Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hammer Object

As practice I tried to make a hammer
hammercomparisonyo6.jpg
422 tris
512 diffuse,normal,spec power

I'm aware my scale is off and the specular map isn't the greatest. C&C welcome though.

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    looks good man! I think the metal looks good, try beating up the shaft a bit more.

. . . did I just say that. . . ?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    You have a very odd use of polygons...
    This should help some even if this is a shitty paintover.
    hammer.jpg
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    might want to show your texture too. for being a 512.. its lookin kinda plain.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks good man! I think the metal looks good, try beating up the shaft a bit more.

. . . did I just say that. . . ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    thanks smile.gif will do ...
    [ QUOTE ]
    You have a very odd use of polygons...
    This should help some even if this is a shitty paintover.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thanks, point taken. your paintover is fine.
    [ QUOTE ]
    might want to show your texture too. for being a 512.. its lookin kinda plain.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think your right:
    hammertexturesrd1.th.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    The over all proportions from the reference to your final model are off. The whole hammer needs to be thinner, and the head and rubber handle need to be longer.

If this is a piece you plan on displaying in a portfolio later on, I would recommend you ditch the spec and normal, and rely more heavily on a solid diffuse. Showing that you have the ability to generate a normal and specularity is fine, but something like this would have neither...unless maybe it was a weapon in an FPS.

I would also revisit your smoothing, especially on the wooden shaft above the handle. You can see the paint wear along the edges of it because the wood was shaped with very obvious angles...not one singular round/smooth piece like you have it in the model.

All in all, it's not bad, but don't consider this done, and really work on putting more detail into that diffuse.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya gotta agree with whats been said. At 1st i thought u made it out of clay. Cause to round in some areas and to fat in others
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Texture looks good so far, but I agree it's pretty plain for a 512. I think the main point is that most of your dirt & scratches feel very mushy. They need to be crisper. Get in there with the 1 or 3 pixel brush to bring out some of those scratches better.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone I'll work on it.

[ QUOTE ]
    All in all, it's not bad, but don't consider this done, and really work on putting more detail into that diffuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. If I considered it done I wouldn't be posting it on polycount smile.gif