Home Technical Talk

wacom's bamboo

Hey was wondering if this will do for starting out. I have recently started drawing my own textures in PS and some friends said to get a tablet and learn to use that.

the intous3... is well out of my pricerange right now..

So for a beginner will this due?
http://www.wacom.com/bambootablet/

Replies

• Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    I still use my Graphire 2 and its still very nice. You should be fine with anything Wacom great tablets even the small ones.
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that will work just fine. 512 levels of pressure sensitivity is plenty. the only thing that might bug ya is not being able to tweak your driver settings specifically for different applications.

of course, i haven't actually used a bamboo. just speculating...
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok well ill only be using for cs3 so if anyone has experience with the two would love to here it.

and thanks for the feedback so far
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I have the small graphire also. Pretty cool, haven't used any other though.

Very cool being able to airbrush and change brush size with pressure. Hard to get the same lines with a fixed sized brush/mouse.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is graphire?
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    I just recently purchased this tablet. It works fantastic.
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dropped some hints about wanting a new graphire this past Christmases and ended up getting a bamboo. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but it has the same pressure sensitivity that the graphire has, and that was great. I have come to really like the bamboo for what it can do, (no rhyme intended). I set up the buttons to have the left and right arrows be the [ and ] keys so I could change brush sizes in photoshop easily, and then the to function keys I turned into "undo 1 step in history" and "redo 1 step in history"

The only minor draw back I have with it is that you can't fully customize the tablet to work differently while in certain programs. The custom settings you give it will be the same across the board. Nothing really to cry over but when the option is there, it's really nice.

I do like the zoom ring as well when working in photoshop, I have used to pretty effectively. So for the price and if you are just starting out with a tablet, I think it's great, Wacom doesn't disappoint. I give it 4.5 out of 5 kittens
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The bamboo's decent. the wacom rep i talked to said it's practically a graphire 5 with hipper marketing. should suit you fine for texture work.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys. Will only be working with photoshop (zbrush or mudbox come next year)

so i guess Ill get this cause everyone tells me I need to learn.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    the graphire is just another wacom tablet. I think it's an older model (maybe they only had graphires before?), now they have the bamboo and other models.

Not really sure what the differences are. Just looked at their site. Looks like the only graphire left is a blue tooth wireless one.

I got the small version about 4 months ago on sale for $50, I think they were $100 before. The Bamboo is about $80, probably about the same thing plus buttons on pad. Mine has pen and mouse. The bamboo looks like pen and buttons.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey got my hands on an intous..... no not intous3 but intous. Is this still worth using? What ive heard is that even the original intous are awesome.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    they changed the logo!

2243800650_ef9d38891b_b.jpg
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Gee, thanks, now my stomach started rumbling..