Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

-Spacecraft-

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
Hi evryone! Im uploading some pics here with my space ship model. Worked on it for like 2 weeks...my first big project where I plan to go trough the basics of a modeling,UV mapping, texturing and trying to play with some normal maps and maybe some bumpy maps.

The space ship is lowpoly and now I hope I can get some criticism before i start going highpoly crazy on this. I also hope to get some advice like: Some tips on how I can use Zbrush for this model(hard surface sculpting) and general subdivision modeling tips.

spacehship.jpg

shipback.jpg

wip.jpg

wip2.jpg

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    That's the lowpoly? their's alot of wasted geometry. Here's a partial paintover to show some of it (yellow=removable, red=possible terminations)

space_optim2.jpg

As for your questions regarding hard surface sculpting, I would recommend against it.Getting good looking hard surface sculpts is hard even for most seasoned vets.I noticed that you're trying to keep your ship in all quads for this purpose, but it's not really needed for traditional sub-d modeling as it's largely just a practice to avoid creating pinch points when sculpting.
  • McKertis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very sleek. Now bevel all the creasing edges and subdivide it a couple of times.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments people!
    -McKertis: ur probably right when it comes to sculpting hard edges,experimented a bit today and all I can say is that its really hard to get them straight without ruining the whole form.
    So the following steps for me now would be to smoothe out the mesh with subdivision modeling and clean up the "low poly" mesh. Gonna post the result soon.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice design, but i need to agree, sh1tloads of wasted polies. I think u can easly remove those edges and add more details on the engine , and maybe some low poly interior and be still belove the limit with this ship. I'm guessing that limit is 5ktri.
    To be honest i don't c the point of using zb here. If u will do high poly in maya ( keep objects separatly ion gropus without adding smooth, add smooth just before bake, cos if u will have all objects smoothed and drawn in the same time, u will kill or maya either ur whole pc wink.gif)later smaller details u can easly add using crazy bump, eventually if u really want to use zb u can add some rust near connection between elements, or add scratches.
    Gl design is neat wink.gif
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment [email="Por@szek!"]Por@szek![/email] like you said the lowpoly needs to be lowered down *thanks for the pic again polyhertz*so i worked with that this week and i also made a highpoly out of it now, here are some pics. Next step is more lowpoly optimizing and uv mapping->normal mapping->textures. About the textures, do you people have any suggestions. I was thinking of going for a pretty sleek texture like this spaceship could be a car of the future or a racing cragft. Dont think Im gonna go for a military texture bur rather stick with a kind of a "Wipeout style". What do you think?

shippers.png

shipback-2.png
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    About the texture ... imho u should keep it clean and simple in big surface areas, and dense details of mechanic, high-tech things near places like engine and where u accumulating geometry. Clean texture, with some flames, or tattoo like shapes with very small leaks and rust near connection of 2 surfaces + something like after crash texture style in all front elements, and dirt and rust near mechanic, dense detail parts. hard to say about colors, keep it grey scale for now and when u finish just play on layers with various colors to pick one u like in the end.
    Keep it up, looking nice so far.