Home Technical Talk

ZB3.1 with no UV's work flow?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
penrod polycounter lvl 14
Does anyone know of a work flow in ZB3.1 where you can do a high poly sculpt and do your UV's later? I thought i could import a low poly mesh and use the morph tool, but that didn't seem to work. any suggestions? is this even possible in 3.1?

Replies

• Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    If you export the lowest subdivision from Zb, import it on your 3d application, you can mess with the UVWs freely, and provided that you didn't delete/create any vertex you shouldn't have any problem just reimporting it once again, no need to use morphs. Just import it while editing your main tool. At least i think i've done it before and it worked.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    you can use UVlayout for this too it has a function that rewrites the obj files without changing the verts order, pretty damn useful.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    But if you just change the UVWs shouldnt it keep the order? sometimes the mesh gets bugged, perhaps it is due to some errors on that...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i had some success using the method vitor described. however for really tweaking a proper uv layout i almost always find myself breaking up the mesh/changing vert order one way or another, so i normally bake to a final uv layout as a last step in the process - in the main 3d app.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Vitor, I tried doing this method, and it doesn't seem to be working for me. Have you tried doing this with ZB3.1? I believe it worked in 3.0. I found this thread on zbrushcentral.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=55366

This guy was having to use both ZB3.0 and ZB3.1 as a work around for doing this. So, this might just be a bug with 3.1...not sure. Thanks for all the responses!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    just curious, what exactly is your workflow for needing to uv the high? personally i do auto uvs (guv tiles) on my lowest level, use the poly painting tools to texture, use color to texture to put my work on the texture, bake my color map when i am baking my normal...

seems to work great.
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am actually trying to tweak the UV's on the low poly, not the high poly. Basically the UV's from the basemesh that i was working on were not laid out as well as they could have been, so I wanted to go back into maya to make some changes. If i export out my low poly mesh and tweak the UV's, then re-import that mesh it starts to explode when i step up in my geometry levels. Has anyone had any success with making changes to your uv's once the high poly sculpt is done in ZB3.1? Thanks for the help...sorry if this is confusing.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been after this subject awhile (yeah awhile...) and, for your case, this post on zbc will throw more clues...

Will be great if you can let us know how this method works, since I felt overwhelmed at certain point to experiment with so many setting tweaks in order to make things work smoothly..

Simply, you do not want to change any vertex order in im/export process in order to make this work. However, I found certain version of max (which I use mainly) with or without certain service pack, will act different that may cause vertex order changed.