Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guile and my first stab at wax

seantree
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
seantree polycounter lvl 18
50f91pz8.jpg
He could use some more work but I had to call it. I used sculpey softener on my clay and it broke my hands out so bad I could not use it any longer. So there went a pound of it down the tubes. My latest is this. Sculpted from Castilene.
kside2ug4.jpg
kfrodi4.jpg
It's coming along slowly. I do not have a wax pen yet so this is all done by heating it up in a crock pot and throwin down the forms then heating my tools with a lighter. lol, makeshift FTW. Anyway, that piece is going to be Akuma with his Gi top down. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Whats wax like to work with? Sounds like it might be rather more cumbersome than Sculpey.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking it so far. no real need for an armature and it locks in detail instantly. I'm sure it goes a bit smoother with proper tools like a wax pen etc... My next piece will be sculpted from sculpey firm just to give it a try. But I ordered more wax from willowproducts so I think wax may be my medium of choice atm.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh. thanks for this info. I wanted to sculpt miniatures years ago, but sculpey seemed to really really need an armature, and I had no clue how I was going to cast them. (I obviously didn't pursue it much) This solves all that.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NP, I'd go for willowproducts stuff before Castilene. The new castilene formula is supposed to be terrible and I've heard nothing but good stuff from those who use the Willow 360 wax. Be sure to post up some mini's. I always love seeing the detail people get into those.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    When I've been working with wax, I've found a hair dryer on its hottest setting to be the best thing for softening it. No need to heat the tools and it's a bit safer than a lighter. Looking nice! Post more updates smile.gif
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k4rh1.jpg
    k1sp9.jpg
    k2jh5.jpg
    k3ms1.jpg

I'm gettin there slowly but surely. Oh and I'll throw up better pics/ front shots as soon as he stays together on his own. I gotta prop him up and hope he doesn't fall while shooting him atm :/ He has no shoulders atm because I want to finalize the chest area before I do anything permanent with the arms. thanks for looking