Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Maquette- WIP *image heavy*

Replies

• merlyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would give you some crits, but I don't have any, this looks fantastic, I will definately research it for my Protoceratops. Great work.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you need to boost up the specular and the normal map.

lol. i had to.

joking aside. i think it looks amazing. good job.
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    this is bad ass. great work laurel, you're not only a great painter but also a very gifted sculptor
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Bad. Ass. I asked paul, but what is it you are being fed, Ms. Tully? I feel like you should keep up your diet. Probably is something badass like Boo Berries and beer? Clearly working for you. =O
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Incredible.

Have you thought of taking a mold of that and having it cast in bronze? (I don't know exactly how that's done, but seeing that dino in bronze would be hot.)

It's people like you that make people like me slit our wrists out of jealousy. Truly incomparable work. THE best maquette molds I've seen.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Sa7en: Glad you like it! Spent weeks on this thing laying the scales individually -- it was worth it for the end result, but I don't think I'll be doing another dinosaur for a while.

Stoofoo: I dunno, I've been eating a lot of jelly beans lately. Jelly beans and coffee... I think they're the secret ;)

Verybad: Thanks! I've actually did a bit of bronze casting in university -- it's a reeeeally complicated and time-consuming process. I suspect with how this guy is right now, attempting to make a reusable mold from him would be very difficult (given that he's all one piece and strengthened inside by 1/4" wire) and would probably break him if I tried to do it. When it comes to mold-making, you really have to keep it in mind during the whole sculpt. I suppose it could be done, but I'd have to pay knowledgable people a lot of money to do it :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question for ya, Tully: Did you use any skin pattern (or scale pattern) stamps in addition to just sculpting them in ? Also, what mineral spirits would you recommend for blending the sculpt ?
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Fantastic. I just recently bought a bunch of Sculpey and was wondering if you have any good resources to learn from? My plan was to just start working with it and see what came of it but it seems clear I need to plan where I would be trying to get to as far as a foundation and what not.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Cheez: Nope, no stamps. All hand-done one by one. I'd been informed by someone very knowledgable about this stuff that that's the only way to get the best results. It'd tend to agree with him, but damnit if it didn't drive me insane near the end!

I used a few methods: rolling tiny balls of sculpey and then flattening them on with my finger or a tool (this was mostly on his back, shoulders and head), "drawing" the scales onto the surface with a tool I made from a needle and an old pen (this was mostly on his legs and a bit on his sides), and for the plainer areas I had a paintbrush with a rounded end to its handle that I used to make small, shallow individual indentations (these are largely on his neck, feet and belly). Main thing is just to judge what sort of texture you want and do whatever it takes to get it. Change it up to keep it from getting too uniform, and thus boring.

For thinners, anything that will thin oil paint will be good to melt sculpey. The main thing is pretty much to choose whatever is least toxic and has the least smell so you don't get headaches or poison yourself. Many different things will do the job. Turpenoid works nicely and I hear lighter fluid does as well (though I've never used it). For this I just picked up some odourless mineral spirits at an art shop and it's been just fine.

Jbrophey: thanks :)This thread on conceptart.org taught me tons of great stuff. He covers just about everything one needs to know to get started -- everything else is pretty much just knowledge you have to gain yourself through practice.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet ! Thanks for the info, Tully. Phenomenal work, btw :) And that link was freakin killer. I picked up Smellybug's Massive Black DVD at the Revelations workshop in Seattle back in January. I would recommend that as well to others interested in maquette sculpting.