polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
Hail PolyCounters!

CrazyBump needs hotkeys, and I seek your input. Here's what I've got so far:

undo: ctrl z
redo: ctrl y or ctrl shift Z
save: ctrl s
save all: ctrl shift s (would ctrl-a be better?)
open: ctrl o
copy: ctrl c
paste: ctrl v
show/hide preview: ctrl p
show/hide mixer: ctrl m

Would you suggest different key assignments or actions?

I also seek opinions about key controls for the preview window. I'm considering WASD to rotate and shift-WASD to move.

thanks for your advice,

-Ryan

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks good to me man.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Editable hotkeys would be nice, if possible.

Like I use Ctrl-A for redo because it's right next to Ctrl-Z, but it's not a common setup.

I also like the majority of the hotkeys to be near my left hand if possible. Ctrl-P is impossible with one hand, requires me to take my right hand off the tablet or mouse.

Single keys are better IMHO, like ~ for show/hide preview, 1 for show/hide mixer, etc.

As for preview movement, are you thinking WASD for moving the viewpoint? Mouse control is pretty good.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for those suggestions!

Hotkeys won't be editable in the next release, but maybe later on!

I'll take your advice on the single keys.

Both P and ~ will toggle the preview.

M will toggle the mixer.

I'd rather avoid 1 as a hotkey for the mixer, because we need it for number input. Maybe tab? I don't find myself showing & hiding the mixer very often, so maybe it doesn't need prime keyboard real estate?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tab would be good to keep for moving between text fields, if you had that, but I don't see you doing this. It's such a mousable UI.

It'd be nice to have hotkeys for the preview Options (spec on/off, colored lights on/off, etc.). Maybe qwert keys?
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    i usually use the paste texture from clipboard function and everytime i tweak the texture and repaste it i have to tweak the settings again. i think a hotkey to use the previous settings would be a great addition (or maybe a checkbox in the options to toggle the function).

i also think it'd be nice if you could toggle the displacement, spec, occ and diffuse map in the preview window via hotkeys.
    maybe alt+1, alt+2, alt+3 etc.

edit: basically what eric said cool.gif

edit2: giving it a second thought it'd actually be nice to have a hotkey to paste a texture from clipboard while tweaking the settings in the mixer (like a refresh) and copy the currently shown texture to clipboard using another hotkey. as in if you display the occlusion tab it'll copy the ao map to clipboard, if you have the normals tab open it'll copy the normalmap and so on. now that'd be handy!

edit3: alright i just saw that you seem to have thought of that yourself laugh.gif its late and i'm tired
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we make sure the interface responds as expected of a 'regular' windows interface? By this I mean:
    -tab jumps to the next field, shift-tab to the previous.
    -ctrl-left or -right moves to the next 'part' of in a field, which is handy since it can jump to the beginning of a word, or the dot or comma in a number. shift-ctrl-left or -right does much the same, but with added selection. ctrl-backspace deletes a full 'unit'.
    -ctrl-tab switches tabs (specular, normal, diffuse...)

I don't know how many of these are actually in there already, so I may be stating some very redundant things, but I hope it helps.