Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

tf2 wip

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
talons model in http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=2&Number=82&page=0&fpart=391 inspired me to make my own freeman model in a tf2 style so i started on it friday a bit, and starting back up on it today. pretty happy with the lower body proportions, working on the shoulders and arms now, try and get happy with them.
gord.jpg

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    was expecting Gordan to look a little more stylized smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I guess you're going more in the spy/sniper direction than the soldier looking version
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm going a gordon freeman direction. at least my opinion of it. which is a thin scientist in a neat biosuit.

lee what do you mean by stylized? if you look thru the tf2 models, only some of them are crazy exagerated. only to suit the character. http://www.tfportal.de/tf2_classes.php

i know its easy to just think "stylized" and poof make giant hands and feet. but tf2 is a lot more subtle than that.
    the scout is pretty much straight on normal proportions.
    sniper is mostly, just slightly oversized hands and arms.
    soldier has slightly oversized upper body.
    demmo guy has larger uper bod and skinny legs,
    doctor pretty much normal proportions
    heavy is most stylized huge upper bod and arms, small legs
    pyro mostly standard proportions slightly big hands
    spy besides a long upper bod he's a normal proportioned skinny guy.
    engie fairly normal proportions just slightly small legs.

what i'm trying to do is not make a warner bros cartoon char and make one that i think would fit right in with the tf2 game. i don't think thats done with mostly the geo but a mix of geo and texture
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what do you mean by stylized? if you look thru the tf2 models, only some of them are crazy exagerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one way to view the word stylized. If you going to recreate Gordan in the TF universe then maybe give him big glasses, or a really large crow bar. (coming up with random ideas) I wasn't thinking big hands a feet but more of things from his universe that could be exaggerated so players would know, "Oh theres Gordan from across the map"
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so the 2 things you thought i should have done different are things that i have not even come close to starting on yet?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thats kind of what I meant, you're going for the subtle stylisation rather than the ott (soldier isn't subtle in my book tongue.gif ) looks good smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thats more like it. As much as I like seeing Gordon Freeman done in new styles, Talon/Spitty's version didn't set well with me when being touted as a perfect match for the TF2 style. On its own, separate from TF2 its fine. I'm glad you aren't using the purposeful exaggeration in TF2 as a license to go all Fisher Price Heroes. I really like spitty's take on Gordon, but it doesn't fit well in TF2.

I'm glad you're keeping to more of a "Gordon Rockwell" body style.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gordon.gif a bit under 2k polys currently, after i get him all roughed in i'll go and beef him up to tf2 specs
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. I think it would be nicer if he was a little broader (skinny people can be broad) - just to make the suit have a bit more depth to it. Right now the suit doesn't feel like much. It is a nice direction and it does fit the TF2 theme, and the texture will bring it out so much more.

Also just though: if you brought out the beard out when you do it - you'd see it side - which is all part of the TF2 look, silhouette.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey, Looks awsome, and I totally agree about your points on the tf2 style. There are a lot of folks who think "Stylized" means "Whimsically Exaggerated", when in fact it is simply being consistant.
    ROck on, looks great.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    One of the key TF2 artistic points is that all the characters have a seriously well-defined attitude built into their visual design

what kind of 'tude are you trying to give your TF2 freeman? Still feels kind of aimless right now in that respect (unless you're going for the "weiner" attitude)
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    as long as he's an engineer replacement i'm happy :P after all, he's supposedly an engineer or a scientist of some sort...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    true; although judging by his murderous rampage through the combine forces, I think he could manage soldier laugh.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gord03.jpg
    last update for today i'm headin home, weighs in at 3k polys i'l have to check and see if talon was correct that the tf2 models are actualy over 13k if so i got a lot of smoothin to do i just wanted to get him roughed in completely first.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Rhino, just a quick thought for some added personality. I am not sure what you're planning, but it'd be great to see him and his costume destressed a bit. Messy hair, a little blood on his crow-bar hand, and so on.

So I guess I should ask what direction you'll take him? Gordon Freeman who's new to the suit? A generalized Gordon Freeman? A post-battle Gordon Freeman? And so on.

Top notch here man looks great so far.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it feels like the nose is too small in the side view. Push it out a bit more, or bring the mouth and chin forward. His face just feels a tad squashed at the moment to me. Otherwise im enjoying it!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! looking very cool. Looks like a scientist with a cool bio suit made in the tf2 style. Make sure to build enough polys in the face for some fun facial animations.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah perfect, truckin right along nice progress.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir: besides cleaning up the edge flow i think i'm verry happy with the face shape. especialy in profile. i may tweak it a bit straight on.

milkjoibrome: have not thought much about the textures yet. but if i do put this in tf2 i will have to make red and blue skins. but i will surely make a traditional gordon one. and maybe one with blood. not sure. none of the tf2 characters are dirtied up from the start.

vig and josh: glad you guys like it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really nice, Rhinokey.
    I'm currently working on a Patrick Bateman model in TF2 style (will be posting a WIP shortly) and while heavily looking at the topology and silhouettes of the TF2 characters in the model viewer, I noticed that the hands for the models are pretty much identical (with a few tweaks here and there, mainly for the scout). They all generally have thick wrists and chunky hands and I think that is what is missing with your Freeman model so far. You've got the main propotions down and the head looks great! Just the hands are really letting it down for me.
    Keep plugging away, its really coming together.

-caseyjones
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's perfect.
    If you're going to over-exxagerate anything it should be the forearms, but they look great the way they are and I personally wouldn't change it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I never got the impression Gordon was thin.

If you look at the early HL stuff he has a massive beard and is somewhat chunky!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I'm feelin' it.

I think the neck is a bit long. With armored characters I often forget that their shoulders are buried underneath a good bit of armor, which leads to the same problem.

Maybe his fingers could be a tad longer?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    longer neck is a style decision. hands will probably be revisited and bulked up a small bit.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy smokes, i was lookin in the tf2 model viewe.. and aparenlty i need to beef the shitfuck out of the polycount,
    the count shows in the viewer as 16k for the models i've looked at. the faces are insanely high poly modeled teeth, tongues even those uvula things
    medicwire.jpg
    medicwireteeth.jpg
    sniperwire.jpg
    demowire.jpg

i'm not sure how the eye works but i asume its some kinda shader, that follows you within limits, as you move around int he viewer the eye follows you, but the geo does not move

the models seem to have normal maps that don't really do much for faking shape, but moslty just helps with lighting rendering to make it look smoother on the blockier body parts.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, I was wondering why all the models were looking at the camera in those shots.

That would be creepy as fuck to work with.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Rhino - they do that in-game as well. Each character looks at you as you run by 'em.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Wasnt that "eye follow" thing some tech bit they wrote up about around the time hl2 was getting wrapped up?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    nice start, and thanks for showing the wires of the tf2 characters. Hmm i must say that the lods of the tf2 characters are at places horrible. Everyone must have spotted the pyros tank changing colors right?
    It will be intresting to see where u go with this! smile.gif
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yeah, it's been in since HL2. If you want to have a go at setting up the eyes, search for "QCeyes" on the valve wiki for starters. Make sure you reference the eye VMTs from one of the existing characters too.

Don't use half-spheres or whatever for the eyes, or it fucks up the movement range and the irises can slide right inside the head. Just model an old-school eye shape as part of the head mesh. You assign a shader to the polys that make up the eye and if you set it all up right the eyes will do that auto tracking thing along with some other cool stuff.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, the eyes have done that since HL2. they can be scripted to look at specific objects. TF2 added more advanced facial animations to go with it. that's why the faces are so high density.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gord04.jpg
    think i'm pretty happy with the body (besides ugly hip blocks. will start on the head at lunch i guess. try and get the model finished sometime today.
  • Nato_VanDookie
    brilliant work...it would be great if you could get into source.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah. SO Digging it man.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Hands proportions are spot on, dude! This is really coming together, and I actually like the hip blocks being a little bigger and more pronounced. Just adds to the exaggerated proportions and adds more dynamic to the silhouette.
    Really looking forward to seeing this bad boy finished with all the shaders applied.

-caseyjones
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    I'm also working on a Gordon Freeman Model, but I just absolutely LOVE this interpretation. I hope you're going to finish it, it'd be darn shame to just leave it like that. Love the proportions and the feel it has to it. Really good stuff.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really digging the legs so far. -kind of a flat-footed Mignola-esque look to them.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    That's a wicked design so far. Definitely needs to have a bigger nose in the side view. Pull it out much more.

Other than that he's looking great, got the style down just right
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, just wanted to say this is looking ace so far. I'm really digging the direction you've taken with it. The long neck fits Gordon well, and the hands have some great style to them.

This isn't the first interpretation I've seen of Gordon in TF2 style, but it is definitely my favorite.

Please finish him, for great justice!