Home General Discussion

35$ tablet (not Wacom) new

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WP8060-TAB08&AID=10440852&CJPID=552179

Apparently, with the coupon code TAB2008 this will come to 35$. No, it isn't a wacom but if you are on a budget and REEEEALLY think you need a tablet, this may be for you. Enjoy!

Replies

• sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder if it's cloned wacom technology... that pen looks a reproduction of wacom's pen.

Who wants to see if the wacom driver will work on it? laugh.gif

good price for what they're offering though.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, are there any reviews for this model? For an 8 x 6 drawing tablet, $35 would be a fantastic price. I would just want to make sure it performs decently. I'm currently sporting a smaller Hanvon tablet, which is already pretty ghetto as far as tablets are concerned.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It would be nice if there was a genuine competitor to Wacom - it would help drive the price down on the Cintiqs.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    It would be nice if there was a genuine competitor to Wacom - it would help drive the price down on the Cintiqs.

[/ QUOTE ]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I've been wanting it to happen for years! Why the hell hasn't this happened yet!? ?!?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The pen probably requires batteries, therefore is heavier and you have to replace batteries.

AFAIK Wacom owns the patent for battery-free tablet pens.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I've been wanting it to happen for years! Why the hell hasn't this happened yet!? ?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every computer owner needs a mouse, not every computer owner needs a tablet.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    i wish they would make tablets the "mainstream" peripheral. It really helps with carpal tunnel and such...........My girl uses my old Wacom 4x5 at work. She does basic office stuff, and its really helped her wrist pain.

maybe this tablet company should advertise to those strained BASIC OFFICE workers....just a thought
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    This thread appears just as I spend 2K on a cintiq :S

Probably a junker anyway (compared to a cintiq). But still a good deal for a tablet with 1024 pressure levels.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    problem is... how do you measure their 1024 levels of pressure? It's a chinese product.. they might not even know what it means laugh.gif
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Wacom released a new brand called Bamboo Tablets, I got one one last week and its great. The design is pretty slick, it has a detachable usb cord (thank god) the pen is as comfortable as intuos 3 pens, all for an affortable 75$. Only minus is 512 pressure levels, if u need the 1024 p-levels you ll need to give in an extra 80-100$.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the bamboo is a replacement for the graphire, I'm still not quite sure why the graphire line was retired... and what does that mean for the intuos? But yeah I love my intuos even though it's a G1 usb intuos... even though it's a little big at 9x12.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    problem is... how do you measure their 1024 levels of pressure?

[/ QUOTE ]

ha. indeed*. the big question for me has always been : how do you squeeze 1024 ( or 512 for that matter ) levels of pen pressure into 100 levels of brush opacity ?

taking your quote out of context
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm a good question indeed... is it a mere marketing gimmick or does software fully support that many levels of pressure.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    makes for good fluff on the package a. all sexual innuendo aside i challenge any meat and three vege human to move his action through those 1024
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing i never really understood, and i've always had an intuos so someone can correct me if i'm wrong. Is why the hell does 512 or 1024 levels matter? I mean really, is someone sitting there complaining they cant get their brush to notice the difference between 18.0108% and 18.0505% opacity in photoshop?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I could be mistaken, but when upgraded to an Intuos from a Graphire, it felt like it was more sensitive.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    EQ my understanding is that you really get 1024 levels only if you use the pen with stiff settings (sensitivity slider to the right) which I think is the default behaviour.
    However if you prefer a lighter setting (slider to the left) I believe you basically get a fraction of the 1024 levels, and when doing rather light brushstrokes it starts to make a difference. Haven't used my Graphire since years tho, sold it (to a programmer that now uses it with theGimp, go figure) hence I can't check - but I remember feeling the difference when switching to Intuos. (Intuos2 still rocks btw!!)
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is a definite difference in the smoothness of transition between the sensitivity of the 512 and 1024, I've used both. I've found sometimes the graphires had a bit of jumpyness in size steps and the intuos was always smoother in transition.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed a big enough difference between a graphire I got as a gift compared to the intuos I had been using for years. Enough that I promptly went out and replaced it with an intuos 3. That's the main reason I haven't bought into tablet pcs yet either. If they feel anything like using the graphire did I'd prefer to just wait till the tech catches up a bit to what you get with an intuos or cintiq.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tablet PCs have 256 levels of pressure (first gen, it might be changing now)... but it feels like the graphire so it's not terrible.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'm might just need this...{throws away old graphire tablet.}