Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

GarageGames is looking for art interns!

Hello! I work for GarageGames, a company that makes both games and game engines. We have a tradition here at GarageGames of hiring unpaid interns, testing out their skills for three months, and then evaluating them for full-time hire positions. Right now I'm looking for art interns to help make game demos and create art for our website, and one of my co-workers told me about the amazing talent on this forum, so I'm giving a shout out here. ^_^ We're looking for:

• Portfolio of your artistic skills, primarily focusing on game and web-based art
• Experience with common digital art software (Photoshop, Max, Maya, Blender are a huge plus)
• A proactive, hardworking spirit
• Excellent communication skills – both verbally and written
• Ability to work with a variety of employees: from development to marketing
• Programming and development experience a huge plus

In return, we can give you:

• Accommodations at our Intern House (free rent!)
• Flexible scheduling for students
• Real-world training and experience in the video game industry
• A really fun work environment (we create games for a living, after all)
• School credit

To be eligible for internships, candidates MUST be in school or eligible for receiving school credit or clock hours. For more info on me and the internship, check out my blog.

If you're interested, send your art portfolio, resume, and cover letter explaining what you hope to get out of an internship to internships@garagegames.com. If you have any questions, please also direct them there. Hope to hear from a few of you!

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Wish I could go back in time, I would have loved to have done this, but I needed to find an internship prior to Jan 23rd.. laugh.gif
  • bamfina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, we're still looking for someone to fill this position. Good art interns are hard to find! :P But I hope you found a good place to get some experience.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've done a bunch of work with Garage and just wanted to chime in and say how great of a team they are. Definitely a great place to get some experience.

Cheers smile.gif
    Gav
  • bamfina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav, thanks for the shout out! If you're familiar with what we're doing, we've got a lot of projects that need good artists, and this is where I was told to look for 'em. ^_^
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Its not really intern season right now I think is your problem. Summer is when everyone is looking for an internship.

you might want to try e-mailing schools. They're ALWAYS trying to get their students internships, and its good to have some sort of relationship with their programs.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I sent in my info..the school is allowing me to audit the internship class over again as the current place I'm at isn't really related to my degree.
  • bamfina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update for anyone who's interested: we're still looking for this someone to fill this position. (Dekard, although highly qualified, unfortunately couldn't spare the time to come out to Eugene. I wish him the best of luck though! Wish we could have had you out here.)

Aesir is definitely right that it's easier to get students in the summer, so I'm now looking for interns to start in May/June. (Don't worry, Aesir. I'm also in contact with several schools, but I like posting here because active members at Polycount are getting some hands-on experience outside of the classroom, which means a lot to GG.) Also, we have decided to open this up to recent graduates as well, so even if you've graduated, you can get some direct experience in the industry.

If you have any more questions, feel free to drop a line to [email="internships@garagegames.com."]internships@garagegames.com.[/email] Hope to see a few candidates from these boards!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hello, I just came across your post and thought I would see what you guys think of my chances of getting an internship. This is my last semester at the University of Advancing Technology in Tempe A.Z. before I graduate and I need to get an internship for the upcoming summer.

Here is my Portfolio Website: www.ICantBelieveItsNotHighPoly.com

And I am also competing in this years dominance war III so you can see my progress here at polycount @: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52253

As an upcoming graduate if nothing else I would love to hear where I can improve my work.

***I am a character modeler but I can also do other digital art related tasks.***

Oh yes, I will send an email to the one listed here as soon as I get a cover letter prepared.
  • bamfina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great! I'm looking forward to seeing your resume, Brad.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I'm interested in the position. I'm wondering what the deadline for application is, and a ballpark date of when you would make a decision on the position? I don't have a resume ready, and currently trying to get my portfolio site up and running.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Bamfina I have sent you an email at internships@garagegames.com with a link to my portfolio, resume, and cover letter. I look forward to hearing back from you.
  • bamfina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to let everyone know we have found a person to fill this position. However, we accept intern applications on a rotating application, and if there is a superstar out there, we would always consider them an internship. So feel free to send me an application anytime!