• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    some nice details on there! I think the hands look a bit too sausagey for what I understand Alien to be, but I love some of the sinewy goo you've got going on

edit: reading the specs again though, for that polycount you've got some very harsh edges going on.. not really low poly!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is copyrighted to one "Jinian".

By the looks of things you could probably have distributed the polies much better for that count, could you post your wires?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You have already posted this in another thread. Please stop making multiple threads posting the same work. I will leave this open for now since you're receiving critique on this particular piece.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    First I'll say I like it, but the first thing that got my attention was the aliens forearms, it made me think he had some dish gloves on.. not sure why they'd be that huge compared to his teeny arms
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why mirror the uvw's if the texture is gonna be identical on both sides?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Love the texture, don't like the model. Sorry but it looks like a 1000 - 2000 tri model and that may even be generous. I am fairly certain that if you were to show the wires we would see a lot of pollys that are not helping the shape or form of this guy. If you can, post up some wires on this guy so we can give you some more detailed crits.

It looks to me like you started out with something else in mind and then it evolved into this as you went along. Thats not really a bad thing but it does mean that a lot of the detail in your textures isn't being supported by the model geo.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    whats up with the untextured polys/unfinished polygons on the tail?
  • Jinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jinian polycounter lvl 18
    Pardon for the quite ambiguous design of the Alien, I know it may be leaps of what some may presume to be Alien.

Here are some shots of the wireframe:

postwire.jpg

postwire2.jpg

Alienwire.jpg
    I definitely know that the wires could've been distributed better, feel free to point out exactly what would've been better distributed.

Thanks for the critiques.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    ghsl8.jpg

For a start, the red lines on the top of the head indicate edges that are doing nothing to help define the shape, either loose them or make them add to the roundness of the head (I would loose them and redistro the extra polys). On the torso the same thing except here you should try and make the loop do more for the shape of the chest area. The circled area is a total mess, a LOT of usless loops that add nothing that the texture can't do better.

I won't go any futher as I'm sure the things I pointed out give you an idea of what to look for and improve on throughout the model.

Try keep your poly distrobution even as much as possible, this is not low poly spec and would look really bad rigged like one but rigged as a medium poly model as it should be you will find a lot of bad deformations where your poly distro is bad.

Hope this all makes sense, I'm tired as hell atm and can't really think streight.

Feel free to jump in here fellas.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    the areas where you couls crape some polys away are excactly the ones xaltar pointed out already + the front of the pelvis and maybe the wrists/fingers.
  • Jinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any critiques regarding my color map? What often is really painted inside a color map for game models, are they painted so that the lighting is always overhead, i don't quite understand what exactly do i need to emphasize on my painting other than to show form and roundness.

Also i understand game models are for real-time, but is seeing your models through texture mode of your 3d user interface enough to judge it or do you need a plugin or something to check your work. Can anyone recommend me a professional real-time display viewer to check the final output of your game model without rendering it. I use Xsi and Maya.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    use any game engine and import your model into it to see whats its like in real-time. ut3, crysis etc..
  • Jinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there any that you can display it in the 3d package you are using? How do i even begin to find out where i can get those real-time engines you say and load it into my 3d interface?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    well i'm not familiar with maya or xsi much, not sure if they have an option for realtime viewing. those engines come with the video games...
  • Rayne13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, maya has realtime lighting. turn on textures and select "high quality preview" XSI also has it, but I"m not sure how to use that one quite as well as I know max/maya.
  • Jinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone care to give me critique on my color map?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'll tell you what I said in the other thread,
    your diffuse is at once too simple and too noisy. You've blocked out some major shapes with very little shading or value and relied on a heavy-handed rust overlay to carry the textures which makes it look like, well, rust.

you've got these pretty cool ropey vein things going on, but they're literally just draped all over the model, over complete black more often than not.

take off the rust overlay and see if the texture still looks good. if not - keep working until it does. overlays are the final, subtle touch that brings a piece together, not the brunt of the work.

additionally, if you're not going to mirror the uvws, don't mirror the texture.
  • Jinian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique. I see what you mean, and painting the texture and comparing it with some other pre-next gen game textures i've seen professionally done(my alien was done a long time ago just when zbrush was first coming out), mine does tend to look more washed out. But then again, shouldn't it be the output in the end, what it looks like when seen in real-time and rendered. I also relied heavily on the bump mapping to get those details out to replace the need for a higher level of shading and value in the textures. And i guess if i used normal maps, there is even a lesser need of this.

But anyways, im not so sure how much better the model would look like if i shade in more value and tonal range in my textures like you said, while at the same time using bump mapping to cover up this loss, and seeing the model from the distance it is presented in. Regardless of that, maybe you can still offer some techniques on how to shade in the lack of value and tonal range like you stated, and your photoshop workflow on how you paint your own textures.

The veins covering the model behind black is part of the design, I was trying to go for cadaver, plant-like look. The black represents the dark emptiness inside.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jinian, it's looking pretty nice so far. Since you didnt mirror the uv's, you could take advantage of that and add some asymmetry in the texture maps. Also in regards to techniques to painting tonal range and value...what I tend to do is I set aside a color pallet off to the side of my canvas space in PS. That way you can easily sample those tones and gradually "blend" them when painting. I'm sure everyones techniques vary though...so just keep experimenting and see what works for you man. Keep it up! smile.gif
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    amazing texture work imho. i think it have only some wasted space on uvs and like guys on previous posts said, you really don't need to mirror things that are almost textured in the same way...
    add also some cuts to arm and legs to animate better, because that big angles ruins the overall esthetic.
    simply go thought your model and simplify the pieces that have a lot of small triangles, and then add them to smooth your silhouette.
    In realtime models the general shape is most important compared to micro-details that also could be done with some texturing and normalmapping tricks

I work as programmer and I'm doing my own 3d engine and a fps-style techdemo, if you're interested joining our small group to gain experience in lowpoly workflow for games feel free to contact me, i think you can also help us a lot.
    I can also code a realtime viewer with shaders support too for your previews
    just mail me at eclipse@wehaveexplosive.com

parts where i think you need to simplify your geometry in red, parts where i think you need to add more polygons to smooth the shapes in blue
    6q0z6tf.png

6ydup95.png
    keep up, it's a good work and it could turn in a very nice model