Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Said and Omar

Here's two characters that I've been working on for 5 weeks or so. They are for an in-school project. The game takes place in a small village in Morocco. Basically both of these characters have died in some sort of fire and woke up possessed ready to chase down the main character. My first two full character sculpts in zbrush. Comments and critiques greatly appreciated.

Said
said_headturnaround.jpg
said_bodyturnaround.jpg

Omar
omar_headturnaround.jpg
omar_bodyturnaround.jpg

P.S.
Thanks to ralf stumpf for the shader

Now on to Dominance War!!

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Good start. The body proportions seem a bit off. The arms are too short from the looks of it... that or the torso is too long. Also, their clothes are pretty clean for being so badly burned; Unless these are zombies that know how to change their cloths wink.gif
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    if its a child, the proportions fit, i mean the child, the arms of the 2md guy are really to short^^
  • Paul_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the detail on the heads, but the clothes look so baggy they're going to drop off. Also, they make the characters look fatter than their heads imply.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    lol @ school project...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    One minor note from my end... both look dramatically Caucasian, and I wouldn't expect such a Northern European look from Morocco...
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    The second guy looks like the dead dude from weekend at bernei's.
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    Like notman said, why aren't their clothes affected?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    There are other things I'm noticing too. If they were that badly burned to disfigure themselves, and even on the one guy to crush part of his skull in, why is only their skin burned? They both still have full heads of hair, their clothing is unaffected, and the glasses on the one guy with the crushed head are in pristine condition.

That and your first guy has an ass that seems pretty disproportionate to his build. Otherwise, I really like the detailing on the faces.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    I was just gonna mention the hair myself. Should be affected.

I chected google images for reference and there's a lot *eg "Burn Victims" or "Burned Face"

Some disturbing images in there...

Overall with the burnt areas, you might want to vary the density of the burn, some areas would be very pussy, and swollen out, kind of like an overgrown blister. It would be much smoother than the surrounding skin.

Interesting idea, but in actually commerce, I don't think a producer would touch that with a ten foot pole... You'd get people yammering about it being exploitive or something. Burns are possibly the most horrible looking injuries possible.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    some areas would be very pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to derail the thread but for whatever reason I started laughing a lot when I read that. Not exactly sure how you would spell that. The word is pus so maybe pussie..I dunno. Anyway I agree with what he is saying, funny words aside.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    *meh* No reason to change the word because of those sensibilities. If it's covered in blood, it's bloody. The basic idea is for difference in the burn injury density. Although at the edges this is already done very well.
  • Swisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques guys. Hearing from everyone's opinions, I am going to redo the clothing. I totally agree that they are inflated off of the body and not revealing the form underneath. Most of that came from me forgetting that all the brush strokes in zbrush push outward and I must go back in and fix proportions. I was going to leave most of the burn damage on the clothes to texture, but when it comes down to it I would need to be an excellent texture artist to pull it off correctly. I am also going to rethink some elements of the heads. You guys are right if there is an area affected by a burn so badly the adjacent areas should be affected and not kept clean. Oh the sunglasses were kept pristine as a joke between us on the project. Pretty much the glasses flew off when he died but were kept unharmed. So that, in essence, Omar the undead possessed man can have his stunner shades on. I'll probably put some scratches or a missing lens on them now. Thanks again for all your critiques and I look forward to posting updates.