Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

TF2: Low Poly Project- Levels and Items!

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Indecom polycounter lvl 16
tf2_group.jpg
Image Copyright Tom Tallian @ http://tomtallian.com

Okay, so I am sure all of you know about Tom Tallians Low Poly TF2 model pack is freely downloadable, which is awesome. Got me started on a pretty cool project, a Low Spec TF2 for older computers. I'm rigging, and adjusting all of his models to allow for lipsyncing and animation, as well as creating my own custom content for the game, such as low poly projectiles, low poly itme pickups and the like. I can create all of this content myself, i'm sure of that. However, i dont have all the time in the world to do it in, so i figured i'd come to you guys with a pretty fun request. Basically, create a custom low poly version of anything you find in the game other than the characters and their weapons.
At this moment, what i'm really looking for is a low spec recreation of pretty much any level in the game. It should be playable on a psp, and saved in either 3ds, or obj format with low resolution textures, no more than 128x for a texture, but i'd prefer something like 64x.
Like i said, i can do this, but I'm sure you'd have more fun. Anyways, do what you want really, and I'll be sure to get a playable demo out as soon as i have enough content for it! :P

Here is a checklist of what i have already and what i need.

Buildings:
<font color="green">Sentry gun Level 1</font>
<font color="green">Sentry gun Level 2</font>
<font color="green">Sentry gun Level 3</font>
<font color="green">Teleporter</font>
<font color="green">Dispencer</font> [X]

Projectiles:
<font color="green">Demoman Sticky Bomb</font> [X]
<font color="green">Demoman Grenade</font> [X]
<font color="green">Soldier Rocket</font>
<font color="green">Medic Syringe (Syringe Gun)</font>

Misc Character Stuff:
<font color="green">Demoman Dynamite</font>
<font color="green">Engineer Guitar</font>
<font color="green">Spy Paper Mask</font>

Misc Other Stuff:
<font color="green">Capture Points</font>
<font color="green">Resupply Cabinet</font>
<font color="green">Small Ammo Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Medium Ammo Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Large Ammo Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Small Health Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Medium Health Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Large Health Pickup</font>
<font color="green">Crates</font>
<font color="green">Bullet Casings</font>
<font color="green">Shotgun Shells</font>
<font color="green">Wood and Metal Barrels</font>
<font color="green">Plywood Cow Cutout</font>
<font color="green">Tire</font>
<font color="green">Tree</font>
<font color="green">Dead Tree</font>
<font color="green">Rocks</font>

Levels:
Whichever one anyone feels like remaking, with super low polycount and all the required textures, low resolution. :P

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Cool little idea. Best of luck!
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Yea, if anyone has the time and is interested in helping, thats awesome. Everyone here is sure to get a demo of it anyways, maybe it could turn into a small polycount hobby game or something.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could make a few models, for sure. Let me know what you have and what's needed.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, I so far have everything posted in that top picture, plus the sticky bomb which i will redo for a lower poly count, and a grenade for demoman's grenade launcher. To make things easier, here is a checklist of what i have already and what i need.

On a side note, I have completed the Textures for the blue team, minus the blue flame thrower weapon which will take like 2 minutes, lol.
    Buildings:
    Sentry gun Level 1
    Sentry gun Level 2
    Sentry gun Level 3
    Teleporter
    Dispencer

Projectiles:
    Demoman Sticky Bomb [X]
    Demoman Grenade [X]
    Soldier Rocket
    Medic Syringe (Syringe Gun)

Misc Character Stuff:
    Demoman Dynamite
    Engineer Guitar
    Spy Paper Mask

Misc Other Stuff:
    Capture Points
    Resupply Cabinet
    Small Ammo Pickup
    Medium Ammo Pickup
    Large Ammo Pickup
    Crates
    Bullet Casings
    Shotgun Shells
    Wood and Metal Barrels
    Plywood Cow Cutout
    Tire
    Tree
    Dead Tree
    Rocks

Levels:
    Whichever one anyone feels like remaking, with super low polycount and all the required textures, low resolution. :P
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you set me up with some detailed screenshots? I don't have tf2 and good shots are hard to come by. My contact info is in my user profile.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything anyone needs can pretty much be found on this page: Clicky Link

I've modeled the dispenser, you can see some wips of it in the low poly character thread under pimping and previews.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SmallAidPills_PresentationSheetc-1.jpg

So I made one, you can see in the WAYWO-thread, feel free to comment. Working on the other health items.

*edited in 70% self illum
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, that looks really good, great progress. Cant wait to see what else you come up with.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Here's some tips to producing really low spec art:

Go as low as possible. TBH, if this game were made on DS, these would be sprites because they would look better as sprites that always face the camera. But, for this example, I'll model to explain some things.

Four sides looks as round as 6 sides on the small screen. So you might as well do it.

Be MUCH more advantagous of your UV space. It's clear your gave everything custom UVs and that's just pointless. My lid and bottom are a flat color, looks the same.

Most portables count vertex, not triangles. Everytime you break a UV, that's another vertex. Try to make your next object without ever breaking the UVs, seriously try it. I didn't break any UVs in my example. Sometimes it takes trickier modeling, sometimes more simple.

Finally, when you get down to the texturing, really exaggerate the points that are important and don't worry about the detail. Your cross for example, it's a blurry mess and will look that way one screen. Making it bigger and cleaner ensures it's visibility at a greater distance.

smallaidpills.jpg
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great point Cholden, thank you for pointing that out. As I do agree with everything you've stated, I must also let you know that this isnt actually meant for a smaller screen so the lower polycount on your bottle will be much more noticable than StJoris' six sided bottle. I do still agree though, that he could have used the uv space more efficiently, while increasing the size of the cross.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Cholden, thanks for pointing that out. I think I got it mostly covered in this one.

MediumAidFirstAidKit_PresentationSh.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having a little bit of trouble deciding how much geometry I should spend on the handle bit and the indent, semi-happy with it.

LargeIceCooler_PresentationSheetcop.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on a roll
    ResupplyCabinet_PresentationSheetco.jpg

Liking this one the most sofar.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Xeno, any crits? Looking to improve a good deal.

MOAR
    SmallAmmo_PresentationSheetcopy.jpg
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not Bad Joris. I'm curious though if you could make a version of the cabinet that is openable?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if it's supposed to be playable on a psp, you could benefit from making those ammo boxes out of just a cube. The little med bottles could just be a flat plane set to face the camera. The large health cooler could also have a 1/2 size texture and similar optimizations to the geo. It's way hipoly for the size it is, compared to the MUCH larger supply cabinet which has the same sized texture. >_<

For little items like that, they'll only be showing up at about 32px. That's not a whole lot to bother wasting 64x64 texture as well as all of those tris. In a fast type of game that a shooter is, maintaining that fast smooth frame rate is gonna be key.

Maybe you should make up your mind what you actually want, and state that. You say you want it to be for PSP specs, but then you say that it's not for a small screen. Well? Make up your bloody mind already!

Should also get this moved to P&P. Theres no reason to be posting this stuff here as well as in the SWAYWON? thread.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, its low poly, specifically. Thats all thats really important about this project, since its actually meant for a computer, so you will need to have at least enough polygons so that they dont look obviously flat. Since this is actually, more than likely going to be just a mod for tf2 if i dont get permission from valve to program the actual game myself.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that Xenobond, I will look into those points. I will post a seperate thread in P&P for this when I get some updates, didn't intend to pimp out the request section.

As far as the sizes, this is also for my portfolio, I'd reckon it would be more interesting for a potential employer if I could develop for PSP Spec with tiny screen than just lowpoly models for pc.
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been sometime now, but i'm curious. Are you still working on this, Indecom?
  • FactoriesBurning
    yea, i second that. is this still going on? i'd like to knock out a level or two.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thirded! I'm still making tf2 props, we should mail gabeN for a DS version :D
  • Monochrome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not only for DS but for old pcs too! I would personally to run something like this on my old machine.