Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Problem

Ive just recently been learning z-brush but Ive followed my teachers direction completely and Im still having problems. The problem is when I try to create a Normal map off of my brushed model the map comes out all segmented and incomplete. I showed it to him and he doesn't know whats causing it so I thought Id ask here.

Here are a couple of screen grabs of the problem

thanks for any help you can provide

zbrush1.jpg

zbrush2.jpg

Replies

• rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you provide more detail information, such as;
    (1) What application(s) was(were) used in your work flow? (include version, and service pack if it is applicable)
    (2) Im/Export settings? (for both ZB and other apps)

There are numerous possible errors in pipeline between ZB and other packages, and Pixologic seems to decide not fully support as I was responded for recent trouble (ZB-Max pipeline related..) myself..
    More information you provide, better suggestion can be given...

Rybeck
  • nurow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah

I built the low poly head in 3ds Max 9,UVW unwrapped it, collapsed it, then applied a single mesh smooth to remove the few tria's I had lingering in the wire frame. and exported it as a .obj then brought it in to Zbrush 3.1 and applied 5 devide levels so that I could go in and add elements such as stubble, pores, wrinkles.

hope this helps.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a couple 'suggestions'(means it may NOT work)

(1) apply 'xform reset' and collapse the stack before you export the mesh out of Max

(2) try 'Guruware Im/exporter' Default max obj import/exporter may cause the trouble...

(3) Consider to download and install the latest service pack for 3ds Max

(4) try 'UVmapper ' (Free versionis avaialbe) It was used in order to avoid using max when you export and import back into ZB 3.1 which apperently causes UV orders... This is part of my personal investigation in these days... Indeed this is confirmed as working workflow by me, under Zb 3.1 to 3ds Max/sp2 pipeline...

still you need to provide exact im/export settings you used in both ZB and max in order to let me "suggest" some possible detour.

Rybeck
  • nurow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it figured out

strangely enough there must have been a minor corruption in the model its self. I ended up creating a box turning it in to an editable poly, and then attaching the head to the box to transform it into a new model. Then deleted the box element and reset my pivot point. Strange problem but atleast its over. Thanks for the help though