Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount UT3 - CTF Map

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Gameplay Scenario: 2 battle cruisers side by side. Grappling hooks locking them together. Players will be able to walk either walk across the huge cables, use a JumpPad to get to the other side. There will be access to turrets but i'm not sure how many I will use. Probably 1 or 2. The flag is located in the central core, which will be visible from the upper deck but players will not be able to jump down onto the flag.

Extra Objective Idea: I made a test map with a context use senario where the flag was protected by a shield and where you would need to deactivate the shield in order to get the flag. In my kismet tests, this works well, but not sure how players would react to a new gameplay element in Capture the Flag.

CTF_PaintOver.jpg

As you can see from the layout I made in SketchUp, I want the upper floor to be easy to navigate with with the power core being where the flag is located. There are also 4 entrances upper level, for easy access to the outside of the ship.

SC_UpperDeck.jpg

The lower level has the flag in the center with multiple escape routes and no dead ends. Teleporters would provide quick movement from the outside to the ship to the inside.

SC_FlagLevel.jpg

Comments, suggestions are appreciated laugh.gif I am starting a greymap pass with bsp today to get the sense of scale and gameplay.

Replies

• vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea, but as far as gameplay goes, I don't see much vertical gameplay in there, UT being a fast paced game, especially with CTF, verticality is a strong addition to a level IMO.
    I like the shield thing to protect the flag too, I guess it can be a nice addition if done well and can enhance the core gameplay quite a bit, guess the playtests will tell smile.gif
    I'll be happy to playtest the level though smile.gif
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    A CTF-Map with a touch of assault?
    I´m all for it! crazy.gif

Sounds and looks awesome!
    I think it would be cool if the ships were shaking and vibrating occasionally from the attacks when you´re inside.
    I´ll be watching this!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    loooooove the setting !
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl: i have to build the bsp and add some Z-Axis definitely.

Slaught: yep, i really miss assault which is why i'm playing around with the shield idea. would make capturing the flag just a little more fun.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Go for it! I think the kismet idea is awesome, just convey the information clearly to the players and it should be all good, I cant wait to see how kismet is used to do cool stuff smile.gif
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    Great pre-production, that's the way smile.gif
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    awesome, get your sketchup model imported in the editor and try out the gameplay right away I'd say!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think the idea is great...were it me I'd add an area around the map with low grav in the event they fall off the cables or lose their footing.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the idea is great...were it me I'd add an area around the map with low grav in the event they fall off the cables or lose their footing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was considering teleporting the player to their base, so to keep the frustration to a minimum.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    or you could have some sort of telescoping arm / tunnel that connects to other ships for boarding/docking/etc.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Might be fun to go with a space pirate theme and put in some jump boosters to different levels of the ship.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    that's pretty sick. very nice job setting a very reasonable context for the game. great idea.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool looking so far, just a suggestion though. If you saw fit to try and add other objectives other than just killing, and capturing flags? Let's say... blowing up the engines or destroying the bridge. That sort of thing, anyways keep up the good work.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I think being able to trigger up some clutter and obstacles on the level would help spice it up some more...after its in the middle of combat.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    too many gimmicks would derail too much from the original gameplay and confuse the players, I think his shield idea is perfect on that sense, people will remember that map as "the ctf where you have the shields to disable to get the flag", which is good, more isn't always better.

just my 2 cents tho
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been over a month since my last update. Alot has happened, the usual mini crunches we experience in development smile.gif But I'm finally at an alpha stage of the map. Its currently only in greymap form using BSP to block out the level. I've been playing it over and over, trying to balance out the gameplay.

Layout in BSP
    BSP-Overview.jpg

Flag Room
    GreyMap02.jpg

Reactor Area
    GreyMap01.jpg

Gun Turret Placements
    GreyMap03.jpg

After I'm happy with the balance, I'll add some bots and watch them play out the level. Then, I'll release another alpha and let you guys play it for feedback laugh.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    awesome! great to see it blocked out. i can't wait to see what this is going to look like when it's all arted up.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i'll most def give the blockout a spin to give ya some feedback!! lookin cool.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I hope that those two walk ways there are not the only ways into the base, otherwise your looking at some serious choke points on the map and it will be major unbalanced.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    the concepts show a few jumpers on top.
  • Legion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion polycounter lvl 11
    Looks nice Lee3dee, just a couple comments though. I don't know if you have a plan to do this or not but the sides of the ship might look a bit plain if just textured with a few objects placed upon it, if you don't have plans to add more stuff I would advise against it. Such as adding say exhaust vents, or a hanger. Just a couple suggestions, but again it's looking good. Keep up the good work.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Well, obviously he's going to add more. This is an initial blocking for testing gameplay...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium: the 2 bridges are not permanent, they are just for me to experiment with. I was thinking of at least 4 ways to get across to the other side. jump pads are an option i'm looking into. I'm also looking a teleporter, only 1 of those since I don't want people to be abusing it. and I'm not sure if a flag can go through since its mainly designed for CTF. I'm open to suggestions on travel methods.

Legion: I'd prefer to get the balance and gameplay working before focusing on decoration. Its easier for me to move or replace BSP brushes quickly should i need to mix up the level. It will definately be seeing an art pass smile.gif
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Theres that crazy Gel-pack type stuff that is in one of the DM space maps in UT3. It's uber slow travel, but offers a cool sort of 360 fighting/traveling style (could manipulate the speed in the volume in the engine though). Might be a bit slow/complex/out of style for this map, but an idea anyways.

All I can picture for this is that 2010 (bad movie hah) transport where the guys get in these cable car space-suits that move at a steady pace in between the new and the old ship. Probably won't get that if you've never seen the movie.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reached Alpha this morning, the bots are behaving pretty well, but theres a few problems that I encountered playtesting it last night. I also need to place weapon pickups and health packs. Should be releasing the alpha sometime this week for those who are interested in providing feedback smile.gif

CTFLayoutNew.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I like old-school space jump-maps. Takes me back to QuakeIII days. Keep it up Lee. Looking good. I'm curious how you'll create the ship exteriors.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Level design looks cool. Seems pretty reasonable. I'd love to test it out, however. Especially cause i just started my first DM map so i am curious to see others' wips at the same time wink.gif
    And i could provide some fb after testing i guess.

Keep it up, good job.