Home Technical Talk

Simulated texturing, particles and weathering?

I've unwrapped and textured a number of metallic, chipped, scarred and scratched surfaces as of late and I was wondering if any of you guys had thought about or knew of an automated solution to perform weathering on materials. This is purely hypothetical speculation, I'm not in desperate need of such a tool, but what do you all think of the possibilities of a more simulated approach to weathering and damage texturing vs image mapping and hand-painted scarring?

I'm thinking of a system that would run something as follows, you'd lay out your uv's as necessary, and then define the materials your prop or object is constructed from, probably with an RGB material definition map. I assume you'd have a myriad of sliders at your disposal to combat the photoshop-filtered look of an instantly recognizable automated effect. Then once it's all set up, this hypothetical app would take ten minutes and literally sandblast the object with a million particles, each tearing a random tiny chunk from the surface of the texture, then drop it down 5 million steps to do the same, drag it across 600,000 feet of steel surface, corrode the edges with rust, cake it with dust, etc - all depending on the predefined materials and options selected.

The detriment: the up-front work of building the tool, and simulation time to generate the effect for each asset.

The benefit: believable, consistent and realistic weathering with rapidly diminishing long-term cost per asset.

Is there any talk of this kind of stuff? I'm not advocating this kind of approach, I'm just trying to start up a technical discussion.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting idea.
    That way you would only have to create the "clean" base texture, then the app would do the rest for you based on however much weathering you wanted to do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might already be done, Filter Forge has some really great filters and before you poo-poo the photoshop filter route take some time to check it out, being able to make your own customized filter is pretty awesome and sounds like you might be able to set up a filter to do what you're talking about, if it hasn't been done already?

http://www.filterforge.com/
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You can use a max falloff material set to the world z axis, to bake out a vertical gradient on you model and it's high areas. That alongside a cavity/ao map should provide a good base for some filters to fill in the rest.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig is right, Filter Forge is worth looking into. I'd say take a look at this guy's work, very game-oriented.

1383-small.jpg

One of the cool things about FF is you can examine the guts of everyone else's filters, learn how they did it.

Oh, and if you submit a really good filter you can win a free copy of the app.