Home Technical Talk

A simple UV question

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hi, im new to UVs and could use some help.

I created this.

tproll02ja8.jpg

The toilet paper roll is unwrapped, but the TP Holder is not.

First off, would i just unwrap half of the holder and texture half, or should i unwrap the whole thing, what would be a effectient way to do that in 3dsmax.

Secondly, is it possible to add the holder uvs object into the same space as the TP roll? How could i do that?

Thanks!~

-Buddikaman-

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The holder is symmetrical, so delete half of it. Attach the TP to the holder and UV them together into one texture sheet. Then detach the TP and re-mirror the holder, which will automatically mirror your UVs for you.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    When i try to merge them it messes up the texture of the TP model, it asks me if i want to merge materials i said no, am i doing something wrong?

Should i create the UVs for the holder THAN merge?

-Buddikaman-
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That has to do with the fact that they're using two separate materials. Is this for a game model? If so, you'll want to use just one texture (1 material) for both.

So, assign the TP material to the holder, then attach the two together, should avoid any material-assignment issues.

If you want to learn about why that attach-material issue happens, open the help file and go to Contents > Surface Modeling > Meshes > Attach Options Dialog.