Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Render

verybad
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
verybad polycounter lvl 17
This is from modding of Mechwarrior IV. The render is actually old (last February)However I never posted this anywhere, so I figured why not now. The high res textures used in development were fun, but can't be seen in game (512x512 limit). The sky was photoshopped in, so lighting is not correct from that. Textures were diffuse and specular 2048x2048. (specular for my fun, no spec in MW4)

marauder2122407th6.th.jpg

Replies

• Masakari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Masakari polycounter lvl 9
    Always loved your Marauder, vb! That looks great for a game built on old tech like MW4. Do you have any renders of your Stalker and Blood Asp mechs?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Great rendition of the marauder 2. Can we see the high poly? Always loved your high poly mech renders.
  • sherrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, im actually working on a mechwarrior MOD for Crysis
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome model, cool render but the same crits about the noisy texture still apply.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Looking at your paintover I can see yeah, it's a bit noisy, thoug I love detail. I'm learning normal mapping modeling now, so a lot of these old models are kind of throw away, as they not designed for that.

Next model I'll go less overall detail (eg all the armor stuff, but increase the density in some areas. Probably won't go as low detail as your paintover, but will compromise in that direction. My goal is always to make something look like it can be worked on by technicians, but MW4 texturing was all diffuse. So the details couldn't be normal mapped in, most of my textures are based off an Ambient occlusion pass of the high poly model (had to break it up in pieces and render it, because when I started Maya wouldn't bake to the LP model (pre Mental Ray).)I think the same level of detail in a normal map would be ok (though I may just be fooling myself) *shrugs* onward.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i like your robot enough, but the render and presentation reminds me of trapper keeper notbook art