Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 PSP spec props

AllpropsPresentationSheetcopy.jpg

For the folio and for donation to a good cause.
Thanks for all the crits, I've updated them all, like to hear what you think and what I could improve.

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    These are closer to DS prop specs. PSP can render more polys. At least that's what I'd guess.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nah theyre psp DS wouldnt have the handles on the cupboard duh =P
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    At 36 tris, You could easily afford those handles in most situations on DS. I'd agree with Jeffro. you could spend plenty more polys if you're pitching for PSP. Granted most of the models don't need it, but it wouldn't hurt to make the pill bottle 5-sided and give the med cupboard opening doors and an inside.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think it's mostly DS specs then, I'm not too familiar with the exact limitations, but I figured very low poly and tiny textures and keeping in mind tiny screen would do.
    Update: Cabinet got an inside and doors + new ammo box

AllpropsPresentationSheetcopy-1.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    These are fine for PSP really. Most PSP games that push the poly limit usualy end up being quite slow. I'd rather have a game looking like this thats smooth, over a game slightly more detailed thats slow laugh.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well all the PSP games I've worked on run smooth and I don't recall things being this low.

But, it really depends on the view that these would be seen from. For like Gauntlet type camera these are great. For 1st/3rd person they are probably a bit low. That's what I'm assuming it'd be since it said TF2 in the post.

Aside from which platform these should be on the props are pretty well done for low res specs. Good use of the texture limits as well. Maybe double the poly limit/texture count next time though for PSP. Good low poly work.

Off the subject, Arsh made an amazing low poly SUV. Get him to post that. One of the best uses of low res texture jobs I've ever seen.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    even so, you wouldn't get this level of detail on ds, considering all the other shit thats going on.

6 and 8 sided polygons?
  • LLamaStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see a lot of 5+ sided faces. You'll need to divide them in to quads or tris.

Also, one thing with the PSP is that lighting is baked into the model. If there aren't enough polys then then it will light like shit.

I would suggest added more polys. The health bottle needs to be rounder. The chest needs to have some edges in there to really give it some pop.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the cupboards inside the cabinet could be simple planes smile.gif looking slick man !
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crap sometimes the lack of seriousness in my tone dosnt translate into type. they look sweet as is, the art is good, dont let the specs get in the way, unless theyre actually going in game
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    *imagines sheperdo sitting infront of is screen, laughing his ass of while writing crap* lolol

i want a tf2 psp prop coolness tread! like "release the heads"
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Also, one thing with the PSP is that lighting is baked into the model. If there aren't enough polys then then it will light like shit.

I would suggest added more polys. The health bottle needs to be rounder. The chest needs to have some edges in there to really give it some pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be the use of turning an n-gon into quads if a mesh gets tesselated to tris for/by the export anyway? I agree that it's a good idea to tesselate first and maybe turn some edges, especially for organic models, but what's your reasoning behind what you say?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like MightyPea said, why do they need to do that? Their not being animated, so no unpredictability their. They wont be sub divided, so no pinching. Even if it's just to optimize the model more I don't think their's any need to be concerned with that on models already this low poly. The export should auto-tri them too. I try to keep everything quaded or tri-d as much as anyone else, but I just can't see any real need for it in this case.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    While we're disagreeing with signore Llama,
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If you can't afford the polys to get a neat baked light, you need to vertex light be hand. Its a slow and arduous task, but it's always worth the effort.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, ditto what Jack says. I usually end up doing a 3 point lighting scheme and then altering the vert colors by hand. Takes a while but you get good results in the end.
  • LLamaStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the engine I work with doesn't render 5+ sided polys. So it will look like a hole is in your mesh. Also, at my company it's general looked at as a dirty mesh if it's not quads or tris.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in my experience the DS rendered in tris and quads so splitting an 8 sided shape up into 3 quads was much better than letting the converter do it, in my experience letting a machine make decisions like this never gives you optimal meshes, that said it would be very little difference in this case.

doh were talking PSP sorry addled first submission brain is up the spout again.

so does psp have no form of RTL?
  • LLamaStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they purposefully removed it so that the artist could make the most optimal mesh. I'm going to assume it was a memory thing.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    Johny: The boards are made with two planes, like this ----|

I guess I'm with mightypea on this tri-issue, that I don't see a particular use in this case to triangulate.

New one, teleporter, with triangulations for you nitpicks wink.gif
    tf2pspspecpropsteleporter.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add a quad for the glowy effect!

I'm liking these, by the way. It's refreshing to see so many lowpoly items being made, and in one consistent style no less! If tf2 wasn't already cool on its own, then at least it would've had the redeeming quality of inspiring so many people to copy it so wonderfully in lowpoly form laugh.gif
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mighty! That really made my day. Made that ring but got some strange unwanted alpha probs. I marked some parts where it isnt supposed to be transparant but does show up like that, using mirrored mapping btw. Any ideas?
    strangeartifacts.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be due to filtering, I suppose. It looks like you have texture filtering off though. Check your material settings to see if the opacity doesn't have a special setting to filter it or something.
    What software are you using?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Your UVs are probably bleeding outside of your pixels. Just adjust the UVs and you'll be fine.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I double checked all settings, have filtering set to none everywhere, I'm using max 9.
    SouL, the problem seems to move when I move the uvs. I noticed it is all on the uv 0-1 border, whatever is there has a transparant line, nomatter what I place there and what's in the alpha (even perfect white alpha).

artifacts.png
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I've always had this problem with alpha'd stuff in Max. It shows up like that in the viewport, but upon render or in-game, it's fine. AFAIK, there's no way to fix it. Someone please prove me wrong.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Well... for the sake of having them render properly in max... just put all the UVs inside the 0,1 border.

That is weird, though.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    all my alpha'd things in viewport end up with wierd border issues as well. Everything works fine in game, but max's viewport has problems.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figure it's a bug in max then if you guys get the same results. When I render it stops my alpha from working though. SouL how would I go about putting those in the 0-1 region while still having tiling and mirroring?
    MOAR!
    tf2pspspecpropssentrygun.png
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You try using map settings to tile/mirror the texture?
    max_mirror_maps.jpg
  • StJoris
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    i have the same issue with maya. or i mean issue like this...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=606978

maya has a problem where ALL uvs bleed during render, i can not fix it unless i render playblasts (from the viewports) so i dont get transperant gifs :(

once i go software (or even maya hardware) the uvs bleed 0.5 pixel distances, so all uv borders (not just the edges around 0,1) this .5 pixel of bleeding is worse when dealing with small renders, since this image is a resize the single line of bleeding in texture is less noticeable.
    wall_uvw.jpg

also the ghosting issues really steams my eggs!, i cannot get the pre-mulitply, (or multiply w/e) settings to render proper pixel edges without altering the color values, the iff's come in great, but once optimization outputs are done in ImageReady,,, it gets ghosting :(
    tank7bcopy.jpg

i dont know how some of you on this forum can have such clean gifs with transparency , i have wasted so much time trying to get the process right.
    anyhelp much appreciated.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Quick fix is to render out the gif using the same BG colour as whatever forum you're posting on. Just find the RGB value of pcount's forum background and set it as your background colour in whatever 3d app.

Ie: I used the one on my left for my website, and the one on the right for (old) polycount's respective colour schemes.
    Edit: St. Joris' example below trumps mine. : ) Ask him.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid I think you are talking about another problem but I guess yours is solved now. Mine seems to be solved too, at least, when I render that is.
    Thanks for reviving this thread too! I let it slack off waaay too far.

Back from archi-crunch into the realm of pretty polys. Uly, that is very pretty, you make my models look like crap haha.

The famous dispenser, and I tried an animated gif because of you guys showing.
    tf2pspspecpropsdispenser-1.png
    animatedgif-1.gif
    Crits greatly appreciated
  • KikiAlex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    //If you have problems with viewing objects with alfa maps, I made an fx file that you can use with //max so you can see color maps,alfa maps,vertex paint and vertex alfa without the seams.

//Just make a text file call it "something.fx" and paste this text in it then open it from max as a //Directx Shader.
    //
    //kiki_karon@yahoo.com
    //fx shader for 3d max diffuse,alfa,vertex_color,vertex_alfa
    //
    float4x4 wvp : WorldViewProjection < string UIWidget = "None"; >;

// input from application

texture diffuseTexture : DiffuseMap<
    string UIName = "Diffuse Texture";
    int Texcoord = 0;
    int MapChannel = 1;
    >;

texture alfaTexture : AlfaMap<
    string UIName = "Alfa Texture";
    int Texcoord = 3;
    int MapChannel = 1;
    >;

sampler DiffuseSampler = sampler_state
    {
    Texture = (diffuseTexture);
    MipFilter = LINEAR;
    MinFilter = LINEAR;
    MagFilter = LINEAR;
    };

sampler AlfaeSampler = sampler_state
    {
    Texture = (alfaTexture);
    MipFilter = LINEAR;
    MinFilter = LINEAR;
    MagFilter = LINEAR;
    };

int texcoord1 : Texcoord
    <
    int Texcoord = 1;
    int MapChannel = 0;
    string UIWidget = "None";
    >;

int texcoord2 : Texcoord
    <
    int Texcoord = 2;
    int MapChannel = -2;
    string UIWidget = "None";
    >;

bool vertex_color
    <
    string UIName = "Vertex Paint ?";
    > = true;

bool vertex_alfa
    <
    string UIName = "Vertex Alfa ?";
    > = true;

struct app2vertex
    {
    float4 position : POSITION;
    float3 vertex_paint : TEXCOORD1;
    float vertex_alfa : TEXCOORD2;
    float2 coordonate_diff : TEXCOORD0;
    float2 coordonate_alfa : TEXCOORD3;
    };

// output to pixel shader
    struct vertex2pixel
    {
    float4 position : POSITION;
    float2 coordonate_diff : TEXCOORD0;
    float2 coordonate_alfa : TEXCOORD2;
    float4 vertex_paint : TEXCOORD1;
    };

vertex2pixel vertex(app2vertex In)
    {
    vertex2pixel Out = (vertex2pixel)0;
    Out.position = mul(In.position, wvp);
    Out.vertex_paint = float4(In.vertex_paint,In.vertex_alfa);
    Out.coordonate_diff = In.coordonate_diff;
    Out.coordonate_alfa = In.coordonate_alfa;
    return Out;
    }

float4 pixel(vertex2pixel In) : COLOR
    {
    float3 int_col = tex2D(DiffuseSampler,In.coordonate_diff);
    float4 col = float4(int_col,1);
    float alfa_col = tex2D(AlfaeSampler,In.coordonate_alfa);
    if (vertex_color)
    col *= In.vertex_paint;
    col.a = (In.vertex_paint.a * alfa_col);
    if (vertex_alfa)
    return col;
    else
    return float4(col.xyz,alfa_col);
    }

technique Backface_Cull_enabled
    {
    pass simple
    {
    VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 vertex();
    ZEnable = true;
    ZWriteEnable = true;
    CullMode = cw;
    AlphaBlendEnable = TRUE;
    DestBlend = InvSrcAlpha;
    SrcBlend = SrcAlpha;
    PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 pixel();
    }

}

technique Backface_Cull_disabled
    {
    pass simple
    {
    VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 vertex();
    ZEnable = true;
    ZWriteEnable = true;
    CullMode = none;
    AlphaBlendEnable = TRUE;
    DestBlend = InvSrcAlpha;
    SrcBlend = SrcAlpha;
    PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 pixel();
    }

}
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! It kind of works, but I use mirrored tiling and I can't figure out how to get it working with that. Would there be a way to make it work with .psd files? The diffuse works but alpha makes my model completely invisible with it(it does work with others like .tga)
  • KikiAlex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was intended to work with a file for the color map and a diffrent file for the alfa map (it ignores the alfa channel in the files,it uses just the RGB components),i don't know if the max hlsl parser can use psd files,in max 2008 this kind of files work.
  • KikiAlex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you want to use the alfa channel in the file
    change :
    float alfa_col = tex2D(AlfaeSampler,In.coordonate_alfa);
    with:
    float alfa_col = (tex2D(AlfaeSampler,In.coordonate_alfa)).a;
    in the pixel shader
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanna say I like these. Pretty soon you will have enough assets for a low poly TF2 map!
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    a homebrew TF2 DS project would be sweeeet!

Maybe you should send an email to gabe and see what he thinks!
    GabeN 'at' valvesoftware 'dot' com
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha one might never know, I'll hold out a little with mailing him though.

Going to make some more "buildings" and level "parts" and construct a map and tf2 mod with lowpoly assets, as now the project by indecom seems to have died.

Here's dustbowls SP building :)

jenkinsbuildinganimatedgif.gif

*edit: bandwith exceeded, everything is down!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Sorry guys, the project isnt really dead, my computer ended up crashing on me a long time ago, however, i have now fully rigged characters, and textures for them for either team, and edited the meshes to allow for speach since the mouths on the originals were decoration.

I love your progress man, and if you'd still like, i can continue with the project, with your blessing of course, you put a lot of work into these i can tell, it really shows.
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool looking building. Any chance for wires & texture sheet?
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This. Thread. Must. Never. Die. Ever.
    Keep it up! :D
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom! good to see you haven't been wiped from the earth

Thanks Per, hansedr and BrodyB but this is old stuff your looking at :P
    Got this some time ago @ WAYWO working together with spacey
    *this is slightly outdated too, I made the sand not tile as obvious
    dbupdatelr0.jpg
    sampleshot2pg5.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    lovely,- perhaps this might even run in Flash using a engine like Papervision, Sandy, Away3d or Alternativa
  • hansedr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome. What texture sheet sizes are these things?
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    looking very nice man! keep it up!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Wow that is absolutely brilliant, looks just like the originals man.

I'd kill if you were to release these, or worship you, whichever wont get me arrested!
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    some nice looking models there,
    i found on a another forum some one ripping nintendo ds models from the games,
    just to show what ds ones look like,
    here is the link,
    Chris
    http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=502382