Home Technical Talk

skin -> mirror vert/bones -> auuuugh.

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
hey guys, I've been sitting on a problem all week regarding my character I'm rigging.

Everything was going smoothly, but now it looks like skin has decided to insert it's own weight values for a certain selection of verts when I try to mirror them over, also, it seems to take the head bone and move it so both ends are on the same spot... is there a way to fix this or am I looking at re rigging this thing?

The negative values just seem to appear from nowhere, regardless if I go blue to green or green to blue.

max8 btw.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot please? How are you mirroring? What do you mean by blue and green? Negative values for what? Did you mirror the bones?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried adjusting the mirror offset value? It should show up as a plane much like the unwrap gizmo, you want that dead nuts center. It sounds like you might have some weird issues how about baking the vert data, saving it and applying it to a new skin modifier after resetting xform?

Also did you go back down the history stack and make changes to the model?
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I noticed sometimes the mirror gizmo would be moved for some reason, other times I would need to adjust the mirror threshold.

You know I think it's happened to me a few times without going back into the stack as well, but I can't be sure. I'll try baking the weights and see where it leads me.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I was able to save off the envelopes and reskin it.. the problem went away... for some reason bake didn't seem to work unless I'm doing it wrong.

So all was good for another hour or so... until it happened again. This time I was working with nothing outside the skin modifier for sure.

http://dreamers-ink.ca/gallery/albums/3d/huh.jpg

2 verts off for a walk by themselves, but look at the weight tool.

I can go back and reweight them, but as soon as I mirror again, they go for another walk.