Home General Discussion

Burnout Paradise

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
I'm surprised no one has posted anything about this one yet.

It's basically an open world, sandbox Burnout which makes for times that when good are completely amazing (zooming about and causing destruction with friends, testing the limits of your car) and when bad are pretty aggravating (silly design choices here and there like not being able to restart races).

But overall the good outweigh the bad fairly considerably and I think it's quite a good game.

it's also a nice breath of fresh air for the series and a throwback to the good ol' days when a sequel was something of a new game experience and not a glorified expansion pack.

Check it out if you can. The demo on XBL is ok, but doesn't really show off the really swell parts of the map.

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I was planning on preordering it, but kept forgetting to. Now that it's out, my money's actually going into my car at the moment, so when that spending spree's done, I'll pick it up. smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Played it for a few hours this weekend. Excellent game in almost all respects, and I love the extreme "Bruckheimer" feel you get when taking on packs of cars.

The only real gripe I have with the game is the need to drive back to certain places in order to restart a race after you tried and lost. Pretty annoying, but a small price to pay for a great game.

Oh yeah, one more gripe: civilian vehicles are goddamn TOUGH. Do not crash into them, you'll regret it.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I loved trashing traffic around in Burnout 3 and i loved crash mode...
    Both gone in Paradise :/
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Showtime is insanenly fun though. Sounds stupid on paper, but in game it's very enjoyable.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I actually have a 10 euros gift from the store I usually go to and was planning to use it to get paradise...man I played the demo online so much tongue.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the shit out of some Burnout Revenge - hard for me to go back to racing where carnage isn't the goal. I played the demo and had some fun driving around - but I'd much prefer a simple menu to let me navigate to the fun rather than driving around looking for the correct intersection.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'm about 20%, got my 14th car last night. The burning routes are insanely hard for some of the alternate cars to get. If you see me online "HarleyQ" i'm always up for some racers smile.gif

I really miss traffic checking frown.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I am enjoying Paradise, but I am going to have to echo the sentiment that it doesn't have the good stuff the prior games have. I also have to admit, the running all over the damn place to get to my garage is a PAIN IN THE ASS.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played the demo a while back. Did it annoy the piss out of anyone else that there was no driver character in the player car? Has this changed in the retail version or are they still going with the ghost-driver mechanic?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    There's never been any drivers in any of the cars....

Go look back at the older versions of the game.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird, I've played a few of the others casually and never noticed that. But it was painfully obvious to me while playing the Paradise demo.

Some FlatOut-esque ragdoll-driver launching action would be nice:
    s21234_ps2_18.jpg

Or at least a generic racing suit/helmet type guy. I can see why they might leave something like that out, it's not exactly central to gameplay, may cause classification issues, ect. Still, it feels like a hole in the overall product to me.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    It's simple really:

Empty cars causing havoc and cracking up - E for Everyone

People presumably dying/getting mangled with every crack up - Teen or Mature
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's never been any drivers in any of the cars....

Go look back at the older versions of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just been playing Burnout3 and they at least put a floating head in some of the cars. Which for my money is alot more sinister than adding a driver...