Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robo something or other

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Update..
He's an early peacekeeping robot used in war zones. unfortunately, the lack of emotional intelligence led to all sorts of problems interacting with people. after many accidents, the unit was recalled and laws prohibiting robotic enforcement were passed.
that's the story I've thought up anyway smile.gif

I haven't really touched the head yet.. i'm having a tricky time thinking up designs. any ideas, or any other critiques would be nice.

Dude_2_Front.jpg
Dude_2_back.jpg
Dude_2_CU.jpg
dude_grey.jpg
dude_wire.jpg

Replies

• Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the arms and legs!
    I think the edges are a bit sharp, especially on the shoulders.
    Maybe add another loop there to smooth it out.
    Nice work anyway. grin.gif
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    cool, be sure to give him a robo face with lots of character, his body already goes great with a unique persona
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    lookin cool. agree with slaught with the shoulders. maybe even the butt area could use another loop so its not so sharp.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm I think you guys might be right about the shoulders. when i modeled him, I was trying to exadurate the shapes and i liked the simplistic form of the shoulder, but i suppose if it's just reading as jagged and uncomfortable, that's the way she goes. what i really want out of this guy is to push the forms as much as a i can.. i'd like the shoulder to be distinctly separated from the other forms next to it. in this way, i kinda like the arm so far (and thanks, slaught) but i'm having a whole holy shit of a time carying that over to the body. maybe if I add more of the padding and break up the torso everywhere, that would be cool...

thanks for the comments.

steady- thanks, yeah, i'm still messing with ideas for his face. hopefuly i can come up with something alright.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see ya still posting and working on personal stuff John!
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks kub. it's been a while smile.gif i may have been a little crazy for a while there.. don't tell anyone.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, so...

bump.

any crits? I'm having a hellofatime with the head.. maybe i should make something more human in appearance..
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Generally, when I'm conceptualizing a head, I can get an idea for what I want from the eyes. Create some "eyes" for it, and maybe that will inspire you?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Just make sure to use spell check for final image.. internaltional? laugh.gif
  • Darksun
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    lol sounds like he's got the ED209 Prime-Directive glitch going on, heh.
    I like the fact that he has no face, it could end up looking really "cyber" just like everything everyone makes. I'd say if you have to anything, make it more oldschool.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm hahaha i suppose it is a little cliche, come to think of it.. odd, maybe I discount movies as reality so much, that when i have an idea i don't check to see if it's been done.. all those b movies are "stupid" and certainly not real. heh that's no good...
    dammit. maybe I'll go with another backstory and give him a human head... hmmmmmmmmm
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Nice dude.- I dig the head a lot. The little beady eyes and the text are actually a pretty cool and I don't think I`Ive ever really seen that before. the "I can`t understand your jokes bit" is killer too. you can tell you really thought a bit about the fiction behind this.

style crits:

for the text, you might want to try making it look like all that stuff was printed on a sticker, that was later put on after the assembly, Also, all the text is one size. you might want to try messing with making different parts be different sizes. Usually such warning labels have sub-text, and the smaller text adds a nice break down of detail.

example of what I`m talking about a bit:
    arcFlashLabel2.gif

The mouth bit looks a bit dated,- you might want to experiment with adding a bit more geometry there to make it look as if the face place has a section removed, where theres a few layers of under paneling and a round speaker protruding out, sorta like a gas mask, but maybe play with some shapes and see if you can escape the cliche form of the gas mask.

I know you only broke the armor up where it makes sense, but some extra breaks would help the visual aspect a bit.

The arms are compartmentalized in a completely different way than the rest of the body. Break the leg paneling up a bit into a few smaller sections to match the rhythm of the paneling in the arms. The back for example is sort of the same thing. really plain, which is cool, but looks a bit off next to your heavily broken up arms.

I dunno though thats all I got-
  • fatatattat
    Offline / Send Message
    fatatattat polycounter lvl 17
    that thing looks cool

i agree with konstruct about the mouth, but i think it still looks neat
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    The legs look very low detail and boring in comparison to the arms in the wireframe view, and the texture. Shape them up as well.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    Konstruct, thanks a lot for the kind words and the feedback. you've rekindled my confidence in the head hehe. that's a good idea about the sticker, i'll definately make those changes. as far as the rythm in the arms goes, i completely agree with you. the trouble is that i'm having a hell of a time breaking up the body and legs in a way that makes sense; i guess i have a better "feel" for arm anatomy than i do for the rest of the body.. but i guess that's just an excuise anyway.

you guys are right. i'll go break appart the legs.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I absolutely love the concept of a "I can't understand your jokes. Be safe" warning. very clever.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    rather than lacking in form the head lacks mechanical details that would make it beleivable. some panelling, around the eyes and mouth and possibly over the top of the head could be all you need. the mouth grill is also lacking in the painting side, get some lovely highlights and maybe a meshed metal interior. ATM it looks like a PS effect =P

love the concept, its like a military C3PO