Home Technical Talk

3D engine CSG/BSP/Portals doubts

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
jogshy polycounter lvl 17
I'm adding constructive solid geometry to an engine and got some doubts:

1. Do you like subtractive CSG? I heard is dangerous because can create lot of holes and tjunctions and other artifacts. Some engines can use only additive... but with additive-only is hard to model some kind of geometries... what do you think about this?

2. Do you use convex rooms or concave ones? What's better... to use the walls as BSP partitions or just the portals as split planes? I think convex ones produces too many splits and polygon cuts... and concave ones can be not very optimized because depends on where you place the portals...

3. Do you prefer automatic portals or manual ones? Do you use anti-portals a lot?

4. Do you prefer to model your rooms with CSG or with "static hardware brushes"? If you like CSG... how do you manage a building that can be destroyed completely ( like some Crysis's buildings ) or a mobile "building" like a train in movement?

5. Do you use static vertex colors/lightmaps still or full-dynamic lighting with normal maps, etc? Do you use PRT(precomputed radiance transfer) a lot?

thx!