Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    *considers seppuku*
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    A UT3 character with full accessories is in the neighborhood of 10k tris. Mind you the LOD system is great in that game.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I second the SDK if you want to part with it for texturing purpose's, if not we understand.

Ace work Spitty! Glad to see an update.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin sweet! I need to try some armor one of these days.

I recently forced myself to learn xnormal because my computer/maya/max couldn't handle my high res mesh. I found great success with it. I recommend giving it a try. Even AO's are easy in there. Although they take some tweaking ...have a look around for tutorials before you even start.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dude holy crap, not sure how I missed this thread but it looks freaking sweet as hell. Get that into UT3! I wanna use him ! :)
  • Mohamed Rotab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mohamed Rotab polycounter lvl 11
    Just amazing ... very detailed
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for all the comments. i did some work on his textures over the weekend. its all still wip, especially as you go down to his feet so i didn't even show them. hopefully i can finish this beast next weekend. these are all screencaps from 3ds max.

visor_texturewip01.jpg

visor_texturewip02.jpg

visor_texturewip03.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Definitely liking those colors
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there!
    I think the material you have on the visor itself is quite true to the original, and nice!
    I'm not quite sold about the skin tho. If you really want to make it *this* green, maybe the blood color should reflect that (or the other way around). If you have red blood/pink epiderma this should show through the skin, and at the moment that one green hue looks very opaque...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep I agree with Pior, I love the look of the metal, but the green skin seems a bit off to me - I always thought visor had more pale, yellowish skin. If you lighten up the green and let the blood colour tint it a bit more towards red, I think it will be better.

Also then you could maybe push the metal diffuse a bit darker and get some nice light/dark contrast between the flesh and the metal. Currently it's all very similar brightness values.

At the moment my main piece of advice would be to try and get as much "large" contrasty areas as possible, since the normalmap has so much fine detail, if there isn't much brightness contrast then I fear the whole piece will end up looking really busy and hard to "read".

Impressive work though, keep it up.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I agree with the others, nice metal not so nice skin, would be nice if it looked more alive and less flat and dead. The orange on the armour also looks really pale, like it used to be a nice colour but faded in the sun, I reckon go for a more saturated colour and get more contrast in there. Its gonna be really cool when its done :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The original is kinda green, but he's also got lots of areas where it looks like the skin has rotted or gotten burnt or something and gone brown.

Hard to tell exactly what Scott was going for with the arms.
    http://data.earthli.com/quake/images/warriors/p_visor.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Green? Hes more brown than green IMO. Get a better monitor lol :)

visor.jpg
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah his skin is really basic right now, mostly a flat color, ao, an overlay, and the beginning of where the bloody bloody bits will be. thanks for the original skin odium, i'm definitely off on his skin color :) visor always reminded me of frankenstein, so that made me think of him as green.

i'm sure his skin would've turned more brownish yellow as i continued working on him, but its cool to get feedback from you guys to help steer me in that direction quicker.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    looking good dude! :) i'd up the spec on the skin, it definitely shouldn't be as shiny as metal, but it should still have some slight glossy stuff going on. and yeah all you really need at this point is to get some grunge on the armor and skin and then i think some color variation on the skin would go a long way
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Stunning work, haven't seen this much detail for a long time, you must feel mad happy over this.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done some more texture work on this guy, and i think i'm gonna call it done. crits are alway cool though.

i brought him into unreal 3 as a static mesh and created a pretty basic material. i'm a ue3 noob. i kind of doubt i'll actually make this into a playable character, i want to get back to my dominance war model and finish it.

here are some screen caps from unreal ed..
    visor_final01.jpg

visor_final_closeup.jpg

here's an animated gif turn around
    click me
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ace work. Inspiring!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    My gut reaction was to puke because of the sheer awesomeness.
    I loved this from the beginning but I didn't think you'd pull the texture work off as well as this.

... FUCK!
    You even managed to get the classic q3 rustic metal in there.

One thing I would change is the pinky/purple veins, I'd go for a dull blue. The gold metal pieces on the fingers comes off as a lil "bling" to me also, I would've tried for the rusty metal with a careful blood pass on the tips.

You have to make this a custom UT3 character sir.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Hell YES! Somebody that knows UT please help get this dude get in game!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Great combination of nostalgia and "wow" happening from that, congrats on the great piece.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    BONER!!!!
    yes, this is unbelievable work! This must be brought into UT3! (even though it feels like we're cheating on the latest id software engine)
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    put it in UT3. Now.

Lol, but seriosly thats freaking amazing.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    wow! i love the ingame screens ! i got a unrelated question about ut3 you export your models as ASE. right? does it support any other file type?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    This looks great. Is it possible you could post what your base meshes looked like? To get an idea what you actually brought into zbrush.
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Just amazing!, and he looks awsome in Ued
    Strange how a quake3 character feets so well in unreal univerese our days

Congrats!

PS: Its possible show the texture maps? will be very useful for some people
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    You've really pushed through with this and come out with something great. Well done!
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Individual details look good, and you got Visor's look down pretty damn well, but I think you may have gone overboard on details on the torso, mainly the shoulder pads and chest plate. It's incredibly busy, and I just have a hard time keeping focus on it. My eyes really do not know where to land, and that's just plain weird and, as far as I'm concerned, not good. I think the diffuse helped to break up the details into more manageable chunks (as far as my eyes are concerned), but it still strains my eyes to train them on a specific part of the torso.

Arms are swell past the shoulder pads as well, although I don't know about the color change on his fingers, plus the fingers just seem too big. Can't imagine him firing a gun like that, can't really imagine him even bending his fingers more than 10 degrees at each joint. I think that spike sort of thing you got on the elbow there looks great, too.

Good looking still, don't get me wrong. Torso just seems too noisy. I think you pulled off the mask really nicely, and the legs are really awesome looking (for legs). Not sure I dig the lights on his chest, but it may just be that they're too glowy/bright.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing the texture maps if you can post them.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Really great work here - love it! And its awesome to see you take it to completion
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    That is awesome man. Your texture work came out real nice just as well as your hi-res model. Makes me wanna make an UT3 character too.

My only crit would be that the blood right now looks a bit too saturated and not as real dried blood. Or if some areas of the blood was still fresh, I would try and add some more spec there in the spec map.

Also if the butt area where it is metal could be retopoed and made into a separate piece, may make it better for animating purpose, if I suppose you were to take it into UT3 as a playable character.

Awesome stuff!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    man thats sick