Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aldo's 20 Week Dump

I had to pick a mythical creature to model for a class. So I decided to pick Cronus (Kronus, Cronos, Saturn). I started earlier today, modeled a base mesh, then started Zbrushing. This is the first pass, just to really fix problems that might have been in my base mesh.

Progress Day 1:

TitanWIP1.jpg

Replies

• artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    What reference are you using? There have been so many different interpretations of Cronos (old text, God of War, etc)....it would help to see which one you're referring to.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked at most of the references and read the varying mythologies (off of wikipedia, not sure how correct they are)...I really like how GOW II did their titans, but I think in the end, I'm going to try and blend their style (where the titans are big and bulky) but not so enormous (in scale). I also want to blend the style of classical greek sculpture in there.

I'm also going to do it post 'titan wars'...so, he's already had his stomach ripped open by zeus..and is imprisoned for eternity in the cave of Nyx (cave of night?)...so he will have very pale skin.

But here are the main inspirations I'm going off of:

http://www.curiousexpeditions.org/Rubens_saturn.jpg
    http://images.quizilla.com/C/ChaosDraco/1056586973_entsIfrit8.JPG
    http://www.andyparkart.com/images/gallery/concept/god_of_war_ii/titan02.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    He doesn't have any deltoids/shoulders
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That second image is Ifrit from Final Fantasy 8....pretty much nothing to do with that area of mythology.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    From the references...each of them had distinctive features and kind of inconsistent.

And yeah the second one didn't really make sense.

I would definitely look into the God Of War theme a little more.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    it can still be an inspiration without being someone else's interpretation of chronus.

he's looking a little generic at the moment, though seems too early to tell.

random rant: i hate seeing that fucking shader on everything out of zbrush. just show me the model.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, continuing on sectaurs' post, he does look generic. His face is reading very ape-like (a lot of interpretations of Cronus have that going for him though, so that's not too big a deal)..keep working at it though.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, It's the end of day 2. I got a late start again today, but I got a bit done. I redid the arm cause the first one wasn't good.

About the references, I liked different things about each one of those and they contain qualities that I'll try to capture, but ultimately, the design I'm making up as I go.

Progress Day 2:

TitanWIP2.jpg

Also started texturing. Early stages though.
    TitanWIP3.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I changed the name of the post to my 20 week work Dump because I graduate in 20 weeks and so I will be dumping all of my stuff in here...instead of making many other posts

Ok, so Here is something different that I worked on this weekend. I participated in something called 'Game Jam'...and we basically make prototypes of games in 2 and a half days. So, here goes:

Day 1: The concept.

CharacterConcepts1.jpg

After explaining the concept to another team mate...she did a concept for the head since I had to do something else at the time.
    characterfaceconcepts.jpg

Then after talking to my team, I drew up a 'final concept' and painted it.

CharacterPerspective.jpg

Day 2: I started modeling and unwrapped

Day 2 night and day 3 morning: I textured and prepared it for 'presentation'

Char4.jpg

Char3.jpg

Char2.jpg

Char1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    eeek it would be beter without the ground,
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will get rid of it...someone else said it looked like burnt pizza. hah.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that's disturbing me a bit is the tattoo on his arm. It looks like it was pressed into his arm. Not sure if you used crazybump or somthing similar to add some surface detail to the normal, but I'd recommend taking the tattoo out of the normal. Also, you could probably make the blacks of the tattoo a bit less black and bring it a little more into the very dark blue range. I think it would go a far way to making them look much better.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, It's added to the list of things I need to change. I will post the updates soon (I'm trying to figure out everything wrong before changing it..so I can say "I only worked on it 4 days total"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    A lot of it is pretty good for the amount of time you spent, but you would benefit a great deal from using some ref and getting your proportions right, even when working fast. The head's way off, i dunno why nobody mentioned it yet.

2ntwgfo.jpg

edit: lol, my nose is too high -- that isn't halfway down. Still, my point's the same. laugh.gif
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Bazooka I modeled for a stylized character I'm working on. So, it's not supposed to be a realistic representation of a Bazooka.

Bazooka1.jpg

A quick texturing I did for fun one night. The model is made by Bobo_The_Seal and it's from
    This Thread

AldoBug.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The guy that goes along with the Bazooka: Critiques? So far, it's only diffuse, and it's all hand painted (well...except for the cig package on his helmet...which I'll go back and change.) The Tri count is of the character and all accessories except for the bazooka.

AryguyWires1.jpg

armyguyfeb6.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Nice soldier, however, the arms looks like they have been skinned with some knife only there is no blood... keep going.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff that I had to do for class (some/most of it was rushed):

ModelsPg1.jpg

ModelsPg2.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    That Bazooka seems small for the guy, considering how big his hands are.

I'm a bit confused by the sheep and wolf. Are they one piece or separate pieces?

I think your most strongest work in the bunch is that squid thing at the bottom. The normals and textures make sense (and are good) as well as the spec giving it a slimy feel to it. More of that.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique. I totally didn't take into account how big the character's hands are...I'll be fixing the Bazooka. The sheep and wolf went together for a 'render' I did. Here it is:

SheepWolf2.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so Its been a while since I've updated because of Dominance wars and class, but with only a few weeks left (about 6)..here goes.

Here's a Jeep that will be in the scene with my army guy. The textures aren't the best but it's not a center piece or anything like that. Critiques welcomed.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg