I wanna aim with this general project, so Im starting kinda low.

Heres a WIP of some Cigs, Cigs box, and a quartz ashtray (still looking for some good reference of the quartz ashtray, Im goin to a flee market tommorrow). The box and tray are both 512x512's (Im sure I could go lower once I figuer out how low or high poly I want the end project to be) and the cigs are a 256x256 textures). Ill post the texture maps in a bit.

screencap1.jpg
screencap2.jpg

Im honestly not sure what kind of project would be more attractive in a portfolio (to the game industry at large) for an environment possition) so suggestions for a high or lowpoly environment would be appriciated.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    id say do little things right, the temptation to get too ambitious is always threre but its much better to get some good small environments done than big epic crap.
    decide on something small then think of an interesting twist so that its not just another environment, for example, your props here are way too heavy on the polys\textures for even a FPS but they would make an interesting micro environment, say something like micromachines, where the top of a desk is the environment.

• Shufly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I like the micro machine idea (considering I still got that on my NES =)). Hmm, I always heard doing abstract ideas like that are a good idea, its just comming up with it has been a big difficulty (I'm good at deciding machines or aspects of characters and vehicles are kinda my design forte, not scenes and settings unfortunately).

Should I make some concept art or ask someone for an idea? I've been in a bad art slump for the past 2 weeks.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    maybe just think about take a starting point and think it through, like why would you have an up-close view of cigs, what character would interact with these, and what environment would that be in,.....
  • Shufly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, thanks a lot man, now I cant stop thinkin about micro machines =P. Lets see, a reason for a closeup... hmmm
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I've actually got a great idea for the pack of cigarettes. Instead of making them look perfectly box shape, i would crumple the lid or base of the pack up alittle...maybe crunch the tip of a cigarette or two up abit. just to give it a more aesthetically pleasing look, gives us something to look at other than a perfectly square pack of cigs.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i don't think he's sugesting think of a reason for why the cigarettes are so detailed now that the are modeled.. but more think before you model. before you model think of what you are modeling. if you just wanted to practice modeling and these were not being made for any type of game reason then do whatever you want. but if you are practicing because you want to learn to make games, then think of what kinda games you want to work on, and model props that fit with that. if confused just open up a game you like and look around.
  • Shufly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, well, I guess I didn't think about what I wanted to make out of this in the beginning. Ill work on adding some creases and crumples into the area (what method would be best for going about to create crumples on objects like this, simply cutting faces and moving geometry and updating the UV afterwards?)