Home Technical Talk

Need help with Import Export for Zbrush3.1 and Max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
I know this has been asked many times before and despite searching this site and others i am still looking for a suitable answer to getting my workflow from Zbrush 2/2.5 to Max 9 to work in order to create normal maps for my game characters.
Here is my workflow-
1.Build Basemesh in Max9 using Mostly Quads.
2.Export to Zbrush
3.Store Morph target and start sub dividing to create hi detail model for Normal Map (sometimes use plugin SmatDiv to retrain shape).
4.When complete i drop down to Sub Div Level 1 and Export back to Max.
5.In Max i then UV map my model and get my Texture Squares.I do UV mapping after as i find through zbrush i can get a better shape to my basemesh that will map better with the highest Sub div Level to create my Normal map.
6.Finally with Original Model in Zbrush i import new Model which replaces Sub Div Level 1.I then use Zmapper to create Normal map which i load in Max Material Editor (bump slot) to view in Max.

This wiorks fine for me and at no time do i add/remove polys/vertices or change point order.I go up and down the sub divs in Zbrush and all is fine.I can create decent looking normal maps this way.

I tried same workflow with Zbrush 3.1 and when i go to reimport the uv'ed model and go to create the normal map the model explodes and/or Zbrush 3.1 crashes.

Please can anyone who has experienced simlar please post a work around complete with steps and settings (especially import/export settings for Max and Zbrush).
I am reluctant to use zbrush 3 until i have this nailed as i dont want to waste hours/days/weeks on a character only to spend similar amounts of time trying to get it to work and the end result being that i have a hi detail model in zbrush 3.1 that cannot bre used.
I appreciate that this is not straight forward but i am bursting at the seams to dive into Zbrush 3 and start exploring the Nrew featues it has to other (such as Sub tools).
Any help,Advice,links warmly received.
Feel free to PM me if you can spend 5mins offering this valuable info.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Are you dead set on using Zmapper to generate your normal maps? I find it's less of a pain to just use Xnormal for that. Personally I won't go near Zmapper again, because of all the hoops you have to go through just for a bake.

3ds max generates some pretty high quality normals too, if you can get your sources meshes to load. Polycrunch or Meshlab does the trick, or bake the high poly piece by piece and composite later. Not the one-stop workflow you're used to though...
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exploding issue is quite popular over the pipeline between ZB and any of 3d apps AFAIK. Especially, with dealing with ZB 3.1 seems to be getting tougher to work around.
    I have a situation same as yours, and here are a couple things you may try as starter.
    (1) When you re-import UVed mesh from max to ZB (3.1), "switch (geometry)" (Tool > Morph Target >) which will replace newly imported mesh for old mesh (@ level 1). This requires your orginal mesh (@ level 1) has been 'store MT' before you import the new mesh.
    (2) In ZB(3.1), before you import UVed mesh, apply "reproject higher Subdiv" and do step (1). The reason I separated from (1) is it is not always necessary, but certain case (i.e. mesh contains tris) this solved the problem I had.

If you have done it with ZB 2.x, try with it. It is possible to have both version in same machine as I have. ZB 2.x is not anymore supported by pixologic though. I guess you need to contact element5 to retrive your license (which may be expired) in order to run it after installation.

Hope this let you keep going, and will be glad to hear back from you what's going on...

Good luck,

Rybeck
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Did you try the projection feature in Zmapper?
    Read this tutorial here:

http://www.zbrush.info/docs/index.php/ZMapper_Projection