Home Technical Talk

Photoshop - File > Open > Punch Self

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
I open a thousand images a day, and nothing drives me nuts more than clicking File > Open and watching the window that pops up EVERY DAMN time be super small.

I'm constantly searching for images and browsing for textures, and I don't have time for Bridge / Picasa. I know WHERE my textures are, but I want a FAST way of browsing them, and right now, having to rescale my window every single time I click File > Open to browse some thumbnails drives me insane.

Is it possible to resize the File > Open window PERMANENTLY in Photoshop CS2? Or am I doomed to have my window ALWAYS go back to default shit size every time and then rescale when I want to browse my texture library?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Have Windows Explorer open and just drag and drop files into Photoshop? I keep an Explorer window or three open on my 2nd monitor for this reason. I guess it's not so good if you just have one monitor though.
    I Also have Shift+E set to open the current Irfanview image in Photoshop.

Sorry if I haven't really answered your question there, I've never really had a problem with PS's File Open dialog. Can't remember offhand if it keeps the last size you set, I'll check tomorrow.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Similar suggestion...
    For searching through multiple files, I rarely do in PS.
    Recently found 'fast stone image viewer'(it's FREEWARE~) and replaced it for 'xnview.'
    You can assign hotkey to open the selected image(s) with apps of your choice as well.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    have you tried the photoshop image browser? it's Ctrl+Shift+O in photoshop - or found under the file menu.

It's a bit slow compared to other image browsers like ACDSEE but is already setup to open the images in photoshop. I use it all the time for browsing textures.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bridge is hella sluggish for me
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, same...that's part of why I don't run it either. I suppose I could get smart and less lazy and start just keeping my Explorer window open and drag and drop...Part of the issue also has to do with Saving. Sometimes I want to make sure the image I save isn't overwriting an old one, so I would love having that window open bigger so I can see my file lists on the left without having to drag the bar over everytime I want to look at it. confused.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Do you use the OS open dialogue, or the PS open dialogue?

the PS one is a little slower to open at times, but i have never had it resize itself on me.

Instead of File > Open, just double click on the blank gray space, much faster :P
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    one of the guys at work uses a custom file menu dialog that replaces the windows standard one. must be a plugin. seems to work fine in max and ps and offers more customizeability than the default thing.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I use the PS dialog. It resizes 100% of the time.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure but I think Photoshop has a File->Browse feature that opens an image explorer ( like an ACDSee )
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Ott, I just tried I found out that if I am in 'Use Adobe Dialog' mode the window indeed always switches back to the annoying small size, BUT when in 'OS dialog mode', which is btw much faster, window proportions stay intact. This is CS3 btw. Hope it helps!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    CS2 - resizes 100% of the time. Nice to see that it is fixed in CS3 though...;)

And yeah, I've used browse before, but it is also miserably slow. Picasa does a much better preview job imo, i'll probably just switch to that....hopefully I can drag and drop into PS smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thats really bizzare.

i use the PS dialogue, and it has never resized on me, only when using the OS one. heh. I just tried it out, and worked fine, i got nuthin! I am using CS3 too.

Bridge is nice, but o-m-g is it terrible for browsing large groups of reference photos, that are high res. Acdsee is sooooooooooooooOOoo so sooos osooooooooo much better, its really not that much more effort to use either smile.gif its quick, easy, and has drag and drop to photoshop.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I hate bridge but it does come in useful
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    got one more thing in addition to acdsee that I use at work, If anyone would find it useful:
    http://www.file-ex.com/welcome.html

It basically adds a couple of extra drop downs on pretty much every file open dialog. I got annoyed about the inconsistent file dialogs in max and elsewhere, and this wee app means i can get to my last opened files and folders in a single click.

sounds lazy, but boy does it save me time and save me having tons of shortcuts to various folders on my desktop.

Not directly relevant to the problem at hand, but I thought I'd mention it. smile.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ah, file-ex, that's the thing i was referring to. not freeware tho - dang.

and why the hell would anyone want to use acdsee? that seems to be the least stable memoryhog ever. sticks out from the crowd of image viewers like an erected middle finger directed towards the user. stopped being lean and nice and stable a decade or so ago.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Who uses "browse" that often anyway ???