Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC #05 - indian_boy - Doom 3 Imp

hey hey!

thought i'd try some ultra-low poly stuff myself. and why not this right? its an imp from the doom 3 world

imp01.jpg
got the mesh done, i think. but since this is my first time at less than 2k tris, im sure i've done lots wrong. one thing i think ill do, is increase the width of the hips.

but yea, gimme your tips and suggestions.
I hope i can get good at _low_ low poly art too. i'll unwrap and get to texture painting later on, once i get a feeling that "yea, this looks like a good mesh".

so, crit away, on whatever you wish.
thanks guys
cheers!

Replies

• indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imp02.jpg

update... redid the mesh, apparently the imp is buffer than at first glance!
    and i think i did a better job distributing polies. at least he has a shape now!

tell me what you guys think!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Huge improvement from the first iteration, dude.
    I think the shoulders are a little beefy, kind of looks like he's a body builder flexing.
    The legs lack a whole lot of detail and are very straight even with the amount of segments you have there.
    Seeing as you've only been given 500tris, you could do with 5-sided legs and then redistribute those polys to help the silhouette. You seem to have thrown a good portion of your budget into the upper torso and everywhere else is lacking.
    Quick tip, which I'm sure you already know of. Make a full black material and apply it to your mesh and check the silhouette, you'll see straight away where forms are lacking and where you have segments that do nothing.
    Keep at it, dude.

-caseyjones
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Big improvement on the first model there, you are learing fast wink.gif

Take a look at all the wires of some of the other models in the comp, that will really help you get a feel for the poly distro. If you want a more interactive look at some wires then you can also download my SDK in the P&P section.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys!
    @casey: yea ur right about the shoulders. And i moved around some more polies, i think the legs are looking better now. And i never thought of that 'black mat' test before, thanks for the idea!
    @Xaltar: haha, thanks man! And yea, i've been looking at some of the wires. It does indeed help alot. And i'll be getting ur sdk. Thatd prolly be a good idea!

alright, thanks for the tips guys.
    heres an update for today:
    imp03.jpg

getting better?
    pushed more polies around, reduced the shoulder bulge, gave the legs some more shapes. and thats pretty much it.

tell me what you guys thnk!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i figured the mesh was looking pretty good, so i moved on to the next step:
    imp04.jpg

how's the distribution?
    i hope the shape's are recognizable.
    and ye, there is minimal stretching, the most stretching happens under the feet, and parts which'll be shadowed out.

tell me wat you guys think, and i'll be starting the diff texture asap.
    unfortunately wont be home today at all, so prolly wont have time today.

thanks guys
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    keep at im man, looks a little bendy overall could use a more powerful pose. Also if you look at http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/images/content/demon_imp.jpg his hips are quite pointy, and I think youve got enough cuts in the mesh to recreate the real hip shape